The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium

Something different. Are pictures like this welcome here?

Near Cleobury Mortimer. Camera at OS grid ref: SO 67533 76590

attachicon.gifcleobury_barn_1280_rp.jpg

click image for better quality

Martin.

There are plenty of ways to capture "British" (and none to define it) and I for one will always have a soft spot for the run-down and the eccentric.

- Richard.

Scotch Corner, June 2012

post-14389-0-43070000-1461973200.jpg

• Like 9

Some Northumberland beach pictures - not taken on particularly quiet days.  The beaches are usually fairly quiet.

Lucky you, I wish our local beaches were quiet, for a nice walk with the dogs, I mustn't be unsociable but owning a Leonberger ( as well as a GSD), everyone wants to stop, make a fuss of the 'Teddy Bear' and talk about the breed(s), and it takes ages to complete a good walk ! Must stop by on the way down from a weeks break in the Highlands in September, to have a look at the Northumberland beaches, and let the pups stretch their legs en-route. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry you don't like my pictures. But I'm not too clear what you mean by "waded in". I have posted many times in this thread, the first time being on page 5 of now 28 pages, here:

Martin.

Sorry Martin - 

I couldn't make sense of your second photo of Titterstone Clee, and I missed the first one altogether.

This was largely due to incarceration at one of our airports, the ensuing decision to surf the RMWeb on a smartphone, not understanding what I was looking at, and then feeling the need to post a reply. Actually I rather like your first view (golf ball and ruined building), it seems very British indeed.

I could have taken a pic of the airport, but whilst particularly British I think it would have lowered the tone and deemed somewhat uncalled for.

Keep 'em coming, but for "guess the location" I agree we could have another thread.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 2

Guest Isambarduk

I must confess that I was not aware of The Rhiw Valley Light Railway even though it is just beyond Abermule, so not far from me at all.  I could cycle there although the return trip up the steep Mule Gorge, followed by the former Kerry branch, would tax my legs just a bit!

Thank you for the additional images, Marin.  I recognise those locations, especially the transfer shed:

(1)DCP_0026.jpg

which is my cue to prepare to turn off the main road into Abermule when I'm returning from Welshpool.

David

......Thank you for the additional images, Marin.  I recognise those locations, especially the transfer shed:

which is my cue to prepare to turn off the main road into Abermule when I'm returning from Welshpool.

The style of the signboard reminds us that it was the LMS who owned the Shropshire Union  - and presumably found it worthwhile maintaining because its two arms ran deep into GWR territory. In 1936 the Welsh section down to Welshpool suffered a breach and temporary isolation. Then in wartime the LMS threw in the towel and closed this section with the London Midland and Scottish Railway (Canals) Act, 1944.

:stinker:

dh

Edited by runs as required

• RMweb Gold

Syntley Farm, Astley, Worcestershire in 1969.

attachicon.gifastley_1280_rp.jpg

Camera at OS grid ref: SO 79746 68562

Thanks for the Likes on this. Although it is 47 years ago, I do remember taking the picture because I was standing in a muddy puddle. For those interested, taken on Ilford PanF and processed in Paterson Acuspecial (then new and making waves).

The wife of a good friend used this image as the inspiration for a very fine oil painting.

Martin.

• Like 3

There are plenty of ways to capture "British" (and none to define it) and I for one will always have a soft spot for the run-down and the eccentric.

- Richard.

Scotch Corner, June 2012

attachicon.gifDSCF7558.jpg

Run down and eccentric ?  Many of us on here fit that description.... :thankyou:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Walking over Clee yesterday evening.

At the quarry:

post-1103-0-87111700-1463488481_thumb.jpg

camera at OS grid ref SO 59902 75785

Cleeton:

post-1103-0-79590100-1463488469_thumb.jpg

camera at OS grid ref SO 61169 77509

Cleeton St. Mary:

post-1103-0-76703700-1463488457_thumb.jpg

camera at OS grid ref SO 61028 78575

On the church door:

post-1103-0-46221800-1463488902.jpg

And sure enough, inside was a table with kettle, tea, coffee, fruit juice, biscuits, cereal bars, real tea cups and saucers (not plastic) and a donations tin. I often visit country churchyards in my travels, there is always somewhere with a nice view to sit and eat my cheese sandwich. But this was the first time I have found refreshments on offer to passing visitors in a quiet country church. Thank God for a nice cup of tea.

Martin.

• Like 10

Going abroad and seeing barren landscapes like this in Lanzagrotey, makes you so glad to get back to the beautiful green of the English countryside.

post-7336-0-97937200-1463556057.jpg

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Waiting for Spring to arrive in Herefordshire. On 2nd March 2003 the spire on Edvin Loach church points the way to the radar station on Titterstone Clee.

post-1103-0-82756600-1464465920_thumb.jpg

click image for better image quality

camera at OS grid ref: SO 67153 55740

Martin.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

And now for something I like, a 54 mile tour of the Norfolk Broads, trouble is its in a sailing boat between 14ft and 40ft, 4 bridges to go under one is only 6ft high!!, round tidal rivers and broads, which can flow at up to 3mph, and you have 24hours to do it..

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk/three-rivers-race-norfolk-broads-sailing-a7061301.html
More pictures here.
http://thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/topic/10679-three-rivers-race/
http://threeriversrace.org.uk/index.php5?title=File:2016yeomanstart.jpg

http://www.horningsc.co.uk

I've just spent 24 hours on duty on one of ten guard ships round the 54 mile course of one of the toughest inland waterways races anywhere. 98 entries this year.

edit to add

The first boat home was in 8 hours 18 minutes (after handicap finishing 14th), the last in 23 hours  7 minutes (and very much last), which must have made some bad choices / badly sailed as another of the same class finished 14 hours earlier!!!

The winner was a Merlin Rocket called Quiver who finished in 10 hours 17 minutes

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3