The Bassett Lowke Society event at Tewin village hall took place last weekend. The venue is wonderfully atmospheric, and what there was to see was utterly marvellous. The picture is more about the former, and the loco is bottom of the range Hornby, so hardly representative.

Kevin

post-26817-0-30163900-1484851250_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Bassett Lowke Society event at Tewin village hall took place last weekend. The venue is wonderfully atmospheric, and what there was to see was utterly marvellous. The picture is more about the former, and the loco is bottom of the range Hornby, so hardly representative.

Kevin

Very arty.

I agree it was a good show, but near half of it didn't appear for the Sunday! But it was also relatively expensive - my wallet was £90 lighter when I came away.

Regards

Chris H

• 4 weeks later...

Got the opportunity to look closely at a lot of classic Lionel kit at our local club show yesterday.

It is certainly different from its British equivalents, and it was very popular indeed with the interested, but not dyed in the wool enthusiast, visitors. I think the thing that impressed me most was a controller rated to deliver fourteen amps ....... that is just ridiculous!

Kevin

post-26817-0-42402500-1486891528_thumb.jpg

I think the thing that impressed me most was a controller rated to deliver fourteen amps ....... that is just ridiculous!

Kevin

You need that kind of power when you run a couple of larger Lionel locomotives with a lighted train; I have a 400W MTH controller that delivers 10 amps to each of the two circuits you can control (and two fixed voltage 3 amps outputs for trackside accessories). 

Regards

Fred 

You need that kind of power when you run a couple of larger Lionel locomotives with a lighted train; I have a 400W MTH controller that delivers 10 amps to each of the two circuits you can control (and two fixed voltage 3 amps outputs for trackside accessories). 

Regards

Fred 

Definitely!  Along with the same controller, I use two more (of a lesser output) as along with the accessories, I have eighteen illuminated remote points.  On the other hand the Hornby trains run quite happily on 18VAC @ .5amp with a modest train.

The general public likes trains of any sort at shows but enthusiasts over here have little interest of foreign trains.  Perhaps the same is in the UK.

• 4 weeks later...

Was at the hobby shop earlier today, and I saw something surprising in the display case.

post-21863-0-63439900-1489271938_thumb.jpg

An assortment of Hornby tinplate 0-4-0s and a tender loco.

Rather surprised due to being in America.

Also saw a very nicely made large scale American flatcar in poor condition. Oddly, I had a look at its trucks and it was built to 2" gauge. I cant actually find a standard scale which uses this.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Surprising indeed, although I bought all my starter Hornby over here, some in boxes even! All the train shops near us have closed down but they never had any thing except American trains.

Brian.

2" is Gauge 2, which was never a very popular scale/gauge, but did have limited commercial and hobbyist support. It was too close to Gauge 1, and died out accordingly.

Kevin

Kinda regret not picking it up, but for something like that Id be surprised if they were asking anything less than 100 for it. It was in rather poor condition as well, but made entirely out of wood and whitemetal. So it wasnt a scratchbuild job in our sense. Someone had to cast the trucks and fittings.

There were hobbyists who cast their own.

There was an article in, I think, NG&SLG years back, about a guy who scratchbuilt in Gauge 2, or possibly gauge 3 (2.5") in the 1930s. Everything was superb engineering, which typifies these big scales, where people were coming "downhill" from model engineering. Things like 16mm/ft and 7/8" are rather similar in that sense.

K

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi everyone, I've just found this delightful thread.  I'm not sure if it's still a living thread or not, but I thought I'd show one or two of my 'toys'.  I live with a debilitating chronic illness so I've given up on silly finescale notions and railway models that are too small to see, let alone try to work on.  The LSWR is my particular interest, but not in any kind of picky rivet counter way.  Coarse scale 'O' gauge is all about fun afterall  good-3dd6b26_zpslpluumo5.gif

A wooden LSWR 'O' Gauge coach maker unknown.  All parts are made from cleanly machined hardwood so it's not a scratchbuild.. Please excuse the photo, my camera is on its last legs (somewhat like its owner).

WoodenLSWRCoach_zps6uesus9t.jpg

My 12 volt DC powered 0-4-2 tank loco made from all manner of left over tinplate bits and white metal castings.  It's a nice runner and is very capable of hauling 20 4 wheel Hornby goods wagons when it sets its mind to it.

0-4-2B_zpsd53hqrf2.jpg

Green0-4-2_zpsmqrlogo1.jpg

Wooden goods wagons made with Milbro castings and unknown wooden parts (The van might built on a wooden Leeds body intended for 'lithos').  I have wooden kit parts enough for three more open wagons as well as two blank 4 wheel goods van bodies and one for a bogie goods van.  I like the old 'O' Gauge coarse scale wooden models and printed paper 'litho' ones as well.

WoodenWagons_zpshnc6amhp.jpg

Old school scratchbuilt LSWR fruit van by your's truly.  Paper over a plywood bodyshell.  Still needs some detailing and transfers to complete.

LSWRFruitVan_zpsjvcccsep.jpg

Litho LSWR milk van.  Printed paper sides and ends on a beyond all hope Hornby 4 wheel coach.  The litho sheets were made by a chap in the HRCA whose name I've forgotten unfortunately.

LSWRMilkVan_zpsdfd76jbl.jpg

I used to make litho sheets for old down on their luck Hornby coaches too.  I use to have sheets for the Midland and the LSWR, but they died in a hard drive failure some years ago.  I still have this S&DJtR sheet though which is free for anyone to use.

SDJRNo1coachsides_zpsxbsvq0tk.jpg

Hornby SR milk van.  (Edward is doing such a great job of showing off my 'toys' to you all)

L274neC.jpg

Hornby SR open wagon.

zaX2iCO.jpg

That's all for the moment.  I can show you more of my coarse scale bits and bobs if there's any interest.  laugh-3dd6b42_zpsmj3yggqw.png

• Like 7

Hi Annie, most here call their trains coarse scale which they're probably not actually; they're toys. Intended to be toys and played with by little girls and boys. However, to please the pedants and others, coarse scale sounded more grown up, so coarse scale it is and you have fine examples of the genre; everything from the basics to the Hornby we are all familiar with and which constitutes the majority of our layouts. Which means that toy trains can and do appeal to much older girls and boys as well.

Brian.

• Like 1

Indeed, Grifone, formally, "coarse" is a set of wheel and pointwork standards, nothing more or less. The quality of workmanship and fidelity to prototype of the rest of the railway, and its trains, can beg anything from toy/freestyle, through to superfine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You wouldnt happen to be the same Annie from Eurobricks, would you?

Whether or not, welcome!

My cover is blown! - fleeeeeeeee!  lol-3dd6b57_zpssvmaxlzw.png

Yes that's me.  I still own thousands of Lego bricks, though lately I've taken to large scale experiments with modding and motorising Postman Pat locos with Lego motorblocks and running them on Lego track.  That as they say is another story and perhaps one that isn't entirely suitable for mentioning on RMweb.

Hi Annie, most here call their trains coarse scale which they're probably not actually; they're toys. Intended to be toys and played with by little girls and boys. However, to please the pedants and others, coarse scale sounded more grown up, so coarse scale it is and you have fine examples of the genre; everything from the basics to the Hornby we are all familiar with and which constitutes the majority of our layouts. Which means that toy trains can and do appeal to much older girls and boys as well.

Brian.

I totally agree Brian.  For me 'coarse scale' covers everything from my tinplate 'clockers' to the more 'serious' vintage semi-scale wooden models and 'Litho' coaches I have a a great love for.  My wee green tank loco i posted pictures of above even has washout plugs on its boiler which pushes it into 'semi-scale territory despite the fact that it's made from the scrap parts of around 3 wounded old 'clockers'.

Trial fit of a WIP tank side printed tankside decal; - and i do have a Ramsbottom safety valve casting to be fitted to it somewhere.  Cab steps are on the workshop list too.

DecalTest_zpszzmpvfjb.jpg

I thought 'Coarse scale' applied to to the wheel/track standards, which is appropriate. As regards the models themselves, scale is very loosely applied!   :)

Yes indeed!  I used to model in P4 until one day I realised i simply wasn't having fun anymore and took up with coarse scale 'O' instead.

And thanks for the welcome everyone, - no doubt you'll be seeing more of me on this thread  yes_yes-3dd6bc8_zpspdxfzjkb.gif

• Like 2

My cover is blown! - fleeeeeeeee!  lol-3dd6b57_zpssvmaxlzw.png

Yes that's me.  I still own thousands of Lego bricks, though lately I've taken to large scale experiments with modding and motorising Postman Pat locos with Lego motorblocks and running them on Lego track.  That as they say is another story and perhaps one that isn't entirely suitable for mentioning on RMweb.

I totally agree Brian.  For me 'coarse scale' covers everything from my tinplate 'clockers' to the more 'serious' vintage semi-scale wooden models and 'Litho' coaches I have a a great love for.  My wee green tank loco i posted pictures of above even has washout plugs on its boiler which pushes it into 'semi-scale territory despite the fact that it's made from the scrap parts of around 3 wounded old 'clockers'.

Trial fit of a WIP tank side printed tankside decal; - and i do have a Ramsbottom safety valve casting to be fitted to it somewhere.  Cab steps are on the workshop list too.

DecalTest_zpszzmpvfjb.jpg

Yes indeed!  I used to model in P4 until one day I realised i simply wasn't having fun anymore and took up with coarse scale 'O' instead.

And thanks for the welcome everyone, - no doubt you'll be seeing more of me on this thread  yes_yes-3dd6bc8_zpspdxfzjkb.gif

Let me add to the welcome!  :)

Years ago I decided that everything would be late 1920's in EM (I never thought I had the skill for P4 and everything needs conversion. With EM you can often get away with just easing the wheels out a couple of millimetres!). Lack of space for large radius curves (and the eyes aren't what they used to be) led to a resurrection of my Dublo 3 rail (It never really went away!) An offer that couldn't be refused of '20s Hornby at a boot sale led to a small collection - My aim is to repurchase all the stock I had as a young boy - too young to really appreciate it. The EM still isn't dead, but my BR stock is now 00 :secret:

Doe's a 1920s LMS 0-4-0T (or rather two of them) count instead of a 1940s one? (Not really - still looking....) My latest addition was the SR milk van - the same as the one above.

I try to avoid Lego (prefer Meccano), but I couldn't resist some 'Star wars' stuff in a charity shop.

• Like 1