Coloured banner repeater signals

Picked up my sister from Wigan North Western this afternoon and saw something I've never seen before, a coloured banner repeater signal.

The signal is at the end of the up (London Bound) main line platform, and has been a standard white banner repeater for many years. Now it seems to be a LED one, was in the OFF position with a brightly lit green (presumably LED) background. I was at the wrong end of the platform, but the bar seemed to be black (unlit LED@s ?) at the usual 45 deg angle.

Question is, if the signal it repeats is at danger, does the repeater show a red aspect with black horizontal bar, similar for yellow ?.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

These are an enhanced banner.

They show the normal horizontal bar when the signal they repeat is at danger, when the signal is at yellow or double yellow they show the 45 deg bar with a white background and when the signal is at green the banner is also green.

The idea is a driver knows that the signal is green and full line speed can be held (subject to any TSR / PSR) when the repeater is green but when it's white, even though it's off, he knows it's showing an adverse aspect and can, if necessary, start braking, easing off, whatever.

Here it is at green for those who don't know what these things look like

post-6662-0-48073700-1397340938_thumb.jpg

And at danger

post-6662-0-12914600-1397340980_thumb.jpg

And repeating a Yellow or Double Yellow

post-6662-0-71643300-1397341130_thumb.jpg

All photos courtest of my son - https://www.flickr.com/photos/97403198@N03/

The first one was installed at Watford Junction some years back

There are quite a few of these on the Midland Mainline now, two of which I've found particularly helpful - both are on the Down Fast line with one at Bedford, just south of platform 4 giving a handy indication of the junction signal ahead (out of sight at the north end of the platform), and another approaching Wellingborough which applies to the out of sight signal just north of the A45 overbridge - if it's 'green' I'll be right away towards Kettering whereas if it's 'white' there's a good chance I'll be going into the Down Goods Loop for an hour or two, or crossed over onto the Up & Down Slow instead!

• RMweb Gold

Lots of additional banner repeaters around the network have been installed since a major SPAD review in the early 2000s particularly of signals at or fairly closely in advance of platform ends where there could be additional sighting problems.  

there is one in bescot on the down that is a "splitting banner" for the junction signal both of which can show a green aspect

• RMweb Gold

thats the reason they put one in at norton bridge on the up fast (first one i ever saw) so the pendolinos have a bit more warning if the signal is a restrictive aspect, its almost like 5 aspect signalling or  those flashing greens you see north of peterborough

To be fair , Norton Bridge on the up fast at linespeed (or indeed Tilting enhanced speeds) is a tight signal section , so the green banner was most welcome when installed. There's also one at Kidderminster as part of the recent resignalling.

Archived