Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Waddon Marsh Revived!

Pete 75C

Latest update from Scotland. Houses are part finished and dumped in place for 'look' as is gas holder with some rust etc. Ground been covered in brown under paint to get rid of white polystyrene etc. Off to RailEx NE with Airthrey Park today and will get scenic stuff. Wiring next and will probably add a lot more feeds. The Signalling is sorted out and will happen with wiring. Some will go 'off scene' Also contemplating a gas pipe over bridge gantry as a scenic break? I know where wasn't one there, but no trees and not much else leave me with little option but a bit of fiction? Still progress, if a little slow. 

post-657-0-67042700-1408700463_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Not dead, not at all so don't worry.......just snoozing. I am in an electrical log jam. Waddon Marsh is next on the bench for DCC fettling and point motor fitting. But I cannot jump the queue. I am loathed to push on too hard on scenics if it is being flipped and knocked by solder team. Still we now have sound fitted 2EPBs x 2 New Heljan 33033 4CEP and 4VEP for a bit of 'what might have been' through working. Also an 09 repainted into Blue for sound fitting when complete to shunt the coal wagons around...... patience team, patience!!

• Like 5

Thank you Gridwatcher for taking over Pete's superb little layout.   I have had to spend my summer straining myself to clear the garage contents into a skip, then my shed contents into the garage, and demolish the shed to make way for another patio!   So my railway modelling has had to be reviewed to suit the garage.   Yesterday, I finally got my test line, the length of the garage on a shelf, up and running.   My "Beddington Lane Halt and Sidings" is now definitely a dining room table-top layout!   The arrival of the Hornby 2-HAL has prompted me to email Hornby asking for the first release of it as 'BR early crest' to be unit 2622 which was photographed by my late friend John Wills at West Croydon when it substituted for 2-EPBs during their conversion to 'electric' rear light operation in 1958/1959.   Being able to purchase a Kernow bargain priced new Hornby SR 2-BIL last week, I have recommenced the construction of a 2-WIM.

For those interested in the WC-W, Huntley Archives offer access to three films of the line.   1930 journey by 2-WIM, 1950s journey on a steam freight and a run just before closure.

Now that I am back, I will see what details I can find of the Wandle Park footbridge.   More data on the WC-W operation has been found and I wonder if there are others interested in modelling the line in the 'BR early crest' era with both steam and diesel traction?   How is Lifeboatman getting on with his side of the Purley Way bridge?  

Regards, Colin.      

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.   So the Lifeboat sank and with it went west of the Purley Way bridge!   Manor Road and Wallington station were at their best in the 1950s and 1960s!!!   So I am not going there.

Glad the Wandle Park footbridge is in mind as a scenic break.   The bridge was 'recycled' and purchased by the Swanage Railway, so still exists.   However, I will revert on this in due course but must continue singing 'WIM away' if unit 1811 is to be seen at "West Croydon" in the Wimbledon MRC show at Carshalton on 1st./2nd. November.   Regards, Colin.

Some time before lunch, so back to Gridwatcher.   There are at least 11 views of the footbridge as it is now at Corfe Castle, when you Google 'Corfe Castle railway footbridge' and it does not seem too different other than being on a platform.   In searching for something else in the house, I found my old headcode book with those introduced from May 1978 which I thought would interest you.   The passenger service went from '2' to '1' and the following came into use for freight -

1A   Norwood - Waddon Marsh     1B   Norwood - Mitcham - Wimbledon     1C   Bricklayers Arms - Norwood - Mitcham - Wimbledon     2C   Waddon Marsh - Wimbledon - Fawley

GH   LMR - Kensington Olympia - Crystal Palace - Waddon Marsh     and   GJ   LMR - Kensington Olympia - Selhurst - Waddon Marsh. 

Bit more on the Wandle Park footbridge.   Below is a map outline of its shape, hope its not too small.   This bridge was one of two similar footbridges on the footpath from central Croydon into Wandle Park.   On www.geograph.org.uk/photo/w673339 will be found a view of the remaining footbridge of the two.   This should be useful for you in showing the stairways down to ground level.   Best of luck and look forward to seeing your scenic break.

post-22373-0-38307600-1412081499.jpg

Thanks, Pete.   "Manor Road" or "Wallington-on-Sea"???   Remember the lake that formed beneath the railway bridge there whenever there was a downpour, before they put in the storm drains.   Well, I do and you rightly refer it as the 'dismal end'!   At least in the good old days the top end had trams and then trolleybuses without today's rush-hour congestion at the crossroads.   Trams to Wallington next appear on "West Croydon" at the Croydon MRS show at Warlingham schools this coming weekend.   All the best, Colin.

Remember the lake that formed beneath the railway bridge there whenever there was a downpour, before they put in the storm drains.

Yeah, happy memories. I remember my Dad trying to cycle through it once. That ended badly.

post-17811-0-98713900-1412093706.jpg

post-17811-0-27988500-1412093862.jpg

Edit: apologies to Simon (gridwatcher) for going totally off-topic!

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Very interesting pictures, Pete.   I see the Andrews advert on the bridge.   I worked for Andrews and Brian, their Surrey director, who lived in Wallington, transferred me from managing their Purley office to resuscitating the one at Coulsdon in 1990.   Immediately the Quarry Line bridge over the A23 there caught my attention for advertising.   Brian pursued this for me to find opposition from the MoT for such advertising would distract users of their roads!   However, the bridge near their newly opened Wallington office had no advertising on it and was over a local authority road.   So Andrews got it!!!   Small world.  

Keep it coming I am enjoying this and it deflects from the fact that the extra DCC wiring hasn't started yet!!

Si

I deliberately didn't wire it up to give you something to do! I've just wired up "Manor Road" for DCC and for a simple BLT I'm absolutely amazed at the jungle of wiring under the board. Two wires my *rse..! Looking forward to some pics as and when. Pete.

A model of the Waddon Marsh (WM) signal box - an update.   With the help of ABMrailcraft, I had started on converting their parts for the Ifield box into one for Beddington Lane (BL).   If the mock-up was successful for this three window bays box then I would try a mock-up for the four window bays WM one.   If these proved OK then a kit of parts to built either BL or WM would be considered by ABM.   I have produced one side and the doorway end for BL but found that to complete would need a great deal more photocopying of the ABM sheets than originally envisaged.   I have for the moment suspended further work on this as other things have taken priority,

Small world, as I used to value and survey houses in and around Croydon and you always managed to add some transport aspect to the house I was surveying. 

Still surveying but now down in Gloucestershire. 

Following this topic with interest.

Malcolm

A model of the Waddon Marsh (WM) signal box - an update.   With the help of ABMrailcraft, I had started on converting their parts for the Ifield box into one for Beddington Lane (BL).   If the mock-up was successful for this three window bays box then I would try a mock-up for the four window bays WM one.   If these proved OK then a kit of parts to built either BL or WM would be considered by ABM.   I have produced one side and the doorway end for BL but found that to complete would need a great deal more photocopying of the ABM sheets than originally envisaged.   I have for the moment suspended further work on this as other things have taken priority,

Would be very interested and I will say I have a laser cut kit from L Cut creative (actually two kits as no back walls at Waddon Marsh) Size is spot on and the type is almost exactly the same...... It MAY work?  !!

Malcolm.   Are you the Malcolm S of whom I and Glenn knew before his moving to the Forest of Dean area?   Are you the one who used to come in a chat to me in the late 1980s at Andrews at Purley on valuations and getting the keys for surveys?   I hope so, as I had wondered how you had been fairing since.   Kind regards, Colin.

Many thanks for the introduction of L Cut Creative to me.   When I saw 'LCC' showing up on their site, my heart raced - could they also do London County Council architecture???   I have downloaded their manual and bookmarked the videos.   So will delve further in due course.

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

You are correct. Still in touch with Glenn who has now retired but has a very active life in Coulsdon. 

Have been living here for 26 years close to the Dean Forest Railway and Perrygrove Railway. Waiting to take both grandaughters on Santa specials more likely 2015.

Managed to visit San Francisco this year and enjoyed the PCC cars on the F line as well as the cable cars best late at night when its just your group and the crew. Trolleybus routes as well. Must go back soon.

Great to hear from you, Malcolm.   Glad you enjoyed Frisco.   I must get back sometime as the electric tram system there has almost doubled since I last went and drove a fully loaded Boeing throughtout the Market Street subway.   Half my time is spent with family in Kent doing the school run around the remains of Hawkhurst station.   After a day on the footplate of 'Bodiam', I joined K&ESR six years ago, so my grandchildren have already had their Santa Special.   However, they get more excitement going on the tram to the park than the train to Bodiam!   Last week I visited the new Robertsbridge Junction station - tremendous work going on, just one farmer and the Highways Agency to square before connection to K&ESR.   Only been to Coulsdon once since I retired from there in 1998.   Joined Baistow Eves in George Street when the trams started and finally retired from there in 2006.   Glenn had hope I would have joined him on the trams instead.   So my commuting life to Croydon began with four years on the first generation and my last six years on the second generation of trams.   In fact I have just returned home from what is a 'winter' regular morning run on the tram so adding to the 30m. passenger journeys reached each year.

Currently, I am under pressure to complete a 2-WIM to be seen on "West Croydon" at the Wimbledon MRC show, first weekend of November, so coffee break over and off to work!   Colin.     

• Like 1

At the risk of hijacking the thread, San Francisco's system is definitely interesting with the street running Breda high floor cars in the suburbs using the old street car tunnels etc. 

Back to the Waddon Marsh thread, I have a Bachmann 2 EPB for a West Croydon Wimbledon project,with an E4 on pre order, need a SEF E6 for the coal trains to Croydon B. One C class allocated to Norwood Junction but did this make it onto the line on coal trains?

C2X worked the other freights but I can remember Ws on some workings to Beddington Lane sidings. 

It's a great project as you can achieve much in a small area as Pete 75C has done so far.

Hi, Malcolm.   Talking of hijacking the thread, I am concerned that the extensive data and images I have on the WC-W line for pre-1970's are outside this thread and the section it is within.   Not being aware of any other interest in this period, I will contact you direct.