RMweb

Steve's 4mm workbench. Lima class 47 re vamp, 08 weathering and Hornby 25

2 hours ago, coline33 said:

Thanks, Steve, trust the nearby railway was a Colonel Stephens' one with permission!!!   I am a member of your nearest one!   Keep safe, Colin.

It was meant to be an industrial line somewhere, I tried to make it deliberately vague. I like the Colonel Stephen's idea. Which one are you a member of? 

The pretty one, Steve!!!   K&ESR.   I loved it when Harold took the DMU out and back for the first run of the day to Bodiam and we could chat through the open cab door.   I was brought up being behind the driver of a tram and seeing the road and the vista ahead.   I was in my element in the days of the Derby Lightweights and spent a fortnight one summer just sitting behind those huge windscreens and partition windows from Keswick out to and along the Cumbrian coast.   For 11 years a friend of mine drove the Melbourne trams and he loved taking out an early morning car to return down to the city as the day was breaking.   Colin.

I like the K&ESR a lot. I haven't been there for a few years though, I think the last time was a steam gala, first time I'd seen a  Terrier in the flesh, I never realised how small they are. It's a lovely part of the world, I keep trying to find the time to take the other half and tie it on with a trip to Bodium Castle.

• sb67 changed the title to Steve's 4mm workbench.
  • 1 month later...

Having been reading through some magazines, I came across an article about making a scarecrow. I thought I'd have a go, he can go on the allotment scene on my layout. Need to file him down a bit then paint.

99296137_551740049045065_4015265565256974336_n.jpg.6b56494e5a2cbef2f227366161015bcf.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely idea, Steve.   Some modellers might decide to have Beeching instead of a rural type.   Trouble with that would be it would scare the trains away!   Glad to see your imagination is not reduced by lock-down, Colin.

• Thanks 1

On 27/05/2020 at 08:22, coline33 said:

Lovely idea, Steve.   Some modellers might decide to have Beeching instead of a rural type.   Trouble with that would be it would scare the trains away!   Glad to see your imagination is not reduced by lock-down, Colin.

Thanks Colin. If I'm honest, I've enjoyed the extra time I've had during the lockdown, I've got loads of ideas, wether they will come to fruition is another question! 

I've done the scarecrow, it's a cruel close up but I quite like him.

100697308_652609808804043_2781166825113649152_n.jpg.6ede3b1e89364f15472bcfff2f4efae5.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've built some stuff from scale model scenery. Can anybody tell me what colour I should paint the stillages on the right of the picture. I'm not sure if they would have been metal or wood, I'm sure they were used in factories I've worked in but can remember too much about them. 

103452572_275731603614557_322349296882592929_n.jpg.e3607edeac8ab29eb978cbd01c4affaa.jpg

• Like 1

Steve, are the stillages wood or metal?   I suspect they are wood framed with MDF but of course that depends on the period you are modelling.   In the 60s and 70s the sides would have been in thick plywood.   So I do not think a wood colour would make them out of place.   Colin.

10 hours ago, coline33 said:

Steve, are the stillages wood or metal?   I suspect they are wood framed with MDF but of course that depends on the period you are modelling.   In the 60s and 70s the sides would have been in thick plywood.   So I do not think a wood colour would make them out of place.   Colin.

Hi Colin. The stillages I remember I thought would be metal but that would have been the eighties. Plywood makes sense for an earlier period and they would probably have lasted longer  as well  so they might be a bit more versatile.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I am back to PLA railways momentarily as I could not refuse Golden Valley's attractive price including postage offer on the PLA Janus 201.   I just had to have a second one.   Stephen of Narrow Planet had reproduced the PLA plate (see website) and on ordering can easy add the chosen number, 200 to 209.   Ordered on Ebay on Thursday the loco arrived Saturday.   In that time I had given the PLA plate etch its red background and cleaned the paint off the top surfaces.   So here it is as 200 and now ready for service with 201!   Not forgetting the Hornby steamer PLA 74!

PLA 200.JPG

• Like 3

That looks great Colin, did the printed number come off easily? 

It has tempted me! I've been running my one on my new layout and they do run well! 

Edited by sb67

Steve, now is the time to purchase a second PLA one from GV at about half the original RRP including p&p.   I understand that Narrow Planet has ceased to take further orders because of the second lockdown.   NP had to do this over the first lockdown as I too had to patiently await delivery of nameplates for my 009 East Quay locos.   The NP plate covers the printed plate spot-on hence you thought that I had removed it first!

I am again looking to do a single board layout to run my PLA Peckett, Austerities and Janus's (or should it be Janii?),   Keep well and safe, Colin.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coline33 said:

Steve, now is the time to purchase a second PLA one from GV at about half the original RRP including p&p.   I understand that Narrow Planet has ceased to take further orders because of the second lockdown.   NP had to do this over the first lockdown as I too had to patiently await delivery of nameplates for my 009 East Quay locos.   The NP plate covers the printed plate spot-on hence you thought that I had removed it first!

I am again looking to do a single board layout to run my PLA Peckett, Austerities and Janus's (or should it be Janii?),   Keep well and safe, Colin.   

I've put one on my xmas list, and she's starting xmas shopping this week! 

I'm trying to plan a layout inspired by the Silvertown Tramway so I could use them on that. 

G'Day Folks

Talking of the Silverton Tramway, took some pictures of ST back in the late 60's, if these of any use.

No 1, Small 0-6-0 diesel shunter at Broken Hill.

No 2, Number 28, at Cockburn.

No 3, 4-8-2, in storage, Broken hill.

manna

76.jpg

75.jpg

72.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

What is interesting about the history of the Silvertown Tramway is that the track bed was owned by the original enclosed dock company being inherited by the PLA in 1909 but always worked by a mainline company.   Dave Marden gives a good account in his Part 1 of "London's Dock Railways".   Yes Steve, why not add the Janus to work with the Class 08 you already have.   Any 'historical' complainant can continue until they are blue in the face!!!   Colin.   

Steve, I am coming to the conclusion that the Tilbury five 200-204 never received their numbers on plates so recommend any renumbering using the Narrow Planet plates be 205-209 which definitely got plates at Royals.   Alas Dave M is not able at present to delve further into his records for us.   Colin.

Steve, I meant Part 2 not 1!!!   Now found my PLA collection and can confirm that the plates were carried on 200-203 but as 204 is said to have remained at Tilbury and sold from there then 204 probably did not.   So you are OK with the printed as is 201.   Colin.

• 4 months later...

Justthought I'd share my latest efforts. One thing I struggle with is Painting walls!  I've tried various methods on these the last one on the wall in front of the building was pre painting and fine polyfiller for the mortar course. 

I think one of the problems is the relief on the sheets isn't great and more so with the polyfiller the mortar wont stay in the course.

I'm not sure if it's the colours but I just cant seem to get it right. I feel the wall is getting there though.  I'm going to add some weathering to these and see how they look on the layout.

166705923_1192137604549157_7105791629104112632_n.jpg.5f2b18f6ab8976cc0fc06f3f0a1c42cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• sb67 changed the title to Steve's 4mm workbench, wall woes!
Guest Jack Benson

Steve,

What the origins of the greenhouse and shed? They are very nice, subtle, understated but utterly realistic.

StaySafe

11 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Personally I think that looks really rather impressive!

Thank's Chris, maybe I wont do too much more as I can be guilty of overworking stuff!  :)

8 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Steve,

What the origins of the greenhouse and shed? They are very nice, subtle, understated but utterly realistic.

StaySafe

Thanks Jack. The shed was scratchbuilt from plasticard and the greenhouse was from the fantastic range of etched brass kits from Severn Models. 

• sb67 changed the title to Steve's 4mm workbench, OAA upgrade.

As a way of getting away from the scenic side of my layout I've finally started to upgrade some Hornby OAA wagons that have been in the box for a very long time, I've done a couple previously but I wanted to try a slightly different method ,so spurred on by @jessy1692's thread and reading Detailing Ready To Run Wagons by Ian Rice I started work, the aim being to make them look a bit more acceptable and not necessarily exactly accurate. I did try filling down the bit with the pivot on it but it was very brittle and it eventually broke so I resorted to cutting the spigot off and using araldite  sticking it back on the frame. 

I'll use some Dapol wheels I have and I also have some A1 disc brake inserts, other than that I just plan on re-painting weathering them. 

271386028_269575958574583_492698900364593535_n.jpg.4fad8b44c13e14457ca9aabd8b7726a5.jpg

270963614_427868212295564_4087024409936515357_n.jpg.c43ae8cb1ddf1537061dbe4f363715a7.jpg

I had to shave down the bars either side of the hole as they impaired the wheels when the truck was put back.

271177476_1064718277705992_2008038535328595629_n.jpg.bd6cc479925e5c130d3c4720d050c48b.jpg

All done, just waiting for the araldite to fully harden, not sure what material the underframes are made of but no glue seems to stick it! Hope the araldite works a bit better than other stuff I have tried! 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 07/01/2022 at 07:17, sb67 said:

As a way of getting away from the scenic side of my layout I've finally started to upgrade some Hornby OAA wagons that have been in the box for a very long time, I've done a couple previously but I wanted to try a slightly different method ,so spurred on by @jessy1692's thread and reading Detailing Ready To Run Wagons by Ian Rice I started work, the aim being to make them look a bit more acceptable and not necessarily exactly accurate. I did try filling down the bit with the pivot on it but it was very brittle and it eventually broke so I resorted to cutting the spigot off and using araldite  sticking it back on the frame. 

I'll use some Dapol wheels I have and I also have some A1 disc brake inserts, other than that I just plan on re-painting weathering them. 

271386028_269575958574583_492698900364593535_n.jpg.4fad8b44c13e14457ca9aabd8b7726a5.jpg

270963614_427868212295564_4087024409936515357_n.jpg.c43ae8cb1ddf1537061dbe4f363715a7.jpg

I had to shave down the bars either side of the hole as they impaired the wheels when the truck was put back.

271177476_1064718277705992_2008038535328595629_n.jpg.bd6cc479925e5c130d3c4720d050c48b.jpg

All done, just waiting for the araldite to fully harden, not sure what material the underframes are made of but no glue seems to stick it! Hope the araldite works a bit better than other stuff I have tried! 

Looks a good bit of old fashioned hacking there! I think the chassis is that nylon plastic, I find that Gorrilla Glue superglue is pretty good on it as long as the area to be glued up has been roughened up. Araldite should work fine too.

Thanks for the reminder I probably need disc brake inserts for mine!

All the best

James