The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Strange Medical Problems

Bernard Lamb

One of our midweek cycling group was not out today.

He had to go into hospital for an operation.

Last week on a visit to the dentist the dentist dropped a screwdriver in his mouth and it could not be found.

The first thought was that the chap had swallowed it.

Give it two or three days and it should come out the other end was the dentist's comment.

After four days it had not emerged so the chap went back to see the dentist.

Better visit the John Radcliffe and get an X ray was the advice.

An X ray of the stomach and digestive system showed no sign of the missing screwdriver.

Further X rays were done and the screwdriver was located.

In a lung.

The surgeon was called.

I have come across such a case once before he said, though it is a very rare thing.

Who was the dentist asked the surgeon.

It was not the same one who had caused the problem that he had seen before.

The chap was due to be operated on this afternoon to remove the screwdriver.

Any one beat that for a strange story?

Bernard

I've had peas and flies rattling around in my airways in the past but have managed to cough them up eventually. A screwdriver, even a presumably tiny one, makes me wince a bit.

Many years ago a dentist told me that she had been doing some work in a hospital in a very poor part of the city (no names -no pack drill) and was surprised (to put it mildly) to find that the grizzled old man in the chair had a very small tomato plant growing from a seed lodged in a very deep cavity in one his molars. It was obviously completely white as there was no sunlight getting to it, but she said it was like a little bonsai tree in that it was 'small, but perfectly formed'.

I thought we might be heading toward the 'tip of the iceberg' story with this one.

The one I cherish is a late colleague who had believed himself partially deaf in one ear for many years - like a couple of decades - and when he was eventually in front of a doctor (being the kind of person who hadn't needed a Doctor's attentions since childhood immunisations) mentioned this fact. Long story short, there was a small Lego piece well wedged and gummed up. Had never owned Lego or knowingly gone any where near it, no kids, altogether rather puzzling.

But not as puzzling to me, as the simple fact of not getting partial deafness checked out sooner...

• RMweb Gold

I thought we might be heading toward the 'tip of the iceberg' story with this one.

The one I cherish is a late colleague who had believed himself partially deaf in one ear for many years - like a couple of decades - and when he was eventually in front of a doctor (being the kind of person who hadn't needed a Doctor's attentions since childhood immunisations) mentioned this fact. Long story short, there was a small Lego piece well wedged and gummed up. Had never owned Lego or knowingly gone any where near it, no kids, altogether rather puzzling.

But not as puzzling to me, as the simple fact of not getting partial deafness checked out sooner...

Pardon?

Mike.

Archived