The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Thanks, my favourite section is from Bathampton ( yes - The George) to Bradford OA. Pity they missed out the best bit, Dundas Wharf to Bradford, and the Avoncliffe Aqueduct. Happy memories, I had an engine seize on one boat between Claverton, and Dundas Wharf :sungum: .

Pic taken from the canal tow-path on Dundas Aqueduct looking south with the River Avon below, Limpley Stoke in the distance, and the exGW Bath to Salisbury line to the right.

attachicon.gifboat holiday on Rachel august o8 078.jpg

Reminds me, I must dig out my prized copy of Ivo Peters' one and only diesel book 'Railway Elegance - Western Region Trains In The English Countryside', there are numerous photos of this lovely part of the world in glorious '70s and '80s technicolour...  ;) 

• Like 3

Drove to Wells-Next-The-Sea, fresh crab from a stall by the harbour. Sat on the beach for a couple of hours. Afternoon Tea at Byfords in Holt. Ambled around Cromer seafront by way of digestion, got home around 8:30 pm

Knocks Kazakhstan's pulverising heat, bleak dusty desolation and myriad flying-and-biting things into a cocked hat.....

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I

Drove to Wells-Next-The-Sea, fresh crab from a stall by the harbour. Sat on the beach for a couple of hours. Afternoon Tea at Byfords in Holt. Ambled around Cromer seafront by way of digestion, got home around 8:30 pm

Knocks Kazakhstan's pulverising heat, bleak dusty desolation and myriad flying-and-biting things into a cocked hat.....

I'd agree with that, used to enjoy the trip out when I was back from Saudi , still do now I live just 20 ish miles away. I'm going to the Felbrigg Greenbuild show on Sunday and  probably drop by Cromer  or Sheringham on the way back.  ( One of SWMBOs craft groups is at the show) ( free entry and if you pay £1.50 for a voucher you get three big bags of Compost dropped into the boot as you drive out :no: )

I

I'd agree with that, used to enjoy the trip out when I was back from Saudi , still do now I live just 20 ish miles away. I'm going to the Felbrigg Greenbuild show on Sunday and probably drop by Cromer or Sheringham on the way back. ( One of SWMBOs craft groups is at the show) ( free entry and if you pay £1.50 for a voucher you get three big bags of Compost dropped into the boot as you drive out :no: )

How much does it cost NOT to have three bags of compost dropped in your car......? Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

How much does it cost NOT to have three bags of compost dropped in your car......?

The Cost? A lot of grief from SWMBO.!!!

Edited by TheQ

Last week me and Mrs Rivercider enjoyed a few days walking in Glorious Devon,

we had sunshine part of every day and I could have chosen any one of several dozen photos to post.

This is the estuary at Salcombe, we were on our way to the lovely NT gardens at Overbecks

post-7081-0-60813700-1473802632_thumb.jpg

edit - and in a link to the last sequence of photos we had parked at East Soar Mill car park and used the footpath

which runs across the site of the former RAF Bolt Head which hosted Spitfires and Typhoons during WWII

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 16

Just spotted these pictures :imsohappy:

Do you have any information on them?  Who were the pilots? Where were they flying from? Why did they take their dogs?  Would love to know...

Czech pilots flying from Duxford(?) per this:- click on the more tab for more info:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/536491374336200278/

Taking a dog to a dog fight is a no brainer

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

Last night we arrived back home from our tour of the north, or a weeks break in the Highlands, with stop-off halfway  2-nights there, and three back.

An attraction on Coniston Water.

post-7336-0-65248700-1474988286.jpg

Our gsd (Fudge) enjoys the view from our cabin down the Glen at Strathglass.

post-7336-0-62942800-1474988456.jpg

And my main reason to stay at a remote farm on the North York Moors on the way back. 

post-7336-0-38311000-1474988616.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Just spotted these pictures :imsohappy:

Do you have any information on them?  Who were the pilots? Where were they flying from? Why did they take their dogs?  Would love to know...

There were many cases of personnel who took  / rescued dogs as has happened during Afganistan recently.

One of the most famous during WW2, a Czech,  Robert Bozdech who had fought the Nazi invasion on his home land ( an air gunner)  escaped to France and fought there. He was shot down over the advancing German lines and while escaping and hiding in an old farm house came across an abandoned Alsation Puppy, ( he named Ant) which took to him, so he  took the dog back through the lines.

After a few more battles in France he escaped to the UK with dog and joined the air force as an air gunner again, the dog was not invited to fly but smuggled itself onto the aircraft. It was found in flight by the owner a who shared his air line with the dog to keep it alive. Later they made a dog face mask for it and it flew on board for many missions. After getting wounded on a flight it was eventually grounded, and used to sit on a mound of earth watching the runway waiting while the owner flew. They built a little hut for the dog as it would stay there in all weathers, all year round.

There is a book about the man and dog called

"The Dog Who Could Fly" by Damian Lewis

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Who-Could-Fly-Four-Legged/dp/1476739153

Its a good read.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

During a dog walk on Sunday, 5 stags, and a young buck break cover, and run on Lulworth Ranges while we were walking from East Lulworth to Arish Mell - notice the target near the top left of the pic.

post-7336-0-36175700-1476183645.jpg

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

If you want seafood in North Norfolk cookies at Salthouse is hard to beat

( Apart from some obnoxious polish waitresses sometimes) but for value is second to none

During a dog walk on Sunday, 5 stags, and a young buck break cover, and run on Lulworth Ranges while we were walking from East Lulworth to Arish Mell - notice the target near the top left of the pic.

attachicon.gif14711640_811330309007482_6540117326737107735_o.jpg

Dear are a big problem on the ranges. They get out of control. I know a few years ago the army and James's gamekeeper had to cull a few hundred.

Dear are a big problem on the ranges. They get out of control. I know a few years ago the army and James's gamekeeper had to cull a few hundred.

Not just the ranges, but other parts of Purbeck like Arne where hungry Does have been pestering walkers for food, because of overbreeding, and no predators to keep their numbers down, culling is now a regular event especially in Wareham, and Moreton Forests. I nearly had a collision with a Stag a few nights ago, driving thro' Coombe Keynes, after an evening at the Weld Arms. But unfortunately venison is still fairly expensive compared to other meats. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well old ladies are always getting in the way, culling a few hundred might make a few protests though.

The  deer I get round where I live in coastal norfolk, are getting a problem, I've hit two in this last year, and on the way to work this morning I saw one  IN Norwich.