post-17621-0-43549100-1396798454_thumb.jpg

U class 2-6-0 31806 on Swanage Turntable on Friday 4 April 2014 for the Swanage Railway Spring Steam Gala. As far as I know no-one has yet produced a ready to run model of this class of locomotive in 0, 00 or N gauges although it was used throughout the Southern Railway, four U class engines have been preserved and it is high on wish list polls.

As far as I know, no one has yet produced a rtr model of this wonderful class! Bit of a shame, as they were beautiful and they gained the nickname 'U-boats' through their 'go-anywhere' ability! Of the 4 that survive, 31806 is the only K class rebuild.

Certainly one for my wish list!

There are some nice kits out there of them. I know the DJH one is not up to scratch. But the others as far as I know are fine. Build one and have something different to all the others. RTR will never do everything that everyone wants.

I will build an N class eventually. But all the moguls are nice looking.

I'm sure it would be possible to partially convert a Bachmann N class to at least resemble a U class, right?

They're the same length (57' 10"), same leading wheel diameter (3' 1") , same boiler pressure (200 psi), same cylinder size (19" x 28")
Only major differences as far as I can see, were the Driving wheel diameters (N class: 5' 6" U class: 6'), Splashers (N's didn't have them, U's did) 

Not sure if this is correct! If someone knows different, please inform me rather than hitting 'Disagree'

I'm sure it would be possible to partially convert a Bachmann N class to at least resemble a U class, right?

They're the same length (57' 10"), same leading wheel diameter (3' 1") , same boiler pressure (200 psi), same cylinder size (19" x 28")

Only major differences as far as I can see, were the Driving wheel diameters (N class: 5' 6" U class: 6'), Splashers (N's didn't have them, U's did) 

Not sure if this is correct! If someone knows different, please inform me rather than hitting 'Disagree'

Not only were the wheels larger on the U the wheel base was different too so that means the chassis is no good for the conversion. With the work involved to be it is not worth it. You have a boiler smokebox unit that could be used. It is not a lot of saving, all the rest would need building. Starting with a kit you should be streets ahead.

Not only were the wheels larger on the U the wheel base was different too so that means the chassis is no good for the conversion. With the work involved to be it is not worth it. You have a boiler smokebox unit that could be used. It is not a lot of saving, all the rest would need building. Starting with a kit you should be streets ahead.

I did say partially! ;)

Thanks for the info! :)

I'd look forward to a decent RTR model.

I agree with N15class. I have a DJH U class, may not be the greatest model but it does look like a U (at least from normal viewing distance). It has Portescape motor with a ZTC chip and runs very smoothly.

It's No 31639, I was hauled by that loco on the Maunsell Commemorative rail tour back in January 1965.

Eddie

There is a description by Tim Rayer and some scale drawings by Bob Phelps of the Maunsell U class 2-6-0 in the May 2014 Railway Modeller. The drawings relate to a rebuilt "River." There are a number of differences between the rebuilt K class 2-6-4Ts and those which were built as 2-6-0s and both were later modified. It looks like a minefield for the modeller and manufacturer. The Railway Modeller recommends Maunsell Moguls by Peter Swift (published by Ian Allan, ISBN 978 0 7110 3400 6) for further reading. The colour picture shows 31806 near Norden at the Swanage Railway Spring Steam Gala on Saturday 5 April 2014.

post-17621-0-76344400-1397146199_thumb.jpg

The U class is split into three really, The rebuilds, the new builds and the 3 cylinder U1s. It ishould be no more difficult to build the one you want with the usual research and use of photos of your prototype. Like all loco builds you only get out what you put in. The wheels, wheel bases, wheel sizes etc are the same. So it is more down to what number you want to whether its a rebuild or not.

As for  RTR manufacturer doing a U they too would just need to pick new or rebuilt. But I struggle with this waiting for a RTR manufacturer to make something for you, I thought the clue was in the title "model railways" give a bit of a clue. Where is the modelling in opening the box?

When I started modelling it was fairly easy to build a white metal kit that fitted an existing ready to run chassis. I found the Wills T9 and the Ks Adams Radial hard to construct and had to seek professional help to complete the models. To make a kit built U would be more difficult but would be a worthwhile project to fill a gap in Southern motive power.

The first U1, (3)1890 is also different from the others in quite a few ways. IIRC it has a different running plate, and started out with Holcroft's conjugated valve gear. Conjugated valve gear seemingly being one of Holcroft's fetishes judging by his memoirs. 

Yes you are right, the first N1 was the same too.

• RMweb Premium

I built a U-Class a couple of years ago, from a DJH loco body and SEF etched chassis, fitted with a Hornby tender.

The differences from the N are many and subtle, it would not be a practical proposition to convert a Bachmann N

My model is detailed on my Workbench thread, starting here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2359-dlts-southern-locos-adams-a12-jubilee/page-12 and quite a few of the differences are discussed.

Cheers, Dave.

I'd love a rebuilt K class U at some point. If I ever pluck up te courage to attempt it I might go for 31795 former river medway as I love the area and the name means a lot to me.

Big James.

Go on you know you want to.

But I struggle with this waiting for a RTR manufacturer to make something for you, I thought the clue was in the title "model railways" give a bit of a clue. Where is the modelling in opening the box?

I appreciate the fact you are willing and are capable of building kits, but some just aren't

I can just about scrape by on the scenic side of things, but I'm literally incapable of building any sort of model kit, even Airfix! I lack the knowledge, skills and tools required!

Therefore, I would much rather wait until a RTR company makes the model, and then I am more than willing to at least try and modify it! For instance rename/number the model

Not only were the wheels larger on the U the wheel base was different too so that means the chassis is no good for the conversion. With the work involved to be it is not worth it. You have a boiler smokebox unit that could be used....

The Irish batch which became Class K1/372 (5'6" drivers) and K1a/393 (6' drivers) were the exception, as they both had the same wheelbase, 7'3" x 8'3". They were, however, built to run on 5'3" gauge!

The Maunsell Moguls are not easy to portray, not helped by a lack of accurate drawings. Only the "N" has been the subject of an accurate model (RTR and kit - do beware the early batch of Bachmann engines, as their mazak footplates had a tendency to crumble into several pieces). Incidentally, RT Models is working on a replacement footplate etch for the Bachmann "N" to help those with broken mazak items. I have been trying to encourage them to consider a similar footplate to help convert the model into a new-build "U".

Unfortunately, the "U"s (both new and Rebuilt River) have only ever been the subject of flawed kits. Jidenco / Falcon Brass in particular produced a kit that was half new-build, and half Rebuilt River, resulting in a model that was neither, but their etches were clearly based on flawed drawings by the late F.J. Roche and repeated almost all his errors. The late Iain Beattie also produced a drawing for his old "Southern Locomotives To Scale" book, but this was just as flawed as Roche's.

As Pete points out, the DJH "U" kit has flaws of its own (mainly based on the footplate drop not being deep enough at front and rear), but is probably better than nothing. SEF's Dave Ellis told me he had a proper new-build "U" kit under development for years, but it was put on the back burner when its main designer, Alistair Rolfe, died. I don't see it being released any time soon.

I have not seen kits of the N1 or U1, so cannot comment on their accuracy.

The Irish batch which became Class K1/372 (5'6" drivers) and K1a/393 (6' drivers) were the exception, as they both had the same wheelbase, 7'3" x 8'3". They were, however, built to run on 5'3" gauge!

The Maunsell Moguls are not easy to portray, not helped by a lack of accurate drawings. Only the "N" has been the subject of an accurate model (RTR and kit - do beware the early batch of Bachmann engines, as their mazak footplates had a tendency to crumble into several pieces). Incidentally, RT Models is working on a replacement footplate etch for the Bachmann "N" to help those with broken mazak items. I have been trying to encourage them to consider a similar footplate to help convert the model into a new-build "U".

Unfortunately, the "U"s (both new and Rebuilt River) have only ever been the subject of flawed kits. Jidenco / Falcon Brass in particular produced a kit that was half new-build, and half Rebuilt River, resulting in a model that was neither, but their etches were clearly based on flawed drawings by the late F.J. Roche and repeated almost all his errors. The late Iain Beattie also produced a drawing for his old "Southern Locomotives To Scale" book, but this was just as flawed as Roche's.

As Pete points out, the DJH "U" kit has flaws of its own (mainly based on the footplate drop not being deep enough at front and rear), but is probably better than nothing. SEF's Dave Ellis told me he had a proper new-build "U" kit under development for years, but it was put on the back burner when its main designer, Alistair Rolfe, died. I don't see it being released any time soon.

I have not seen kits of the N1 or U1, so cannot comment on their accuracy.

I thought the Irish ones were from woolwich arsenal.But then my mind is like a sieve.

I appreciate the fact you are willing and are capable of building kits, but some just aren't

I can just about scrape by on the scenic side of things, but I'm literally incapable of building an sort of model kit, even Airfix! I lack the knowledge, skills and tools required!

Therefore, I would much rather wait until a RTR company makes the model, and then I am more than willing to at least try and modify it! For instance rename/number the model

I agree that we do not all have the same skill level. I started off building airfix models at about five years old. The skills are learnt, and continue to be. Before I could build locos I made do with RTR but was never satisfied with what was around, this drove the model making.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a description by Tim Rayner and some scale drawings by Bob Phelps of the Maunsell U class 2-6-0 in the May 2014 Railway Modeller. The drawings relate to a rebuilt "River."....

They are not bad drawings - certainly better than previously - although I have a nagging doubt about the size of the cabside cutout as shown - the rebuilt "Rivers" had quite a tall one which cut into the arc of the cab roof.

Archived