RMweb

That's really superb!

Is the magnificent signal at centre top made by Lionel?

We don't see much of their products over here - I saw a few beat up and rusty items on offer some years ago, but the price requested was ridiculous! :O

David, it is indeed Lionel, a working signal activated by a passing train.  As you may notice, I have a mixture of American trains and Hornby; possibly a bit unusual but that is one of the joys of toy trains.  Nobody gets bothered about it.  The village is a series taken from A Christmas Carol with various shops from the tale represented.  Part of my wife's collection but fits well in the only space on the layout that was suitable.

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

My collection of Dinky Toys. These were made in the same factory as Hornby 0 gauge railways and people could use them with the trains. The cranes could load railway trucks and items like the horse box and the Hindle-Smart electric truck fitted in very well. You could unload lorries with opening doors or open trucks on to railway wagons. Cars and vans could wait at the level crossings, taxis and Royal Mail vans could wait at the stations.

post-17621-0-85771000-1418930915_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I hope you enjoy the fine weather on Christmas Day.  in 1957 Father Christmas delivered a Dinky Toys Ever Ready Van for me and a Heinz 57 Varieties Van for my brother.  The Heinz Van is celebrating its 57th birthday today. These vans are 1/50th scale so they are slightly smaller than the 1/43 scale Hornby railways. They still fit in well with a Hornby layout as they were made in the same factory and were painted in the same colours.

post-17621-0-60447300-1419496019_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I had both (well played with!), but passed them on to my brother.........  (errors of youth!)

I've managed to find a replacements for most of my 29 series buses and my Coles mobile crane and some of the Dublo series.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Sadly all the Dinkies Father Christmas left me are long gone.  However, the four cars on the foreground are among some of the cars I have owned over the years; at least the ones Dinky Toys made!

Standard Vanguard, Ford Zodiac, Renault Dauphine and a Plymouth Belvedere.

post-21098-0-21849600-1419714321_thumb.jpg

The AA box is a pre-war model as are a couple of other cars in the background.

Happy New Year.

Brian.

• Like 5

Hi. I enjoy reading these posts very much. I have always liked old toys, maybe because I never had too many  as a kid (yes I know start the violins)!  A work colleague introduced me to Bowman live steam O gauge a few years ago & since then I have got all 4 locos that Bowman made, plus others, and have had a lot of fun getting them to run well and buying and making suitable rolling stock for them. They need to pull rolling stock as there is no form of speed control other than more/less wagons or reducing the number of working wicks (flames).  Lionel 3ft radius track is ideal for the largest Bowman loco and it is compatible with Hornby which is very useful. Yes new Lionel track is available in the UK at Tennents Trains but I prefer to get the older, better made track from the States on eBay. (Rusty track is not a problem for me). I also like the between-wars era American 8 wheel (bogie) rolling stock made by Lionel & American Flyer as well as Hornby.

Live steam is not often seen at exhibitions for a variety of reasons but mainly, I suspect, the "fear factor" on the part of organisers which they explain away by stating insurance or health & safety issues. I built my own demountable exhibition layout and take it to various events, mainly full-size steam shows, toy steam shows and model railway shows run by enlightened organisers. These are 60%/ 40% outside/inside. Needless to say, I am very conscious of running a responsible and safe display and I dress the layout up with tinplate buildings, bridges and tunnels for added interest. Visitors are always entranced to see live steam actually working and it is always worth doing these exhibitions just for the reactions and conversations I have. Apart from messy layouts,it annoys me as a spectator at exhibitions when the person/s running the display totally ignore you.

I will be part of the team running Bowman locos at the Exeter Garden Railway show on the 18th Oct (this month) and the day after I will be operating my layout at the Wimborne O gauge event. A busy Weekend then!  

Cheers, Trevor.

The Solrail show at Workington often features tinplate, coarse scale O  gauge and live steam layouts and jolly good they are too.

Edited by CKPR

• 2 weeks later...

The Solrail show at Workington often features tinplate, coarse scale O  gauge and live steam layouts and jolly good they are too.

Hi. Thank you for that. I had not heard of this show before. Unfortunately it is the opposite end of the country from me but you never know...

I will be running my live steam trains at the Tilford Rural Life Museum 'Toy Steam Rally' just south of Farnham, Surrey on Easter Saturday 4th April. On the weekend of June 27th & 28th I will be running them at the Gartell Light Railway  'Vintage and Steam Show' near Templecombe, Somerset. The GLR, a 2ft gauge railway with steam & diesel running partly on the old S&D trackbed, is well worth a visit anyway - check their website for details and opening days.

Cheers,  Trevor.

• Like 1

Evening all,

I've just fond this thread.

I'm a relatively recent convert to coarse scale tin plate O gauge having previously modelled in OO. I didn't witness its golden years as I'm not yet 30, but I've found the history of it fascinating.

I've been slowly building my collection of modern O tin plate and have a number of coaches, wagons and a recently purchased Corgi Bassett Lowke 0-4-0 Peckett tank called Wenman.

If anyone's interested, the below links are for two short videos showing me running it in;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrZpifui-c

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXtSZQ2yvk

Enjoy

Greg

• Like 3

Darstaed Somerset and Dorset Jinty with three Hornby No. 1 LMS 4 wheel coaches at the Hornby Railway Collectors Association meeting at Broadstone last Tuesday. I like the lamp bracket holders on the coaches as I can put a lamp at the end of the train.

We raised £105 at the raffle in December. As our funds were healthy we gave the proceeds to Help the Heroes and they sent a lovely letter back.

post-17621-0-18705700-1422265265_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Great thread,good to keep the coarse scale and tinplate O gauge flag flying.

Robin, I like you photos from HRCA group meetings,I keep recognizing friends in the background!

Greg, I watched your videos,those B/L Pecketts are smashing locos,I've got 2 myself, I think you will be as corrupted as the rest of us who love this sort of thing soon.

Cheers, Mark

• Like 1

A Christmas present to Mike from Dad now on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's model of Wareham Station at the Stables, Godlingston Manor, Swanage.

I don't think many people know about what is available in 0 gauge from Ace, Darstaed and Lionel but over 4,000 people have seen this thread so the information should filter through,

post-17621-0-93471400-1422612062_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-20038300-1422612097_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-29806800-1422612132_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I am amazed that not that many people know about the modern stuff like Ace, darstaed,WJ Vintage, to name a few even down my local club it seems if it isn't "mainstream" the news doesn't seem to get out! Even in the Guild Gazette articles are few and far between I think the last article I saw in print was on Roy James dream city Railway.Would be nice to see more modern tinplate at exhibitions hopefully would get more people interested in it ! By the way that Jinty looks superb in SDJR Blue!..

I think most people see it as old fashioned & not worthy of their attention, but to me it has a character all of its own.

(I do like to just watch them run around, every now & then.)

Edit: On second thoughts, you may well be right about the lack of knowing how much is available, & where to get it from.

Edited by switcher 1

I am amazed that not that many people know about the modern stuff like Ace, darstaed,WJ Vintage, to name a few even down my local club it seems if it isn't "mainstream" the news doesn't seem to get out! Even in the Guild Gazette articles are few and far between I think the last article I saw in print was on Roy James dream city Railway.Would be nice to see more modern tinplate at exhibitions hopefully would get more people interested in it ! By the way that Jinty looks superb in SDJR Blue!..

post-21098-0-37347500-1422653267_thumb.jpg

This is an ACE Commemoration Series which was offered at a very good price probably as a promotional piece.  Like most modern tinplate, it runs on DCV which means a changeover from Lionel and Hornby trains.  Surprisingly it runs on Lionel 31" diam. track!

Brian.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to know if anyone else apart from the toy train community, ever bothers to check out these pages.  On  another forum, a Dublo enthusiast asked a question and was advised to sell his collection and buy modern track and trains!

Brian.

That`s being a Philistine,I have a large collection of HD 3rail packed away,the board it ran on is covered by a large N gauge layout but although its not likely to run again,I couldn`t bring myself to part with it unless i was desperate.I like all forms of nostalgia modelling,in fact i have just received a CD of 1950`s Micromodels,(anyone remember them?) which were card models about 1/200 scale.I also have a large Meccano collection which i build from at times.I always read this section of the forum.

Ray.

• Like 1

Rather than selling your Hornby Dublo trains you could run them on the track of your nearest Hornby Railway Collectors Association club room. Further information at http://hrca.net.

The picture shows the Wessex Group's course scale layout. Behind that on the right is an 8' x 4' Hornby Dublo layout. There is a sales stand at the back and you can see that they are serving tea and biscuits.   The 8' x 4' Hornby Dublo layout is out of the picture.

The normal attendance at our meetings is 40, membership of the HRCA was 2,642 last year and over 4,000 people read this thread so there is plenty of interest in Hornby 0 gauge and Hornby Dublo.

post-17621-0-87348000-1422779234_thumb.jpg

It would be interesting to know if anyone else apart from the toy train community, ever bothers to check out these pages.  On  another forum, a Dublo enthusiast asked a question and was advised to sell his collection and buy modern track and trains!

Brian.

I can't see any point in doing that!  :O :no:

I even built a couple of Micromodels locomotives at a young age. Dad said they were too fiddly, so I had to rise to the challenge! Some of them are apparently still produced. I saw some originals for sale recently, but at a fiver a piece I didn't bother....

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi Griff,i got the Micromodels from here,

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jcoweb/micromodels/

I am at the moment building a DJH 7mm scale Fairburn 2-6-4 tank but the Micromodels as a diversion are being built on my computer desk sitting down.

As you can see,my modelling scales are quite diverse.

I was a member of the HRCA for many years in the 1980`s & 90`s & their spares catalogue was some thing else.I lived quite near to Peter Randall & was invited to see his 0 gauge layout but sadly,i never went & he died quite soon after.I bought a lot of my Hornby Dublo locos & stock from him at toy fairs when he traded as Binns Road.

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 2