The Swindon Railway Festival - STEAM Museum 13th/14th Sept

Long Line

• RMweb Gold

No you can just turn up and pay .. and you will experience the Museum as the exhibits are arranged around the Museum with a large  and a smaller hall with a lot of exhibits/traders/ demonstrators (including me) in them.. which leads to .. tthe beer tent and traction engines!!

Wife might be driving home then! Although, she won't be very happy if I eat and drink beer while she is shopping.. Might have to at least have lunch with her.

As an example the Leeds Show is on the last weekend in October and has been for over 50 years.. it used to be the only show that weekend - and now.... we have shows all over including in West Yorkshire..

Does a show in Leeds share the same audience with a show that's held in Swindon? Ie will a Leeds enthusiast travel to Swindon or vice-versa? Doubt it somehow.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Does a show in Leeds share the same audience with a show that's held in Swindon? Ie will a Leeds enthusiast travel to Swindon or vice-versa? Doubt it somehow.

Regards

you would be surprised as we have had at least two people from leeds turn up at Swindon and vice versa over the years....

mind you with a Leeds manufacturers plate (now run out of Statfold) will we see you at either??

Baz

I think Mike is correct as the Show at STEAM has run for a number of years - so it doesn't "clash" with RMWeb - the biggest problem is that whatever weekend you choose you will always have multiple shows... 

As an example the Leeds Show is on the last weekend in October and has been for over 50 years.. it used to be the only show that weekend - and now.... we have shows all over including in West Yorkshire..

Its going to happen in december where everyone seems to be aiming at the same weekend as this was fairly "show free".

It already has Barry, a new  plastic modelling 'magazine led' show started in Earls court on the same weekend as 'The Model Show' in Dec last year, taking many of our exhibitors and this year we've seen Manchester move to our weekend in 2015 and that's only 10 miles away!....and i could site many other examples of shows gazumping existing dates in recent years...which in many cases was with clear awareness of what they were doing and a total disregard for the other parties...it seems that in many cases-there is no common courtesy in our hobby any longer...

I for one shall contribute/support the Museums event..which as a GWR modeller and enthusiast i have done for over a decade now.

cheers Mark

Not having gone for a few years, I'm greatly looking forward to this show. I seem to remember before however, that parking was free, but the website says that free parking is not allowed for this event & they advise the Designer Outlet - which sounds very expensive, especially for a few hours' stay. Does anyone know of a better/cheaper place to park at all?

Many thanks in advance to our usually helpful group!!

best to all

exmoordave

Really looking forward to my visit on the Sat! Had a great time last year! :sungum:  :locomotive: One question though, will the Hornby Road show be there this year? Clashing with be announcements at RMweb Live. I always look forward to seeing the new prototypes and it's one of the only shows they tend to turn up to in the South West :scratchhead:  

• RMweb Gold

According to their website the designer outlet charge £1 for up to 5 hours but it then shoots up to £12 for 5-12 hours. (Or free if you spend over £100!)

http://www.mcarthurglen.com/uk/swindon-designer-outlet/en/plan-your-visit/getting-here/

That does include spending £100 at Steam/the show (and I think it was a lot less than that last year - something like spend £20+ and the £1 fee was waived as well.

Re- the previous 2 posts... you got me there...as an exhibitor and steward you often miss things like parking arrangements..

We will be there early Friday morning and shall inquire of the museum staff and get answers posted ... hopefully by mid day?

packed now and ready for some sleep...

Styrene modelling will be the order this weekend with two viaducts to finish for an impending outing.. no pressure!

cheers

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I went on Sunday.. Have to say, I wish I'd had all day to stay. Some of the layouts were amazing and could have wondered around for a little longer. The trade was a little disappointing though, I think there 3 model shops all selling boxes and boxes of the same thing. But no odds and ends, no kits etc.. I spoke to one of the traders and he said I was so expensive to come that they take the big ticket items.

• RMweb Premium

As usual at Steam a very good show, well worth the the trip  (and even the Cornish pasty I bought in the catering tent was exactly what it claimed to be as far as the ingredients were concerned - which makes a nice change compared with the oddities sold at some venues)

Yes

very nice they were too! A "proper job!!"

I understand that the number of visitors was slightly up on last year......might be why my voice didn't last...

Baz

Thanks again to the many that visited this year, as suggested numbers were once again up and it makes me wonder how its all gonna fit one day? especially as we are now working towards another BIG GWR year in 2016- the anniversary of the sites opening.

As predicted the layouts rose beyond expectations with some cracking examples in a wide selection of scales..

It was good to see the large number of young families attending alongside the regulars.

As Barry has suggested already we all came away horse from demonstrating... shan't be sorry to give the tongue a rest next year, reserving it for afterwards in the 'Glue Pot' and get back to running some trains..

Apologies for not posting the parking info but no PC with me and had delegated 2 people to both post the info? for future knowledge though the museum website apparently carries all pertinent traffic and parking info for visitors..

Cheers again and see you next year,

Mark

PS. if you havn't seen Alf Fanthams set up day video on the Warley facebook page yet?.. the sarcastic comments about 'people standing around with I Pads in your way' was me... only as i passed him did he whisper he was filming for facebook!

Was an amazing event! Great layouts and great people too!  :locomotive: Plus learn a lot in the weathering department :jester: . As usual I filmed all the layouts and displays I could at the event for YouTube and I'll be posting the video on here if anyone is interesting.  :declare:  

post-20663-0-57313700-1410814059_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-65575700-1410814071_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd post a few photos from a great show - hope you like them.

Chesil Exchange

post-5890-0-66546200-1410845375.jpg

Broadwater Junction

post-5890-0-13628900-1410845663.jpg

Penrhos

post-5890-0-05402300-1410846005.jpg

Ashwood Basin

post-5890-0-69878500-1410846127.jpg

post-5890-0-36105900-1410846176.jpg

Stamford East

post-5890-0-39481900-1410846235.jpg

Runswick Bay

post-5890-0-17754900-1410846509.jpg

post-5890-0-44035500-1410846549.jpg

post-5890-0-87948900-1410846601.jpg

Gresley Beat

post-5890-0-85017300-1410846680.jpg

post-5890-0-66286700-1410846735.jpg

Purgatory Peak

post-5890-0-06014700-1410846792.jpg

post-5890-0-64188100-1410846843.jpg

post-5890-0-68399200-1410846895.jpg

If I've got any layout names wrong please let me know.

Bob.

At last! My videos of the event is online!; :locomotive:  :sungum:

September 13th and 14th saw STEAM, the Museum of the Great Western Railway hold their 13th annual Swindon Railway Festival. As always the event proved very popular with modellers and railway enthusiasts young and old, enjoying the many layouts, trade stands and demonstrations on display around the museum. With many new, never before seen layout, plus iconic layouts such as the famous Gresley Beat.
Filmed during my visit on Saturday 13th, this video feature all of the layouts on display, plus many of the other displays and exhibits! 
Hope you enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkvs-YeoKQ

post-20663-0-96991000-1410881896.png

Archived