1980s Hornby Class 43

lefrog97

I think it's going to be difficult to get a new ringfield motor for a Class 43, they haven't been made for some time. I've got the East Kent models spares list from 6 months ago and its not listed as available. I have two suggestions - look for a second hand one on e-bay, I put in the question 'Hornby HST motor' and found one sh motor bogie and one sh chassis being sold. Another possibility is to adapt the later 5 pole enclosed motor bogie designed for the Railroad version HST. That model used the Lima HST tooling but had a new motor bogie. With other types of that Hornby enclosed motor bogie, I've successfully grafted them into the other ringfield type Hornby DMU/Diesel bogie side frames. Basically cutting off the bogie side frames from the new motor bogie as close to the sideframes as possible, then on the old style bogie frame, cut out the centre cross pieces flush to the sides and end. Trim the ends of the new motor bogie until it will make a tight fit into the old style frame and with the wheels set at the right height, glue the frames together with super glue, I use the glue supplied with a brush to get to the side extensions. On e-bay, that newer style of motor bogie is available from 'Trackside Cars' for £28

Not sure if I'm brave enough to attempt that one.. I did have the idea of using the bogie frame and a SPUD or black beetle motor bogie instead. Do you think that could work?

I've tried using the spud type which in my opinion was not sufficient to pull more than a two coach unit plus rear unit (4 in all). To coin the phrase "skin off a rice pudding".

I finally bit the bullet and bought a second hand Hornby unit as a compromise and haven't regretted it. I've made up a complete FGW set in Merlin livery, using Lima coaches which I have re-sprayed together with the power cars. Quiet, powerful and looks good, with minor alterations.

• RMweb Premium

The motor is the standard Hornby 4 wheeled bogie, used in the 25, 29, 35*, 110 and HST.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I could get a motor unit (ringfield type) for the 1980s intercity 125 hst power car?

What is the problem with your motor?

*The 35 motor frame was bushed for a longer wheelbase, this can be easily moved to the other position and in doing so shorten the wheelbase.

Ok; so hear me out on this one..

Last night I had an idea; having been researching a possible solution; I found a webpage detailing how someone modified their dead motor by removing the armature; and using an old cd drive motor in the resulting space (someone also mentioned a similar method using a lima pancake motor instead). Having seen this; I decided to see if an old Hornby 'can' motor would fit in the space. I wired it and fixed it (temporarily) in place; and it worked! The only problem was that the motor is far too big to fit in the chassis and body work.. So my question is this: does anyone know of a smaller, more powerful motor that I could substitute it for?

Well, that might be worth a go. I'm not sure whether the replies advising you to ditch it and get something else are actually what you are after - it is true that the old Hornby HST is the least accurate of the RTR models - but it isn't terrible, and if you specifically want to get it going it is very easy to do so due to the use of the highly standardised Hornby second type Ringfield motor components. These motors were in use from 1977-98 so there are thousands out there. Buying individual spares can be expensive but if the motor housing/magnet and wheels are present, everything else (armature, spur gears, retaining clip, wires etc) can be sourced from any 1980/90s (non-China) bogie diesel or electric loco/power car, or indeed the majority of tender driven Margate made Hornby steam engines. Even the six wheeled ones have the same gubbins,

I say this as someone who merrily rebuilds scrap items for my 5 year old who now has an impressive array at a fraction of the cost new - and they are much more forgiving of youngsters...

• 1 month later...

So; after weeks of searching and trying out various ideas; I eventually bit the proverbial bullet and bought a second-hand intercity power unit in executive livery; and swapped the chassis onto my existing hst body. Looks a treat; works like a charm and the price wasn't too bad either for a near-mint power car!

So; after weeks of searching and trying out various ideas; I eventually bit the proverbial bullet and bought a second-hand intercity power unit in executive livery; and swapped the chassis onto my existing hst body. Looks a treat; works like a charm and the price wasn't too bad either for a near-mint power car!

And if you flog the leftovers on ebay chances are you'll get a fair bit of what you paid back again!

Archived