Nice. My reference regarding my comment earlier about the load on the Pines express is a book of reminiscence published by the Somerset and Dorset trust,written by legendary S&D engineman,Donald Beale.

I've always thought about getting a grotty compound and rebuilding it as a 2P,and not got round to it so far!

Cheers, Mark

Looking good!

I think I've read that BL did the same in regard Compounds and 2Ps. I'm a bit of a 4-4-0 fan, because they are very practical engines for small layouts, so hope to find a BL one in BR lined black livery one day. It could either be on a through working from the North, or masquerade as a Southern loco.

K

Kevin,

why not go one step further and find a cheap compound and convert it to aD1/E1 4-4-0? Or is that too SE&CR!

David,I would say that Meccano Ltd offering the 2P as a special order might be overstating things,there are 2 original Hornby 2Ps known to exist,and I have had the pleasure of handling both of them. One is clockwork and dates from the early 30s,the other is 20v and is post 1937,as it has push on wheels. The theory is they were made for the publicity people,and used. In photos in the meccano magazine.

Cheers, Mark

Edited by Mark Carne

Mark

Because, actually making progress on my layout is a project that I struggle to find time for, and creating any more projects would simply lead to more opening bars of unfinished symphonies, I'm afraid.

If I listed all my started-but-not-yet-finished tasks (hobby, domestic, and work), the list would fill a book!

So, nothing against the SECR, in fact there are bits of it I rather like.

Kevin

Kevin,

why not go one step further and find a cheap compound and convert it to aD1/E1 4-4-0? Or is that too SE&CR!

David,I would say that Meccano Ltd offering the 2P as a special order might be overstating things,there are 2 original Hornby 2Ps known to exist,and I have had the pleasure of handling both of them. One is clockwork and dates from the early 30s,the other is 20v and is post 1937,as it has push on wheels. The theory is they were made for the publicity people,and used. In photos in the meccano magazine.

Cheers, Mark

I don't think it was ever advertised (which would mean at best very limited sales) and I could be mistaken (I wasn't around at the time!). An L1 might be a better start for a D1 or E1, but they are rather harder to find.

I don't think any Hornby 4-4-0s come in cheap, even rusty junk has a hefty price tag!  :jester:

And don't get me started on unfinished projects! :O :no: :nono:

Edited by Il Grifone

Most of the 2Ps found today are rebuilds by enterprising owners who could afford to do so!  Considering the Compounds, although not cheap, they are the least expensive of the 4-4-0s and other LMS locos, hence my preponderance of LMS stock whereas growing up in the shadow of 83D, I am a firm GW fan.  I was able to even up the situation with the recent purchase of a County which makes me feel better! 

Brian.

Well,as this thread has gone quiet,here is another photo.

post-23679-0-58107500-1447972172_thumb.jpg

The main subject of the photo is a Bing for Gamages Great Northern Railway D2 4-4-0 loco,clockwork,circa 1913. This loco was made by Bing before and after WW1,and sold not only through Gamages,but also Bassett Lowke,and no doubt other retail outlets too,It was offered in an updated,LNER version after 1923,but the tinprinting was no where as detailed or attractive on the LNER version,particularly the tender underframe. This example was sold through Gamages originally,as it has a lovely Gamages transfer on the back of the tender,photo to follow.

Bit of a Bing theme to this photo actually,totally unintended when taken!

Cheers, Mark

• Like 5

Another good one, Mark, and certainly a lot to look at in that photo.

What is that LNER tender engine that looks a bit like a tank engine right at the back? Is it an Apollo?

BTW, would it be correct that the words Forge Farm Crossing would ring a bell with you? I grew up in that neck of the woods.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin,happy to contribute something useful after much lurking and reading!

The LNER tank/tender loco is an Apollo variation,it is 18 volt electric,circa 1930,and the side tanks are to house the wound field mech,they were advertised in LNER and LMS livery,but no one I know has seen an LMS one,also a German market version in black with red lining,which makes a nice goods loco,if you have bizarre tastes in vintage trains as I do!

BTW, the words Forge Farm Crossing ring loud and clear! Sounds as if we have an acquaintance in common,or have you missed your vocation in life as a detective?

Cheers, Mark

Mark

An interesting Apollo, a version that I've never seen before, and the 4-4-0 is splendid. I've always thought they were one of the best proportioned pre-WW1 models.

Well now, .......... we almost certainly do have acquaintances in common - I think that SW is GM of your line, and he and I were in the same class at school, for instance. But, it was a chance conversation about M7s, the Bing and the forthcoming Ace 'tribute', with a leading member of the TCS that led to the mild outbreak of Sherlockianism. Hope you don't mind.

All the best, Kevin

Kevin,

Aha! Well,it really is a small world within which most of us move,no problems with your detective work,very amusing actually. Don't be surprised if a 6' 4'' bloke with short grey hair and glasses comes up to you and says hi at some event in the near future!

Cheers, Mark

From genuinely vintage, to very much modern, but in the vintage style, in the form of the new USA tank from ETS for Raylo/WJV, and the LMS ballast hopper, by ETS for WJV, both released within the past few weeks.

The Q and Stanier tank that also figure are, of course, by Ace.

Kevin

post-26817-0-43583800-1448227572_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-07375000-1448227607_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-67319900-1448227640_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Kevin, there is certainly a lot of choice in O tinplate these days, nice locos. I'm not really a fan of BR black, preferring the big four colours like Hornby trains. Perhaps its because virtually all my American locos are black as were their prototypes, The rolling stock made up for that usually being quite colourful as are the model versions. Good photos.

Brian.

Hi Kevin, there is certainly a lot of choice in O tinplate these days, nice locos. I'm not really a fan of BR black, preferring the big four colours like Hornby trains. Perhaps its because virtually all my American locos are black as were their prototypes, The rolling stock made up for that usually being quite colourful as are the model versions. Good photos.Brian.

Then you have the LMS, who adopted everything from the Midland except livery.

Though I cant agree more about American locomotives. Unless it was artdeco or a special loco, almost everything was black.

Go just a few decades before, almost no 4-4-0 was black, go just after steam, almost no diesel was black.

I hate to break it to you gentlemen, but I think it would be true to say that even in the 1920s, 30s, and especially, the 40s, most British locos were black too, in that there were many more goods/shunting engines than passenger. Rose tinted spectacles, of course, suggest otherwise.

K

I hate to break it to you gentlemen, but I think it would be true to say that even in the 1920s, 30s, and especially, the 40s, most British locos were black too, in that there were many more goods/shunting engines than passenger. Rose tinted spectacles, of course, suggest otherwise.

K

I actually share your opinion, that everything has the colour scheme of black, brown, grey, and occasionally red.

And freight is the more fun subject anyway!

It's always comforting to be agreed with, Spitfire, but I'm not sure you're catching my drift.

I wasn't saying that I prefer black engines and goods trains, although goods operations are endlessly fascinating, I was simply pointing out what I think is an established, but frequently overlooked, fact about the colour of engines in Britain.

In my idealised train-set world, there are actually more green engines than any other kind. Even when I modelled US-themed H0, I ended-up drifting in the direction of the Maine Central, because I like the forest green and harvest gold paint scheme!

Anyway, do you think the USA tanks from ETS will sell in the US? Or, were the prototypes purely built for service in Europe?

K

Like those photos a lot Kevin,very nice! Especially the middle one,nice angle and close up too,very impressive.

And on the old chestnut proportions of passenger liveried locos to everything else,I recall reading an article in a late 60s Model Railway News that gave the percentages on the LMS before WW2 as 0.9 maroon locos to every 9.1 black ones! Think it was written by Smokey Bourne,and was in an issue that had a "Tinplate Topics" article by Peter Gomm,so I'm bound to still have it. It gave all sorts of proportions of coaching stock,wagons,etc. I'll dig it out if anyone is suffering from insomnia!

Cheers, Mark