Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

themagicspanner

After a lengthy committee meeting (my flatmate, girlfriend and I) the decision was taken to remodel the area at the end of the dock.

In an attempt to accentuate the feeling of open space that removing the engine shed creates, I've now removed the hillside and replaced it with the ends of three sheds:

2014-04-02231226_zps613b37ab.jpg

It does mean that there are going to be loads more cobbles but I think it'll be worth it, particularly as it makes a bit more room for a fuelling point and tanks without the whole thing feeling cramped and a little incoherent. The hill in the corner around the end of the passenger loop will be reduced in height to try and get away from the 'railway in a quarry' feeling that the area has.

And you have still got room for the water tower in front. Do you use the biro circle method for the cobbles? I like the sand? windswept into the corner of the brickwork.Theres definite potential here. Shall look forward t oseeing you advance this idea.

Do you use the biro circle method for the cobbles?

May I ask what the biro circle method is?

I've been scribing the cobbles with a sharp implement, a straight edge and plenty of patience.

Knightwing kits arrived today, so this area should start to develop at a pace.

Cheers Jaz.

I'm really happy with how they're looking - probably a little over sized but the effect is good. Once I've got past the end of the sidings I'll take a coarse brush and fine sandpaper to them to take away the worst of the harshness. That'll also lighten them up a little and allow me to stain the areas around the fueling point. At the moment it's all a little dark.

Lots done this weekend: Rocks and water!

IMG_4590_zps9e3c406c.jpg

IMG_4590-2_zps0bce28cc.jpg

IMG_4601-Edit_zps58f7df6f.jpg

That's a single layer of Javis water brushed lightly to give a base layer. The next stage will be to start adding in a little white water on the rocks. I'm a bit nervous about that stage but I do have this for inspiration - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68142-isle-ornsay-hebridean-light-railway/

• Like 7

Tonight's job was to bring the sea to life a little.

Combine2_zpsad81f689.jpg

Not quite done but getting close to what I'm looking for.

On the photography side of things I decided to get my old DSLR out of storage and found that the field of focus is very narrow at close range, To get around that I followed the excellent short tutorial by Andy Y.

Mike

• Like 10

Thanks for the kinds words folks.

The water was the bit I was most nervous about but in the end I don't think it was too bad (so far). You just need to have a clear idea of what you want it to look like and be bold enough to try.

When I took the first photos the 'Javis Simulated Water' was still wet and I actually found the high gloss finish quite satisfying, especially with the slight ripple in the surface. Once it dried it went quite flat and had more of a satin finish that I was a little disappointed in. Once I had painted in the white water with undiluted acrylics and stippled it to give it some body I was actually much happier with how reflective the water was.

The next stage is to apply another thin layer of the simulated water to create more depth, possibly mixing in a little bit of white at the broken water to build up the texture and then, as it dries, try to add more texture behind the waves with a brush. Hopefully that bit won't be a disaster.

• Like 1

Tonight's job was to bring the sea to life a little.

Combine2_zpsad81f689.jpg

Not quite done but getting close to what I'm looking for.

On the photography side of things I decided to get my old DSLR out of storage and found that the field of focus is very narrow at close range, To get around that I followed the excellent short tutorial by Andy Y.

Mike

Nice work....I need to do some rocks...shall be watching this with interest.

Always good to have more people modelling the West Highlands.

Tonight's obligatory 37 shot...

Combine3_zpsa4ea60ab.jpg

Combine3-2_zps0179e867.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way the waves are looking now and I've added a little colour to the rocks with a bit of brown pastel. I think it helps alot.

---

So, I eventually decided to try out the Dapol Easi-shunt couplings and have spent a good while testing out different magnet arrangements - I came to the conclusion that the Dapol ones are the best even though they're much more work to try to disguise after the track's down (and weathered). They're expensive too!

It's possible to put them completely under the level of the base of the sleepers which allows you to cut the sleepers away, along with some of the cork underlay, and then replace the sleepers and ballast. I'm just a bit gutted that I didn't think off this at the beginning and saved myself the bother. Mind you, I probably only need 5 magnets, so it should be too much of a bother.

• Like 6

If you don't need to propel stuff after they have uncoupled I'd go for neodymium magnets instead of the Dapol ones. They are easy to retro-fit and disguise and mine are now totally reliable!

I think the ones I got were 2mmx3mm ones from eBay. £7 for 100 and you only use 4 at a time so good value too.

There's a couple of phots on my Jedburgh layout topic if you're interested!

Ian,

I bought exactly those magnets but couldn't get them to work the way I wanted - they kept attracting the wheels of very light wagons and making them lurch just after uncloupling. I'm also quite keen to keep the ability to shove stiock after uncoupling.

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on your Jedburgh layout as I'm a Borders man and it's not something you see modelled very often. A future project for me might be to model Duns station as it could have been some time in my childhood (Large logo 37s would obviously have made their way down there).

• Like 1