HO Scale NYC Subway trains

Jak K-S

I've always had a strong interest in London Underground and subway trains from all over the world, but after a trip out there a year or so ago I began wondering if anyone could shed some light on the New York City Subway? So far I've found that Walthers-Proto make a very brown liveried ready to run 4-car set of R17 stock, has anyone come across this model before? Are there any known subway layouts out here on the UK scene? I'm not the most experienced modeller but it seems like it could be a great challenge to undertake!

Any thoughts on the subject? :blink:

• RMweb Gold

During the last few years Proto 1000 have made a number of different liveried versions of the NYC subway car and I think I have got most of what has been released (purchased through Model Junction). A couple of brass importers in the US produce other types of subway/elevated cars but these tend to be in very short runs and relatively expensive. I think MTS Imports is one of these companies.

During my time in Japan I purchased some models of Tokyo subway trains (made in card and motorised) but so far I've not incorporated any of these models in a layout.

My layout here (in a shed at the bottom of the garden) was started when I returned from Japan in 1999 but progess stalled around 2005 when I got hooked on G-Scale in the garden. At the moment I'm contemplating an extension to the house to incorporate a new layout room so I'm actively thinking about incorporating a subway line on the new layout.

I've seen "Abbey Road" and it's predecessor layout by the owner of Metromodels (http://www.metromodels.net) which have given me some ideas but, apart from EFE unmotorised tube stock, I have not (yet) purchased any of the Metromodels products. My only problem is being able to build a line on which US, Japanese and UK subway stock can be run.........but not all at the same time ;)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The Walthers NYC subway train is a rather basic model.It has no interior detail,only a lump of white plastic covering the drive mechanism,which almost fills the body.The couplings are a bit long,leaving large gaps between cars.On the plus side the mechanism is very good.

Thanks for your responses, some very useful sites and sound information guys. I understand your problem Keith with trying to work out a layout that can run all types of stock, I'm now in a similar position! Is Model Junction a UK based shop then? What is the mark-up like on models from the US over here? I'm considering buy it now option on the new Proto 1000 'Tuscan' liveried train from a US eBay seller you see (its about 20 quid added postage though).

Also, does anyone think its worth investing in Peco code 83 American track to make a simple subway based shelf layout? Does code 100 look that much different?

Cheers all,

Jak

I wouldn't worry about Peco Code 83 for a subway layout. Subways don't tend to use the same sleeper spacing as the regular railways (at least they don't in Toronto - I don't know about NYC), probably because they don't take the same loading as regular railways. The Code 100 should be fine.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Jak,

I would go as far as saying that Model Junction provide an excellent mail order service - I've been using them for years, prices are very competitive, discounts offered for pre-ordered items, vouchers given for use on next purchases and free postage on qualifying shipments.Check out the details on their website......

I have no connection with Model Junction other than being a long term happy customer of the shop owned and operated by Stewart and Farah.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the responses, I opted for the Walthers Tuscan red R17 subway set through an eBay seller in the end as the price reduction was in the region of 25 GBP and they could dispatch straight away. I know the model is fairly basic compared to things like the new Bachmann class 411 but I'm more into running trains rather than being overly fussy about detail plus for the price I can't complain. Model Junction does look like a great website too and they were very helpful when I contacted them so I'll be ordering things from them in the future for sure.

Well, once its arrives and I get my universal subway layout going I'll post some pictures on here! Next step is to sort a track plan... B)

Jak

• 3 years later...

I have just purchased a HO 4 car set of the R17 cars in red livery and agree with the comments above. My set is from an older batch and does not have the pantograph gates on the end and is not DCC compatible

So a few questions

Does anyone which manufacture suitable pantograph gates for these cars?

I intend to DCC these cars and found instricrions for the Proto1000 Budd railcar which I underrstand is similar electically - so is this a good route to go down?

I understand that the car lights are bulbs rather then LED's will they have to be changed for DCC operation?

Nigel

I have several sets of the Proto 1000 Subway cars, both pre- and post- gate fitting. They are basic but great fun. There is no problem running filament bulbs with DCC and indeed their incandescent glow is much more authentic with prototypes of this era. In essence as long as the DCC chip is interposed between the pickup and the mechanism the set up should work. BTW most of my subway cars have come from Trainworld of Brooklyn, NYC, I've never had a problem getting mailorder from them.

Archived