• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I don't know much about the GWR (as you  know!) but the shed you've got looks similar to that at Ashburton. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashburton_railway_station

As far as I can tell from the photos it's about the right length as it is.   Also, I suspect that once it's accompanied by the main ticket office and other peripheral buildings ithe area won't seem as bare.

Besides, if the shed were too long then we wouldn't be able to see the trains!

cheers

Ben A.

There are some plans afoot on the signalling side and I have thought of putting in some rodding ( I have the rods but no idea where I could purchase all the other little parts that I would need!)......

I shall get on with fitting a colour light Starter signal to the through platform...(part of the 1960's signalling upgrade, however Tormouth box has been retained and is being upgraded to modern standards as it now controls the entire block all the way from main spur South of Exeter, through the smaller intermediate stations as far as the Terminus at Chudleigh Balterton.....As technology advances on the WR and Tormouth being a 30 lever frame it made sense that it became the main "Power Box" and the old intermediate boxes have been locked out and closed down.  So essentially a little cameo scene on the platform with be a couple of engineers decommissioning the old semaphore/working on the new signal...

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 2

Hi all, today some more bits arrived... A CR Signals double yard lamp kit to replace the one I broke, difficulty rating 8/10 i will in future buy the ready made kits again!!

I started by making up the station approach signals which let the diver know which platform they will arrive at, then fitted the up platform starter and laid a langley dummy signal to mark the signal upgrades..

Also the security fencing has begun to be added along with some ex lyddle end diesel tanks and a walkway to get down from a loco..post-18903-0-38296200-1411508044_thumb.jpg

Got a stuck pm so will need to sort that when I wire all the signals in before the weekend!

post-18903-0-60212200-1411508082_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-50355600-1411508055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

Well where would we be without my evening update eh?

So all the wiring done now for the new signals and they work as required... The cr signals yard lamp I built doesnt work so is destined for the bin and a fully built one will be procured!!

The depot now has all its security fencing from Ancorton Models installed and the barbed wire fitted..

post-18903-0-60850400-1411597747_thumb.jpg

Have begun to add the station yard to bring it level with the rear of the platform, a slope access road can be seen moving up to a larger area.

post-18903-0-68955600-1411597803_thumb.jpg

Wiring wise i've also added DCC connections and the switches to turn lights off etc under the board, so now only one kettle lead is required to power everything.. The transformers have been hidden away out of inquisitive finger reach too!!

It has its first scrutiny this weekend at our NGS meet so i'm trying to get as much done as I can without rushing..

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Lazy evening!! So just some new buffers to save the platform and some buffer lamps!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Are they  the Train Tronic lights?

If they are, I found them a little bright so put a wash of thinned out black over them (with power disconnected and left them to dry) and its toned them down nicely.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Tarting up the yard, adding bits and pieces... Not sure about the old kettle being left to rust though!! ;)attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Left to rust?! Looks more like a static display model to me; far too clean and way too much paint still on it to have been abandoned... :jester:

Maybe have a squad of business-types gathered round it and a Lowmac with crane pulling into the yard to take it on its way to some preserved line or other...

Anyway, it all looks really good, and I love the cameos...

David

So we have now levelled up the station yard to the platform using Wilkos Elephant Filler!! and applied a rough paint coat before planting begins!! The road meanders along the platform until its level with the High Street it goes up about 12mm so about 6ft in real terms...

post-18903-0-41525500-1412095868_thumb.jpg

Whilst it was drying I thought i should tackle the shipping aspects of the layout, submitted a couple of plans to "Engage" of this very forum for approval and settled on his idea of less is more, my original plan called for enough wood and bracing to build a small shed... However once I had come back to my senses I realised a smaller design would do the job just as well and not bankrupt me in the process!!

post-18903-0-22566300-1412096100_thumb.jpg

My wood working skills were pretty poor when I started modelling a few years back, but they are improving with each layout and build..yes there is an unwanted hole or two in places but they have been caulked... ;)

post-18903-0-40952000-1412096126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 1

So paint dried now and put on the base coat of the grass. You can see I have also levelled up the main platform.

Tried to take a photo as well to show the angle and height of the station yard

post-18903-0-00681000-1412189091_thumb.jpgpost-18903-0-57835700-1412189691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I got to see Tormouth for the second time yesterday - it's looking very good.  And we couldn't resist the chance to pose John's Hymek in the locoshed.

post-420-0-29163100-1412600694_thumb.jpg

The layout is set in the South West, and Paul is planning to operate it in two eras - 1969 (he's keen on green and blue diesels) - and present day (as we have lots of suitable stock!) so the station and building signage will be removable (probably via magnets) to allow both eras to be depicted.  There may be some compromises but a lot of railway infrastructure is fairly long-lived so hopefully it won't look too odd.

There's be a row of buildings along the back edge, and the backscene requires some finishing.

I hadn't seen the signal box "in the flesh" before - it really is quite superb.... especially with all the working signals Paul's fitted...

post-420-0-61070300-1412600709_thumb.jpg

The layout's now found its way to my house as I have promised Paul I will help out with the scenics around the cliffs and the sea.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2