Alderford

Carl BR

Hi people

I've been lurking around this forum for some time now but haven't made too many posts so I think to correct this I am going to introduce you all to my layout Alderford. A 38ft OO end to end layout with a terminus station, TDM and OHLE set in the mid to late 1980's.

You will find Alderford in the April edition of Railway Modeller as layout of the month. A big honour in my opinion. 

Alderford can be seen at York over Easter, Wigan in June and Warrington in October of this year.

I hope you all like and please fire question, criticisms and helpful suggestions. 

Carl

ps. I will upload some photo's later when I get chance to shrink the file sizes a bit.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Carl, could I kick off with an observation and question about the figures used on the layout. Though it's a very fine layout indeed the figures stood out as being something a bit special. On the cover of RM the little girl and her nan look particularly well observed. I know it's only a small part of the whole, but could you tell us some more about them please?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Carl.

I have to say you have a cracking layout mate. Loved the spread in RM this month. Can I ask, why Alderford? I thought you might have taken it from a David Eddings novel  :) 

Regards Lez.Z.

Carl, could I kick off with an observation and question about the figures used on the layout. Though it's a very fine layout indeed the figures stood out as being something a bit special. On the cover of RM the little girl and her nan look particularly well observed. I know it's only a small part of the whole, but could you tell us some more about them please?

The little girl and her nan are from the Hornby range and no great thought went in to positioning any of the figures on the layout other than if they looked right in a place that's where they got glued. But I have to say the setting of the little girl and nan do look convincing in that cover photo.

Hi Carl,

Glad to see it's not all BR blue on Alderford............ :jester:

attachicon.gifDSC_0254.jpg

See you at York.

Cheers,

Mick

A bit sneaky of you with that 66 Mick but I won't say it will never happen again as I really the class 350's. We've had one on Alderford at the club and looed good sat in the station.

I'm really looking forward to York as it will be the first time we have run the layout in anger since Preston last year. Should be a good weekend.

Hi Carl.

I have to say you have a cracking layout mate. Loved the spread in RM this month. Can I ask, why Alderford? I thought you might have taken it from a David Eddings novel  :)

Regards Lez.Z.

I came up with Alderford for the new Preston club layout that will replace Bee Lane in time but the other members weren't sure so I used it for me new layout instead.

I did find a small village in Norfolk called Alderford but it has no connection with any railway.

Cheers for the kind comments so far.

Carl

Hi Carl

Looks good.

As I shall be assisting Mick and New Bryford at York I'll come over and " have a play"

(Hopefully you wont have anything yellow!!!). :-)

Your very welcome to come and play John. Nothing yellow apart from front end warning panels.

@ Sub39h. Thanks. I hope you get a chance to see Alderford in the flesh.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The little girl and her nan are from the Hornby range and no great thought went in to positioning any of the figures on the layout other than if they looked right in a place that's where they got glued. But I have to say the setting of the little girl and nan do look convincing in that cover photo. ...

Thank you, I'll take a look at the Hornby range. You must have a good natural eye for grouping the figures in a way that echoes real life.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Carl

Looks good.

As I shall be assisting Mick and New Bryford at York I'll come over and " have a play"

(Hopefully you wont have anything yellow!!!). :-)

Is that a challenge?

Your very welcome to come and play John. Nothing yellow apart from front end warning panels.

Just don't turn your back for too long............................ :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My team will be warned in advance of your intentions Mick. :butcher:

But maybe one of your team is a fellow yellow junkie and can be swayed into seeing the (yellow) light.................................. :beee:

Cheers,

Mick

But maybe one of your team is a fellow yellow junkie and can be swayed into seeing the (yellow) light.................................. :beee:

Cheers,

Mick

May be a test of loyalty.

I could possibly turn a blind eye to the yellow 150.

I have another lecy loco on it's way for Alderford in the shape of a Limby class 87 87010 King Arthur IC Swallow livery.

It should land tomorrow or Saturday but as I'm away in south Lincolnshire all weekend I won't get my hands on it until I get home Sun night.

It's not brand new but I'm told it's in like new condition and was only £43 inc p&p.  

Once it's tested and I'm happy it I will be at it with the weathering brush. I will also be making a call to Bachmann about buying a Bracknell Willis pantograph they fit to the class 350. Dose anyone here know if these are available from Bachmann as spares? I know of people being able to get the Class 85 pan from them.

Carl