The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Looks like its made from the moulds fot the old Norman 27.

Not related at all, the Normans were a design around the mid to late 1960'sfrom up Manchester way and the majority were narrow beam (max 8ft 6 inches) to go on the canals

The Eysians were designed and built by Applyard and Lincoln near Ely in the early 1960s  and were all wide beam at 9ft 6 inches wide.. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

29 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Not related at all, the Normans were a design around the mid to late 1960'sfrom up Manchester way and the majority were narrow beam (max 8ft 6 inches) to go on the canals

The Eysians were designed and built by Applyard and Lincoln near Ely in the early 1960s  and were all wide beam at 9ft 6 inches wide.. 

But in profile, they're remarkably similar. At least at that distance....

The Normans were made in Canal gauge (6'10") and River gauge, which would be, as you say, wider.

• Like 1

An Anthorn to Burgh by Sands circuit this morning…spot the kestrel high up looking for mice etc in the grass below.

The entrance to the former Carlisle ship canal at Port Carlisle…high tide just now.

The name of the cottage suggests that this iron bridge at Glasson wasn’t fixed pre the mid 1800s when masted ships passed through en route to Carlisle…

BeRTIe

7A8C24CF-DB3A-449E-8C28-7E203B313274.jpeg

5C40D728-D5A6-4DCD-A752-E57CBDA31173.jpeg

B4BC0F69-3810-40BF-ADCE-EC1783076CD1.jpeg

D0C4654A-0483-40F1-9455-A020251F6570.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I take it the railway line from port carlisle to carlisle was originally a canal then?

if so I didn’t know that! 

I’ll be up at the van later tonight but won’t have a bike with me unfortunately or I’d have gone out for a ride tomorrow before work  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

The variation in light quality & tone between evenings can be considerable though. 

Years ago, a friend did freelance photography for a leading US automotive magazine.  They took most of the still car photos (with the lights on) in the golden hour.

• Like 2