Any experience painting after replacing the EFE tube front handrails

Andy Reichert

I'm seriously interested in replacing my EFE tube cab end handrails with more scale wire ones.

The serious problem I anticpate, will be matching the colour and finish of the "scar" area under the new rails sufficiently well to make the change blend in invisibly.

Has anyone already tried or done this?. If so, with which paints and how successfully?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I've tried it unsuccessfully.......

Am thinking that until my skills are up to a complete respray that I'm stuck with them.  Since the body is made of red plastic (at least for the 38 stock) then because plastic pigments aren't the same as paint pigments I'll never get a decent match wihtout a complete respray?

I think the exterior is painted and is not just the plastic in its "as moulded" state. If you look at the inside of the body shell, the interior is unpainted and is a shade of orange with an exterior colour overspray shadow at the bottom. So there is hope that a matching paint shade is possible. The paint does seem to have some "depth" so it may have a clear varnish topcoat which might complicate colour matching.

• 5 months later...

I've started work on my 1962 pilot unit again. The four cars were all 1962 stock numbered 1570-2440-9441-1441. Car 1570 was racing green as it was all that was left of the previous unit after a collision with a 1996 unit it was pushing!!

It was married up with a silver unit and was used to transport 1995/6 units from Ruislip. It is now the west end Central line RAT train although that post dates my layout.

The main aspect of this project is to hopefully demonstrate that EFE cars can be resprayed. The first car 1441 was actually in corporate livery. Photos to follow of the progress....

I repainted the cream window pillars into red on my first issue 1938 stock from EFE using Cherry paints LT train red - a very good match for the EFE colour.

I'm not sure if the Cherry paints are still available but I did get some more mixed up from the local paint store to match a panel I painted using the Cherry paint colour.

You could try taking the EFE item into a paint shop and seeing if they can scan the colour to mix a sample pot for you - that relies on there being a sufficient surface area to scan on the model.

The next series of photos show car 1441 from the strip down phase to painting.

The EFE car had the glazing removed and modifications to turn it into a pilot car. The 1990s upgrade PEA equipment which looks ugly but is authentic was added and as much of the livery was sanded off as possible.

The huge grab rails were also removed as were a few of the mould lines which remain on all the cars (why not!).

post-16501-0-05584700-1409304513_thumb.jpg

post-16501-0-30201100-1409304534_thumb.jpg

A word on the masking; I use Tamiya tape which produces a crisp line. The other tape is some rubbish cheap stuff which fills the remaining gaps.

The car was then given a Humbol (11) Silver spray.

Placed next to a silver EFE car it doesn't look to far away. The roof is yet to be treated.  After a varnish it will look as delivered - although a different finish will be applied to these cars......

post-16501-0-28345700-1409304974_thumb.jpg

post-16501-0-61405000-1409304990_thumb.jpg

The car has now been provided with a post 1990s look with the scars from graffiti! In reality the acid wash could never totally remove the hallmarks of the vandals and faint marks were left.

The pristine silver look has been darkened with several shades of watered down black paint (with a drop of cheap washing up liquid to help it flow).

post-16501-0-05664400-1409915365_thumb.jpg

post-16501-0-58559100-1409915395_thumb.jpg

post-16501-0-71910100-1409915416_thumb.jpg

The car has now been provided with a post 1990s look with the scars from graffiti! In reality the acid wash could never totally remove the hallmarks of the vandals and faint marks were left.

The pristine silver look has been darkened with several shades of watered down black paint (with a drop of cheap washing up liquid to help it flow).

Oh what a sad picture!

I guess I'm lucky, I emigrated in the late 70's. I rode them when they were brand new frequently, usually inbound from Leytonstone, and after the grubby old "standard stock" they were the epitome of modern and pristine. I'm not sure if they first non-red cars LT had?

Andy

You're correct they were not the first non red cars. Technically it was the R stock. The varst majority however were steel painted silver. Even the aluminium cars were painted red at first. The first full group of cars were the 1956 stock followed by the 1959 stock which ran on the central line for a short while.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived