Collaford BR(W) in OO

Taz

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

Following your "visit" to Kirkby Luneside I thought I'd return the compliment! I see what you mean about the parallels in the garage conversion. We're both using SMP track (when I buy mine!), though I've kopped-out and will buy my points from Marcway.

I'll keep an eye on this. Good stuff!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For those that may be interested I thought I would show the process I use to lay my pointwork.

To start with we have the Templot plan laid over the grey painted foam base:

post-6916-0-21645700-1346337605_thumb.jpg

The pointwork is built off the layout on a piece of glass using a copy of the Templot plan (as detailed in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co...._25#entry593873 )

It is then removed from the glass ready to be placed on the layout. As can be seen the timbers with the slide chairs become detached but I numbered them with marker pen so I would know which order to reinstate them:

post-6916-0-68243900-1346340069_thumb.jpg

The new point is then pinned in place over the templot plan :

post-6916-0-47554300-1346340132_thumb.jpg

and the plan is cut out around the point and removed :

post-6916-0-08689600-1346340191_thumb.jpg

Whilst the point was in place the position of the tie bar was marked. Once removed a 9mm hole (the largest bit my batter drill will take) was drilled through the baseboard :

post-6916-0-57094800-1346340268_thumb.jpg

Then, using the method described by Normon Soloman in the Right Track DVD, I place a small piece of foam over the hole and then cut a square slightly larger through this piece and the baseboard foam:

post-6916-0-96792200-1346340387_thumb.jpg

The cut out square (with the drill hole in) is then removed from the baseboard and replaced by the square of green foam. This method ensures the replacement square is the exact same shape and size as the piece removed. The green foam will be painted grey to match at a later date.

A slot is then cut into the square to allow the movement of the point motor pin connected to the tie bar:

post-6916-0-29362200-1346340600_thumb.jpg

I then solder droppers to the point. Each rail has 2 droppers (for redundancy) and I also wire the switch rails to their corresponding stock rail:

post-6916-0-41643000-1346340727_thumb.jpg

I then drill the baseboard where the droppers are present and feed them through the holes:

post-6916-0-74301800-1346340833_thumb.jpg

Once I am happy that the point is laying flat and in the correct place, I draw around it with marker pen and then lift it again. Febond PVA is applied to the area and the point relaid for the last time, connected to neighbouring track and then it is all weighed down with books until the glue dries:

post-6916-0-51138000-1346340982_thumb.jpg

Once dry, the books are removed and we are left with the point in place :

post-6916-0-09956800-1346341056_thumb.jpg

I then wire up a Tortoise to power the point. Note I use both inbuilt switches for the Vee polarity change (again for redundancy):

post-6916-0-12546600-1346341218_thumb.jpg

All that is left to do now is connect up a temporary loop and test with a variety of rollingstock:

post-6916-0-81075600-1346341261_thumb.jpg

Castle heads an express over the new PW.

I hope that may be of interest to someone and I am also open to suggestions on how I could improve my tracklaying :)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, very good......

Actually I'm just wondering how long it will be before I'm thrown out of the P4 society for getting everyone to convert to 00-SF.

I've already convinced John, Rod and Tim it is the way to go :nono: :jester:

• Like 3

Actually I'm just wondering how long it will be before I'm thrown out of the P4 society for getting everyone to convert to 00-SF.

I've already convinced John, Rod and Tim it is the way to go :nono: :jester:

Haha

My solution of course for my 00 roundy roundy is not to have any pointwork at all on the scenic section ...

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Mallard.

Alas, not much more has happened yet. I've built a bit more track but haven't laid it yet.

At the moment my limited modelling time has been spent on coach builds/mods.

I should make the effort to get back to track laying though as I need somewhere to run all the stuff I'm buying/building/modifying.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I should make the effort to get back to track laying though as I need somewhere to run all the stuff I'm buying/building/modifying.

... and just as importantly to those of us with 00 models, but lacking 00 layouts to come round and play on!  :good:  

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I assume that as that 'bleddy football team' survived this season that you have made huge progress.......?

I have made zero progress on my planned Seatonhardaxe plans. My excuse is that I'm also building coaches! 

ATB

Phil,

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I would like to blame Argyle for my lack of progress, I actually have no interest in that game whatsoever.

I've just gone through a protracted period of lack of modelling mojo, partly due to being rushed off my feet at work.

However I am now slowly getting back into the swing of things and have started working on my Hornby Collet conversions again. I'm also putting together a Comet B set for our new DRAG Bodmin project. So I'm not sure how much progress I'll be making on the layout in the near future but anything I do manage I'll post here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Whilst I would like to blame Argyle for my lack of progress, I actually have no interest in that game whatsoever.

I've just gone through a protracted period of lack of modelling mojo, partly due to being rushed off my feet at work.

However I am now slowly getting back into the swing of things and have started working on my Hornby Collet conversions again. I'm also putting together a Comet B set for our new DRAG Bodmin project. So I'm not sure how much progress I'll be making on the layout in the near future but anything I do manage I'll post here.

I have given up on footy for ever. Now waiting for women's cycling to become more broadcast; I won't say why, except for have a look at the pics you get on the TDF and then change the blokes for fit young ladies......arggghhh.

Anyhow I do hope things are coming along OK. I'm still waiting to get the mojo so as to get started in the loft. However, as you well know I seem to have been collecting loads of stock............but doing nothing but part build some stock only to be told it's 'wrong'. Hey ho, I'm impressed with the help one gets on here.

ATB for now,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've already convinced John, Rod and Tim it is the way to go

Really?!

I still have a problem with narrowing OO still further. However, it's really more of a philosophical problem, so I may be able to get some medication for it... :D

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, that was over 2 years ago. When I brought a test point into DRAG you commented on how the narrow gauge (at the V only) was unnoticeable but the 1mm check rail gaps were a visual improvement. You said you would consider it for your future 00 extension plans. 

Do I need to show you another crossing to jog your memory :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, that was over 2 years ago. When I brought a test point into DRAG you commented on how the narrow gauge (at the V only) was unnoticeable but the 1mm check rail gaps were a visual improvement. You said you would consider it for your future 00 extension plans. 

Do I need to show you another crossing to jog your memory :)

You are no doubt right on all counts... 

It would certainly help to have another look at the point, so thanks for that.

Who actually sells the OO-SF gauges and templates - I seem to have lost track of these things...!

• RMweb Gold

Alas, not very quickly. Nothing much has moved on for 2 years now.

Not sure what the problem is, other than work has been full on for a while now (I'm writing this from my work laptop whilst taking a break from writing a document and it's 9.45pm) and by the time I down tools I haven't got much more energy to do anything more than sit in front of the goggle box.

I need a kick up the backside to get some modelling done.

• 7 months later...

Hi Brian, I picked up your layout thread from your signature at the bottom of the 00-SF thread.  I started right from the beginning, not realising I had commented way back in 2010, so it was a real surprise to come across my own ramblings from 5 years back.  I've been in the modelling doldrums for far too long now, but your thread and the pics gave me much enjoyment and I have to admit a slight stirring in the loins to get off my own backside and do something.

Many thanks for that as there have been times, particularly in the middle of all the nonsense on 00-SF when I thought I've had enough of this and golf took over.  I could get out in the fresh air, enjoy myself and not have anybody telling me I was using the wrong set of clubs or the wrong choice of ball.  I have no idea why there is so much aggravation over 0.3mm.  We're all modellers and let's just enjoy this hobby.

Sincere thanks for your five year posting record.  Your pictures and narrative brought back the joy of railways and modelling.  Thanks for that.  Who knows, perhaps we can kick each other's backsides into action….:-)

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gordon. That means a lot to me coming from you. Eastwood Town is one of my favourite layout topics here. It is where I first heard about OO-SF (or whatever it is called this week).

I don't normally comment on the OO-SF threads as I can't be bothered with the politics. I'll just carry on with what seems to  work for me so far. I've shown some OO-SF track work to my local P4 group (DRAG) and lent my track gauges out and I think some other future OO-SF projects will be taking off in the future.

I'm lucky enough that Brian Harrap is part of our group so although the track work I have built so far isn't quite of your standards I have one of the best to help/guide me as I get round to producing the rest of my trackwork.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I've been very busy in my work life recently and haven't really felt like doing much modelling but I'm getting my work/life balance sorted now and starting to do more modelling.

However that has been directed more at our groups P4 Bodmin project and I have also developed a liking for brass coach building so I'm afraid progress on the layout itself is still on the back burner.

I look forward to more progress on Eastwood Town once you tire of chasing that little white ball about :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just discovered your thread Brian whilst looking for info on H39 and H40 restaurant cars. l picked up a pair of etched kits today!

Some nice work and particularly that huge traverser!

Bit of a dark horse you...l had no idea... :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.

Unfortunately I haven't progressed with this in a while. I'll have to dust of a New Years resolution and see if I can make more progress in the next year.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Yep, he has done some great work.

I’m not too bad thanks, certainly doing better than many others in these trying times.

As lack of updates on this thread indicate, I haven’t really progressed with the layout over the past few years.

However I have been keeping busy building coaches for it and also contributing to Rod and John’s Balcombe project by building a few coaches and EMUs.

Don’t worry about what you have or haven’t managed to achieve this year - it’s a hobby, not a job. Good to see your mojo is starting to return though.

• Like 3