All over green loco (no yellow end/panel whatsoever) adj. to blue/grey stock

Mornin' all,

Fancy a challenge? How many more 1960s images of all over green diesel or electric locos (no yellow panel/end) adj. to blue/grey stock can you find? 

Here is one to kick you off

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5357723610/

Dave

As I understand it, the Southern region simply put off painting the yellow panels as long as possible. Which is rather helpful for modellers wanting to set things in as long a time span as possible, but get in a wide variety of liveries ...

That 71 find is incredible.  The Southern really was out on a limb with this one: whilst other regions went with full yellow ends, there wasn't even a small yellow panel in sight on these!

Am I missing something here? I mean it was normal for diesel locos to be all over green before some sort of yellow warning was devised somewhere around 1962.

Mickey's pretty much summed it up: it seems that steam with blue and grey coaches is pretty commonplace compared to plain green with the same - except for the Southern, that is!

Am I missing something here? I mean it was normal for diesel locos to be all over green before some sort of yellow warning was devised somewhere around 1962.

In theory Larry the combination of blue grey coaches (mainly 1966/67 onwards) and diesel or electric locos with no warning panel yellow on their ends at all, shouldn't have happened but the Southern seems to be the odd man out. Thus the opportunity to pull together such unlikely pictures....

Dave 

There are a couple of pictures of rebuilt West Country Pacific 34004 Yeovil with a rake of eleven Mk1 and Mk2 blue and grey coaches on page 89 of the Swanage Branch in Colour by Andrew P.M. Wright. The engine was hauling the Warwickshire Railway Society's Farewell to Steam on the LSWR rail tour from Birmingham to Swanage  on Sunday 11 June 1967.

....steam with blue/grey coaches was fairly common Robin...as Chard states above. The bigger challenge is finding pictures of all green diesels or electrics (no yellow paint) with blue/grey coaches.

Dave

Embarrassing moment time Dave............For some reason I miss things when reading off a screen and so I missed blue & grey. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Replicate those pics on a layout and you know what will happen ..... !

I was once a member of a club where someone ran a two-tone green 27; when challenged as to the authenticity of the livery he produced a book with a good b&w photo as evidence - he was then accused of tampering with the book!

Back on thread, I learned something new here today - thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

....there is so much 'hackneyed' stuff in this hobby Alex that I find myself actively seeking the unusual and harder to find just to gain motivation and retain interest levels. The material is out there...just waiting to be revisited/re-examined.

Dave   

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There's a nice colour shot appeared on page 15 of the Sept/Oct (issue 223) of Traction showing D6505 in Green no yellow panel at Hinton Admiral, 23/07/66. The second coach is a Blue/Grey SK/TSO and the third coach a Stanier. The best combination of coaches in a train I've found so far, (going slightly off topic), was on a steam special on 21/07/68. I found a shot of 70013 hauling a train consisting of 70013, Stanier BSK (maroon), Mk1 TSO (maroon), Mk2 TSO (Blue/Grey), 2 x Mk1 TSO (both Blue/Grey), Mk1 CK (Blue/Grey), Stanier BSK (Blue/Grey), plus 2 more maroon coaches that I cannot positively identify. (One of them looks like a Stanier TSO). Just about the most varied collection of stock and liveries I've come across that late on.

Paul J

Archived