Grown up HD is a lot of what modern coarse-scale is about, I think.

Noticeably, there is a drift towards the small number of suppliers in coarse-0 towards choosing to produce things that have an HD resonance.

What we do need, though, is some good, very readily available track and points to come to market. I use Maldon, and both the product and the supplier are marvellous, but it's not exactly mass-production. The US alternatives are not very UK in appearance, or very easy to obtain in the full range, and, personally, I think tinplate isn't really the ticket.

Kevin

I think that the coarse scale manufacturers are moving towards fine scale. The newer Ace trains will run on Peco track but not through the points. Darstaed are going to produce an A4 Pacific that will run through Peco points. I think Ace produced the N2 for the nostalgia market for people who had a Hornby-Dublo N2 in their first train set. 

Scale three rail and tinplate can only go so far.  Tinplaters are less fussy about detail, scale and authenticity than their scale brethren which makes it hard to please everybody.  While it would be worth their while to cater to both, manufacturers must please both or one of the other.  Both would be best for business obviously and so it will probably continue as it is now. 

Brian.

Darstaed are now producing 2 rail or 3 rail locomotives. The 3 rail locomotives can only run on coarse scale track. The 2 rail locomotives can run on Peco code 124 track and their new rolling stock will run on anything.

At the Purbeck Model Railway Group at the first floor of the stables, Godlingston Manor, Swanage we have got a large 0 gauge layout 170 feet long with Peco and we will be pleased to run Darstaed 2 rail locomotives and their coaches. They will probably run on the coarse scale track we have on our Hornby Railway Collectors Association track at Broadstone as well because there are no points on the layout.

I thought Hornby tinplate points were universal, having neither crossings nor check rails. The only problems I can see with scale wheels would be connected with the rail profile and sharp radii.

I do like that N2, even though my first Dublo loco was 'Duchess of Atholl'.

The ideal track would be made of solid-drawn NS rail, but have the crossing-free design used by tinplate - a giant version of Trix Universal, in fact. Then we truly could run anything on it.

I'm not holding my breath.

And, yes, the N2 is possibly the best of the several very good things that have come from the Ace/ETS collaboration.

My first and only HD loco was 'Silver King', but I got to play with a friends extensive layout.

On top of that, my father had two friends who had good layouts. One ran a newsagents, and sold HD, so had a "demonstration layout" (it was really his personal layout, but I think he convinced his wife, and possibly the tax man, that it was a "business expense").

The other managed the council dustbin emptying operation, and equipped his huge loft layout (full scenery,several stations, Wurlitzer control panel) with trains found in dustbins by his crews! He could strip a battered and non-working N2, refurb it, convert to two-rail, and turn it into a very passable Southern E4/E5 in lined green livery, all in a few evenings, and was a master at two-railing and scale-wheeling 2-6-4T. His other claim to fame was that he used an Austin Ruby as his everyday car well into the 1970s!

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

David, in my collection I have only two locos other than Hornby, a B-L Cl.20 and an ACE Commemoration and while they will run on Hornby points and track up to  fashion, one can't be too far from the layout.  Although they will navigate Lionel curves and points also, that's the first place they will derail as they don't have such deep flanges as Hornby.

Brian.

David, in my collection I have only two locos other than Hornby, a B-L Cl.20 and an ACE Commemoration and while they will run on Hornby points and track up to  fashion, one can't be too far from the layout.  Although they will navigate Lionel curves and points also, that's the first place they will derail as they don't have such deep flanges as Hornby.

Brian.

Ah, it's more of a loose tolerance problem. All is explained! Tinplate rail joints do tend to be rather bumpy.

Absolutely fascinating display at the TCS meeting today, of the work of M J Barritt of Sheffield, who made, by hand, and painted by hand, reproductions and tributes to the great pre-WW1 tin-printers.

Somehow, I've managed to photograph mostly wagons, but there were coaches (beautiful!), locos, stations, and even the famous Carette water tower, complete with all the adverts hand-painted.

One well known figure in the coarse 0 world stood in front of the display, and just kept repeating "amazing", which it was/is.

Kevin

post-26817-0-36821100-1467476632_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-25188500-1467476759_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Kevin,

Glad you enjoyed the display,but don't be so shy,come and chat!

It was quite amusing listening to Lens reaction,even Allen was impressed,which is quite an achievement,given what he has seen and owned over the years!

Cheers, Mark

Hello Mark, did see you, and was going to say hello, but you were very deep in conversation.

I only managed to make a flying visit, and wouldn't have been able to get there at all if my son's team hadn't been knocked out in the first round of their footy tournament; this morning, I was in the odd situation of hoping that I wouldn't be able to attend at all!

Is the MJB collection yours, then?

Kevin

In answer to your question Kevin,yes,I'm afraid to say it is my collection of Barritt items.

And today was one of those days where I seemed to be chatting with someone most of the day,which wasn't unpleasant,but quite tiring,expected though,as hardly anyone else knows what it all is or anything about it.

I figured it might well be one of your flying visit,and can understand your thoughts on hoping you would be unable to attend at all,as there is always so much to see.

Cheers, Mark

• 5 weeks later...

Wow...just found this thread.  Late last year my girlfriends (now late) father gave me his Marx 3 rail train set that included track and freight cars. The locomotive was a non-runner but I took it to a fairly local model train shop who were able to repair it. I hope to pick it up Saturday. Hopefully the transformer works, I think it dates from the late forties, and I will get it running.  

Has anyone any experience with running outdoors? The new 3 rail track available looks to be aluminium so shouldn't rust, or it just a daft idea???

Thanks for any suggestions

Mark.

• Like 1

Hello,

Sounds like you are embarking on the slippery slope!

No problem at all running outdoors, if you choose the right track for your local weather/climate.

Unless you live in a desert (there aren't any in Ontario, are there?), avoid tinplate like the plague, but brass, stainless steel, or, best for many circumstances, nickel silver are good for the job.

Watch out for the sleeper (tie) material too. Certainly in most of Britain wood is a bit of a challenge, because of damp and rot, but be careful about some plastics too, because they embrittle under solar UV. Here, we have a "craft" maker, Maldon Track, who provides three rail track that has NS rail on very robust sleepers (ABS, I think), which survives very well outdoors. We also have Peco, making two rail track, called SM32, which suits most 0 gauge tinplate trains, and is purpose-designed for outdoor use.

I'm not sure which tracks are commonly available in Canada, but a bit of research ought to turn-up something.

All the best, Kevin

Wow...just found this thread.  Late last year my girlfriends (now late) father gave me his Marx 3 rail train set that included track and freight cars. The locomotive was a non-runner but I took it to a fairly local model train shop who were able to repair it. I hope to pick it up Saturday. Hopefully the transformer works, I think it dates from the late forties, and I will get it running.  

Has anyone any experience with running outdoors? The new 3 rail track available looks to be aluminium so shouldn't rust, or it just a daft idea???

Thanks for any suggestions

Mark.

I wouldn't try to operate a transformer that old - the insulation is likely to be in a dangerous state. Keep this as a 'collectable' and use a new one of the same rating - better safe than sorry!

Sadly all the Dinkies Father Christmas left me are long gone.  However, the four cars on the foreground are among some of the cars I have owned over the years; at least the ones Dinky Toys made!

Standard Vanguard, Ford Zodiac, Renault Dauphine and a Plymouth Belvedere.

attachicon.giflayout 015.jpg

The AA box is a pre-war model as are a couple of other cars in the background.

Happy New Year.

Brian.

A Renault Dauphine, that was my fathers very first car around 1960 and in blue too.

Hello,

Sounds like you are embarking on the slippery slope!

No problem at all running outdoors, if you choose the right track for your local weather/climate.

Unless you live in a desert (there aren't any in Ontario, are there?), avoid tinplate like the plague, but brass, stainless steel, or, best for many circumstances, nickel silver are good for the job.

Watch out for the sleeper (tie) material too. Certainly in most of Britain wood is a bit of a challenge, because of damp and rot, but be careful about some plastics too, because they embrittle under solar UV. Here, we have a "craft" maker, Maldon Track, who provides three rail track that has NS rail on very robust sleepers (ABS, I think), which survives very well outdoors. We also have Peco, making two rail track, called SM32, which suits most 0 gauge tinplate trains, and is purpose-designed for outdoor use.

I'm not sure which tracks are commonly available in Canada, but a bit of research ought to turn-up something.

All the best, Kevin

I wouldn't try to operate a transformer that old - the insulation is likely to be in a dangerous state. Keep this as a 'collectable' and use a new one of the same rating - better safe than sorry!

Thank you both for your advice.

I picked up the locomotive today and it runs sweetly for being 60 odd years old, they ran it on their display set for me.  I did ask about suitable track for outdoors and the response was "Hmmm.....", so it might be a pipe dream.  Also considering the weather we get in this part of the Province the track would have to be very hardy, its 32 degC today and gets as low as -35 degC in the winter with lots of snow.  Still it would be nice to see the train running outside on a summers evening.  So, for the time being I may just have to put the existing track on a sheet of ply in the spare bedroom  :lol:

I did find a second transformer in the box of track, but it looks as it is from the sixties, so I will have to break down and buy a new one.  I've been electrocuted once before and don't fancy going through that again!!

Thanks again.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something different. Lionel Diesel with some empties

post-21098-0-24555000-1473193924.jpg

For some reason Lionel decided to make it a bit big along with the Thomas 0-6-0 but covering up the face and a repaint helped. There was nothing else at the time and anything goes with tinplate which is the best part!

Brian.

• Like 1

Brian

You've made that loco look very respectable indeed by adding the louvres to the front.

I like "gronks", and it seems slightly incredible to see them still pottering about in odd corners of the national network, looking like dinosaurs in an age of advanced mammals. Some of those still in service are 60+ years old, and the basic design dates from the mid-1930s.

One thing that has put me off the Lionel loco is what happens below the footplate; do you turn a blind eye to that, or have you found a way of making that respectable too?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,  know what you mean so I cut off the phony springs, etc., between the foot steps.  This at least gives some movement with the wheels and rods now visible and I also added a front coupler and glazing in the cab.  I also resprayed it and added wasp decals on the back.  Finally I added the small hand rails on the sides, which may seem a waste of time but it turned out to be a lot of fun without having to worry whether everything was kosher or not.  But then, I could have bought the scale version for a lot more money!

Brian.

• Like 1

Hi

Excuse an N gauge modeller muscling in your O gauge forum but I hoped you gents might be able to supply a bit of info. I recently bought the loco and tender shown in the photos in a junk shop. I know nothing about them apart from the obvious, ie they are O gauge Hornby electric. Can anyone tell me when they date from? Do they match? I notice they carry different numbers and have different style of couplings. Are spare parts available? I don't want to restore them as I like the battered look but I would like to find a smokebox door. Any information gratefully received. BTW I paid £25. Was I done?

Cheers

Rich

DSCN1785_zpsdnoufjyl.jpg

DSCN1788_zpsldugbbwr.jpg

DSCN1789_zpshtgu5unt.jpg

DSCN1790_zpswnamv3jq.jpg

DSCN1791_zps1rmp6ef1.jpg

• Like 2