Brierfield signal box

• RMweb Gold

This is an increasingly common theme now, as more boxes close. It's a pity that no other use could be found for it, and also that it's got to be demolished so quickly. Presumably it isn't completely unique, otherwise it surely would have been listed by English Heritage?

I used to be a relief TCS at Preston, and this area was part of the patch. I well remember a 'Saturday night out with a difference' with a Preston crew, after I worked a Saturday late turn one day - I accompanied them up to Carlisle and back down the S&C in the cab of a 47 on a diverted express... great times!

• RMweb Gold

I lived in Brierfield and used to catch the train to work in Preston from there. I occasionally shared a platform with boxes of chicks and / or cress in the days when it was manned. Nostalgia isn't what it was. Sad to see the box going, even sadder to see the line singled from Gannow Junction.

Well just an update on the box I've been given my shifts for next week and brierfield is not going at this present time. The contractors have a bigger job what needs to be done first down south so brierfield is staying for the time being

Now have I got a kit to build (lol)

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple more of Brierfield before the staff got the heave-ho.

post-7024-0-54232700-1402945088_thumb.jpg

Sign on the downside platform

post-7024-0-09733500-1402945640_thumb.jpg

Cress on the upside platform waiting for the next dmu to Preston. No passengers, just cress

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived