The Swindon Railway Festival - STEAM Museum 13th/14th Sept

Long Line

s·         

SWINDON RAILWAY FESTIVAL

- 2014 -

STEAM MUSEUM SWINDON

Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 September, 10.00 am - 5.00 pm

The Swindon Railway Festival, now in its 13th year, brings together the country’s finest model railway layouts, demonstrators and traders. Last year's model rail layouts 'wowed' visitors with their astounding level of detail and sheer ingenuity. And this year, there will be a few surprises too, including many never-seen-before displays!

There will be plenty to do for railway fans of all ages - from a Thomas the Tank Engine model railway to inspirational workshops and demonstrations by expert modellers, including Pete Waterman and model giant Hornby.

The Festival will also showcase exclusive Steam limited edition items, including the new 00 Gauge Hornby model of GWR No. 4003 Lode Star.

Refreshments will be aplenty, with STEAM's own Platform One Café serving delicious hot meals and snacks. We also have a GWR barbecue at the front of the Museum inside our Festival marquee, together with a real ale bar, courtesy of Box Steam Brewery.

As the Festival takes place among Steam’s permanent exhibits, you can climb aboard No. 4073 Caerphilly Castle and GWR No. 4003 Lode Star. Here you can take a real trip down memory lane and have a chat with our friendly team of STEAM volunteers, including retired engine drivers and signalmen!

Don't miss the chance to 'drive' our train simulator or test your skills as a signalman in our authentic Signal Box. There's a special certificate for children who successfully move the points with the original signal levers! So make sure you come and join us as we celebrate the wonderful world of railways, past and present.

Please note: special admisson prices apply for the Swindon Railway Festival.

LAYOUTS

Dainton Bank      7mm GWR

Ashwood Basin 7mm (industrial)

Runswick Bay 7mm NER

Bont Faen 7mm TVR

Tilsdown 7mm LSWR

Purgatory Peak 7mm NG American Logging

Chesil Exchange 7mm Colonel Stephens

Coldenrick Road 7mm BG GWR

Bristol Goods shed 7mm GWR

Lelant 7mm BG GWR

Yeoton Wharf 3mm BG GWR

Headingly Depot 4mm (Leeds Trams)

The Gresley Beat 4mm LNER

Horfield 4mm GWR/BR

Fryupdale 4mm NER

Penrhos 4mm GWR

Dolgoch Diorama 4mm NG (Talyllyn RS)

Awdry St Nicholas 4mm (hands on)

Wenford Bridge Goods depot 2mm

Wansbeck Road 2mm BR/NE

Stanford East N Gauge BR/NE

Headingly Station N Gauge NER

Broadwater Junction N Gauge GWR

OTHERS

Test track Gauge 3

Test Track 7mm

Brian Pole 7mm rolling stock

Mark Price  John Glaze display

DEMONSTRATORS

John Witts and friends Gauge 3 modelling

Mark Henshaw SCALE148 modelling to 2.06mm/ft

Bob Brown 3mm GWR Modelling

Fred Lewis 7mm Loco construction

Phill Abbot 7mm Welsh Railways

John Taylor Pattern making

Andy Duncan Soldering

Dave Walker Gauge 1 & 3 construction

Liz Marsden Painting and lining

Barry Oliver Weathering

Jerry and Kim Clifford 2mm Modelling

David and Sylvia White NG & Buildings

J Gardiner & R Bishop NER/GER

Geoff Shepard Alan Garner and friends BG Modellling and research

List of Traders to date:

Preserved Railways and Other Displays
Traction Engine Display by Hatch Heritage and Steam Engineers
Friends of Swindon Railway Museum
Ffestinog & Welsh Highland Railway
6024 Preservation Society
Dinmore Manor Locomotive Ltd
Swindon and Cricklade Railway
Avon Valley Railway
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway
Great Western Society
Pendon Museum
6880 Betton Grange Society
Rodbourne Community History Group
Dennis Feltham Railway Photography
Swindon Model Railway Club
UTC Swindon

Car Parking
Car parking is located at the nearby Swindon Designer Outlet North Car Park. Please note there is no free parking available for The Swindon Railway Festival.

DETAILS

Admission: Adults £10.00; Children

£7.50 and Seniors £8.50; Family tickets

£25.00 (two adults, one child) and £30.00

(two adults, two children). Under

threes go free.

10% discount off admission for

STEAM Season Ticket holders

when purchased from the Museum.

Fire Fly Avenue

Swindon

SN2 2EY

01793 466646

Email enquiries:

steammuseum@swindon.gov.uk

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A friendly show in the STEAM Museum at Swindon - so combine a trip around the museum with the model railway exhibition. 

STEAM - Museum of the Great Western Railway, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon SN2 2EY

Saturday 13th September 2014 and Sunday 14th September 2014. Opening times both days: 10 am to 5 pm
Prices: Adult ticket £10.00* Senior ticket £8.50* Child ticket £7.50* Family ticket(2 adults + 1 child) £25.00* Family ticket(2 adults + 2 children) £30.00*  Under 3s go free  * please check with the museum website for any updates. The price includes admission to the Steam Museum.

Disability access: Yes
Car parking: Unknown

Layouts

Gauge 3

Yeoton Wharf

O Gauge

Runswick Bay

Ashwood Basin

Tilsdown

Lelant

Coldrennick Road

Bont Faen

Chesil Exchange

On30

Purgatory Peak

4mm

Horfield Station 1955-61

Gresley Beat 

Fryupdale

Awdry St Nicholas (Childrens layout)

Penrhos

Headingley Depot - Leeds Trams

St Stephen's Road - Hornby Magazine

N Gauge

Stamford East

Broadwater Junction

Headingley Station

2mm Fine Scale

Wansbeck Road

Wenford Bridge Goods Depot

List of Traders to date:

Just Like The Real Thing
Squires Tools
Kernow Model Centre
Picture Pride Displays
Ian Allan Publishing
Cheltenham Model Centre
Invicta Model Rail
Golden Age Models
Oakwood Press

Plus demonstrations from a number of well know modellers 

• RMweb Premium

Mike

oh yes.. beer from Box brewery and yes a mess will be available....its your turn this year as Dr Station Cat did all the work last year..

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Mike

oh yes.. beer from Box brewery and yes a mess will be available....its your turn this year as Dr Station Cat did all the work last year..

Baz

My current plan is Ricoh on Saturday and Steam on Sunday (even if the latter does sound like the title of a programme on the telly) - and that probably means the good Doctor might not accompany me, unless she can get a day off work.

• RMweb Gold

My current plan is Ricoh on Saturday and Steam on Sunday (even if the latter does sound like the title of a programme on the telly) - and that probably means the good Doctor might not accompany me, unless she can get a day off work.

Will see you there Mike. We will be there in our usual 2mm corner on the Sunday, I'm at my daughters wedding on the Saturday.

Jerry

Always an excellent weekend this one, a well established date in any GWR modellers calender,and  once again there is a great line up of layouts and demonstrators  + the museum itself and the Outlet shopping centre opposite if other distractions are sought by your partners?

cheers Mark

• RMweb Gold

Kim and I will only be on the 2mm demo on the Sunday as our daughter Holly is getting married on the Saturday.

2mm demonstrators for Saturday will be the brilliant  Julia Adams (Missy) and Rich Brummitt.

As others have said, a great show in a fabulous museum. Not to be missed.

Jerry

Thinking of going.. Drop the wife and daughter to go shopping.. Should give me a couple of hours in the exhibition, even if I don't get into the museum properly.. 

The exhibition is in the museum so you won`t miss it ---- the museum that is

• RMweb Premium

No you can just turn up and pay .. and you will experience the Museum as the exhibits are arranged around the Museum with a large  and a smaller hall with a lot of exhibits/traders/ demonstrators (including me) in them.. which leads to .. tthe beer tent and traction engines!!

• RMweb Premium

This is the same weekend as the Swindon and Cricklade Railway's Wartime weekend. So there is potentially a very good day out, as both could be fitted into a day

Is there no O gauge test track this year?

Test track will be there - no live steam on it but it covers most other O gauge forms of electrical pick up.

• RMweb Gold

No you can just turn up and pay .. and you will experience the Museum as the exhibits are arranged around the Museum with a large  and a smaller hall with a lot of exhibits/traders/ demonstrators (including me) in them.. which leads to .. tthe beer tent and traction engines!!

Yes, it is a rather nice way of arranging an exhibition I think and it seems to work very well in the setting at Steam.  One can of course ignore it all and proceed direct to beer tent, which also usually includes a purveyor of food as well.

Must think about what I can buy to give young Baz a chance of demonstrating explaining how to do his weathering.

• RMweb Gold

Shame it clashes with both TINGS and RMWeb Live. We need better co-ordination between these big events, there is only one of me and I even I can't be in 3 places at once.

I think it's just an accident of venue availability as far as RMweb live is concerned from something which Andy posted a long time back.  The Swindon date has been fairly static in the calendar for quite a few years now.

• RMweb Premium

Shame it clashes with both TINGS and RMWeb Live. We need better co-ordination between these big events, there is only one of me and I even I can't be in 3 places at once.

I think Mike is correct as the Show at STEAM has run for a number of years - so it doesn't "clash" with RMWeb - the biggest problem is that whatever weekend you choose you will always have multiple shows... 

As an example the Leeds Show is on the last weekend in October and has been for over 50 years.. it used to be the only show that weekend - and now.... we have shows all over including in West Yorkshire..

Its going to happen in december where everyone seems to be aiming at the same weekend as this was fairly "show free".

Archived