• RMweb Premium

There was a kit for the U's and U1's and N's and N1's.

I refer to the Wills bodyline kit design to fit on a Tri-ang 2-6-2 tank loco.

I bought such a kit and donated the tender elsewhere and used the body on a Hornby-Dublo chassis to produce a Class W, three cylinder tank loco.

I ran it on my loft layout for  a number of years and then I rewheeled it and converted to EM  for my exhibition layout Brockley Green SE4 layout.  Although that layout has gone south, I retained the loco and one day I may convert it to 00 and run it on my present exhibition layout Meopham East Junction. One day.................

Incidentally,  the Southern Railway would never use these locos on passenger workings, remembering Sevenoaks.

It was said that as they were being withdrawn from service by B.R., requests for enthusiasts specials were also refused. 

attachicon.gifW on Brockley Green Class.JPG

Clever scratch build there matey. Doesn't even look like a HB Chassis under that lot. Little less expensive than using a full works PDK Kit.

Phil

Are there not kits for the U's

Yes. Wills and DJH made U class kits and I tagged those in the heading. I have not got the skills to make one. I did build a Wills N class bodyline kit which looks nice but does not run well because the weight is too much for the Tri-ang chassis. You may be able to find a made up U class at a trade stand, an auction or on-line site. These are mysteriously likely to turn up if a manufacturer announces one. Often well made kits are selling for less than proprietary models.  Meanwhile it has been known for people to renumber a Bachmann N class to represent a U and no-one has noticed.

• RMweb Gold

I think trials were conducted in BR days of Ws on ecs workings but they proved unable to maintain the steaming rates required for sustained running at passenger train speeds.

Wadebridge men would tell you the same applied to the U1 moguls.

Fairburn and BR Standard 2-6-4Ts worked over SR metals without any problems. 

John

Yes. Wills and DJH made U class kits ....

If you have a look at DLT's ever-lengthening workbench thread, you should find a DJH "U" in there that he built. The kit has a number of errors that he had to correct, the most glaring of which was the footplate drop at both ends of the engine, which had to be deepened.

I don't think there has ever been a truly accurate kit for either a new-build "U" or a "Rebuilt River"; there are quite significant differences in overall width and footplate level between the two variants. Even the old Roche drawing managed to mix elements of the two without properly pointing out the distinction.

• RMweb Gold

I have it on good authority that even the 'conservative' loco crews at 72A just loved their Teddy Bear tanks for the few years they had them. 

Phil

I think they did but, apart from the banking turns, not much seems to have been expected of the 'W' class 'down west'.

I remember them on goods workings between Exmouth Junction and Yeovil Junction, often previously the province of Black Motors but not exactly demanding for a loco rated 6F.

My guess is that the big, comfy cabs had a lot to do with their popularity given what crews had previously endured in bad weather.

John

• RMweb Premium

If you have a look at DLT's ever-lengthening workbench thread, you should find a DJH "U" in there that he built. The kit has a number of errors that he had to correct, the most glaring of which was the footplate drop at both ends of the engine, which had to be deepened.

I don't think there has ever been a truly accurate kit for either a new-build "U" or a "Rebuilt River"; there are quite significant differences in overall width and footplate level between the two variants. Even the old Roche drawing managed to mix elements of the two without properly pointing out the distinction.

Yes indeed, I reckon the intention was to use a common footplate casting for both the U & N kits, and of course that doesn't work.

In theory the U & N are the same loco with different size driving wheels.  But of course that leads to all sorts of dimensional differences that in fact make them totally different, from a modelling point of view.

Cheers, Dave.

Archived