Identifying Kit Built LNER Wagons

I have just purchased 5 kit built wagons that were part of an estate. They are nicely built and finished - 4 of them being etched brass and the 5th plastic and all have KD couplers fitted.

2 of them are by D & S Models according to the etched underframe, however the manufacturer and type of the other 3 are unknown.

Perhaps members of RMWeb can help identify these:

D&S Pigeon Van Dia 120

post-9373-0-78726600-1397518478_thumb.jpg

D&S NB Fish Van DS204

post-9373-0-03093800-1397518707_thumb.jpg

Large Brake Van - Unknown make/type

post-9373-0-07295600-1397518727_thumb.jpg

Large Open Wagon - 276mm (69') over buffers - Unknown make/type

post-9373-0-81833700-1397518837_thumb.jpg

Brake Van - Plastic - probably Slaters

post-9373-0-40777600-1397518900_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Canada

Brake van is definitely the Slaters kit.  The rail wagon might well be Cambrian, though I've never built one qnd don't know how accurate it is, especially for the large letter period.

The bogie brake van is, I believe, the R & E models GC bogie goods brake.  I have one but I've never seen one built.  There's a thread on the LNER forum about it here

The "large open" looks like a Salmon in original condition, or perhaps its predecessor, the Dolphin(?). Used for carrying track materials.

As for the origin of the kit, I couldn't say. Sorry.

Certainly a Dolphin, and looks nicely done as well.

Paul

If the large long rail wagon is etched is it one of John Grey's kits?

I am sure Johnathan weallens will help on this one..

Certainly a Dolphin, and looks nicely done as well.

Paul

David, Barry and Paul thanks for identifying the long open wagon as a Dolphin.

It is definitely etched brass so not Cambrian unless they did some etched kits. No markings on the underframe at all however the bogies are Ratio.

It has been very neatly done as there are several layers of detail on the sides so many small parts had to be sweated on.

Steve

Brake van is definitely the Slaters kit.  The rail wagon might well be Cambrian, though I've never built one qnd don't know how accurate it is, especially for the large letter period.

The bogie brake van is, I believe, the R & E models GC bogie goods brake.  I have one but I've never seen one built.  There's a thread on the LNER forum about it here

Thanks Jweallans,

The picture of the etchings on the LNER forum look exactly like the goods brake. It is definitely a very unusual piece. I have never heard of R&E Models - are they still about?

Steve

R & E Models were Robin Peover.  He also did the GC bogie fish van, a horsebox, a covered van and maybe others.  He stopped producing, I believe due to illness, some time ago.  Brassmasters, who used to supply the fish van, say on their website that they hope to have some more available during 2014 so he may be manufacturing again.

I'd be interested to know where the Dolphin comes from, it's not a kit I've ever come across.  The only route I was aware of to one would be via the Cambrian Quint underframe and bogies.

R & E Models were Robin Peover.  He also did the GC bogie fish van, a horsebox, a covered van and maybe others.  He stopped producing, I believe due to illness, some time ago.  Brassmasters, who used to supply the fish van, say on their website that they hope to have some more available during 2014 so he may be manufacturing again.

I'd be interested to know where the Dolphin comes from, it's not a kit I've ever come across.  The only route I was aware of to one would be via the Cambrian Quint underframe and bogies.

I got a R&E Horsebox via Brassmasters last year , not quite upto D&S standards . I will have one of those bogie vehicles if they reappear.

Didn't A1/John Grey do a Sturgeon a few years ago? Someone might have altered one to make a Dolphin.

I googled A1 Models John Grey and got the following link to an RMWeb topic: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66443-former-a1-4mm-brass-kits-for-the-trestrol-and-other-steel-carrying-wagons/

This confirms that the Dolphin was a product of A1 Models (A8342) and was a superstructure only kit blown up from 2mm. This would explain the rudimentary underframe details and Ratio bogies.

There is also a picture posted by Wizard of the Moor of another very nicely built example.

Thanks to everyone who helped identify these wagon kits.

Steve

Canada

Archived