CV recomendations for DCC novice

Tryfan

Hi Guys, I have a depot layout with a scenic section of just 5 feet. I have just ventured into DCC and have fitted Bachmann 8 or 21 pin decoders to my locos which are mainly Bachmann 08s, 20s, 24/25s and 44/45/46 controlled by a Gaugemaster prodigy advance 2. As it is a small layout I want to run them at realistic speeds and of course not have them shooting off the end of the layout. What values would you recommend I program for the following:

CV2 start voltage

CV3 Acceleration rate

CV4 Deceleration rate

CV5 Top voltage

Any help would be much appreciated,

David

• RMweb Gold

No experience of the Prodigy, nor of any of those locos, but there are some basic ideas you might consider.

CV2 - the whole idea is that the loco starts to move when you ask it. If your throttle allows Programming on the Main/Operations Programming, then set the loco on the track, turn the throttle to speed step 1 and slowly increase CV2 until the loco starts to move. You can then consider whether you wish to reduce CV2 again or leave it there.

CV3 - you want a slow start, because you're not going very far or very fast - but again, it's nice if the loco "wakes up" soon after you turn the knob, otherwise we have a tendency to turn it a bit further, and then the genie is out of the bottle. So try, say 20, see how that works, then adjust accordingly.

CV4 - nothing worse than a loco that won't stop! I recommend a value in CV4 that is a good bit lower than CV3, but experiment. And don't forget, if you had a value of 1 in CV4, then you could still slow the loco realistically by using the throttle gently, as depot drivers have to do all day!

CV5 - pass. I've never needed to use this, so will leave others to explain what and how.

Pretty much as Ian says, although I tend to set CV3 and CV4 to 0 as I like to control the speed rather than control what the speed will be some time in the future.

CV5 - if you want to play with this, put the loco on an oval of track, turn the throttle to maximum, and adjust the value until the loco travels at its top speed (or the fastest speed you want it to run).

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

To play with CV5 try CV6 as well - as I understand it that gives you the half way speed so set to half the value of CV5 if you want linear acceleration. If CV6 exceeds the value you are trying to programme CV5 to then that may cause problems

Have just spent heaven knows how long doing this on my new ECoS so that the speed display on the controller conforms to actual speed of loco

Cheers

Phil

Archived