Now for something completely different !

Hi,

Just for those who like something a little different.

Here is another of my RTR conversions - this one was done about seven years ago and resulted from a sudden mad thought whilst completing a batch of six class 47's in differing liveries for my fleet.

The research for this model was rather different to what we normally undertake as it involved searching the internet as usual, referring to the small amount of information and photos to be found in books and magazines and speaking to 'people in high places' from another country.

To set the scene for the model we needed to look at one of the strangest episodes in the history of the railways of Britain.

The story starts far from British Railways across the Atlantic Ocean.

In the 1950's Ferrocarriles de Cuba (Cuban State Railways) had become dieselised using standard USA built locomotives bought from the usual suppliers.

However as is well known the political situation led to an almost total end to dealings between Cuba and the USA.

As the 1960's dawned Ferrocarriles de Cuba began to suffer problems with keeping it loco fleet active due to the virtual non availability of spares from the USA.

The situation gradually became worse and eventually F de C was forced to look elsewhere to solve its traction problems.

At this time of course British Railways was in the middle of a very big dieselisation programme and the Cuban railway administration somewhat naturally looked to what was going on in the UK.

It was arranged that a deputation would come to the UK and seek the advice of British Railways and the British loco building industry.

Those who came to the UK were shown various designs then entering service and from this a suggestion was made that the Brush built 'second generation' type 4 (later known as Class 47 of course) would meet the Cuban requirements.

Discussions were then opened with Brush Traction and a firm proposal was put forward but with alterations to the loco being delivered to British Rail.

We move briefly now to British Rail itself.

Sulzer Bros., the builders of the diesel engine used in the Class 47 for British Rail had developed a more powerful slightly larger engine with a greater number of cylinders. Sulzer were keen to have this engine tested under traffic conditions and British Rail agreed to allow the engine to be fitted into a small number of type 4's for trial purposes. When later these locomotives gained a TOPS class designation they were classified as Class 48.

Although basically successful the engines did not offer any real advantage over the 'standard' class 47 as far as BR was concerned and so after several years the engines were replaced by the standard engine and the locomotives re-classified as class 47.

When the discussions with the Cuban railwaymen were undergoing it was suggested by Brush Traction that the bigger engine would better suit the Cuban need and so agreement was made for Brush to build a batch of locomotives for Ferrocarriles de Cuba.

The locomotives were to be based very closely on the British Rail class 47 including the use of the 47 bodyshell and bogies as well as having the same electrical equipment as the loco's were required very urgently due to the traction problems in Cuba.

Several alterations were made however to meet the requirements of Ferrocarriles de Cuba - although none of these modifications altered the basic class 47 outline.

These modifications included a much larger tropicalized cooler group with larger roof grilles (the Cuban loading gauge allowed this without problems), number display units (lit) on the outer cab corners in USA fashon, a large roof mounted headlight above the front windows and the fitting of 'buckeye' type couplers of the normal American automatic type in place of British side buffers.

Although these alterations did alter the look of the locomotives somewhat the locos were still very clearly a class 47 (actually a class 48 due to the engine type).

A very appealing twist in the situation is that owing to the urgency of the need in Cuba that the locomotives were actually painted in the British Railways two-tone green livery as applied to BR class 47 at the time.

With the agreement in place with Brush Traction and the order confirmed a difficult situation reared its head.

At the time Brush Traction had a large number of interests in the USA and it was felt that to construct locomotives for Cuba could, in the prevailing political climate, cause problems for Brush with the USA government.

What was done is that the locomotives were 'sub-contracted' to The Clayton Equipment Co. of Derby. This was more of a 'hiding the truth' as Clayton were actually owned by Brush at the time.

However history seems to record that this tactic was acceptable and the locomotives were built by and carried 'Clayton' builders plates - although there is reason to think that what actually happened was that 'kits' were supplied from Brush at Loughborough and simply erected at Clayton.

My researches for this model also uncovered stories of these locos being tested between Derby and Gloucester at the dead of night - as Ferrocarriles de Cuba was standard gauge there is no reason why this could not have happened. I was told that these test runs were conducted as 'out of gauge' workings under Special Operation Notices issued by Derby Control. I must add that I have been unable to confirm this testing due to the fact that many years have passed and those who might have been involved have passed away and the fact that the whole episode of building and supplying these locos was not widely publisised - although there were mentions in the British railway press at the time.

The locomotives entered service in Cuba in British Railways two-tone green livery.

After a short time in Cuba 'Ferrocarriles de Cuba' was added in upper case lettering in yellow midway along the body on the 'Sherwood green' band.

Some years later the locomotives were repainted in a deep red oxide livery and by all account gave good service to the Cuban railway.

At least one of the locomotives survived for many years after withdrawal in a scrapyard but I'm not aware whether they are all now cut up.

As I think you will agree, its a rather interesting story, and is perhaps, even more significant as it represents a very rare export of British designed locomotives - even allowing for the 'Portugese 50's' and the diesel shunters (08)  exported its still an unusual event - what a shame that today we can no longer build locos in this country at all never mind export our products.

As to my model it was the result of thinking it would be interesting to produce a model - my feeling is that as the class 47 story is a long and interesting one and does of course include the re-engineering of some to produce the class 57 so I felt that what is usually known as 'The Cuban 47's' is a valid part of that story - perhaps you might agree - I'd be interested to know.

The model is converted from a Lima class 47 with some scratchbuilding using mesh and fan grilles from Shawplan for the cooler group.

The model is DCC equipped and has working directional headlights. It has been re-motored but has yet to be re-wheeled with my own turned brass replacement wheels.

It often gets a run on my layout but without a train as we say its on pre-delivery trials and always attracts a lot of attention.

I would like to record here my grateful thanks for the help I received from a number of people when researching this model

The locomotive is known to us as 'Fidel'  -  this is an affectionate reference to the former president of Cuba and does not represent a political view in any way but simply that this model is a very interesting part of the story of the class 47 and would not have been possible had Ferrocarriles de Cuba not provided this interesting possibility.

I hope you find the photos of the model interesting - I have no idea whether another model of the class (Ferrocarriles de Cuba class T) has been built but I have great pleasure in owning this unusual model.

Regards to All.

post-10250-0-32005300-1398885059_thumb.jpg

post-10250-0-95519600-1398885062_thumb.jpg

post-10250-0-39547200-1398885069_thumb.jpg

post-10250-0-58132000-1398885074_thumb.jpg

post-10250-0-26633600-1398885078_thumb.jpg

post-10250-0-37678800-1398885080_thumb.jpg

post-10250-0-61689200-1398885082_thumb.jpg

post-10250-0-87426900-1398885085_thumb.jpg

As I think you will agree, its a rather interesting story, and is perhaps, even more significant as it represents a very rare export of British designed locomotives - even allowing for the 'Portugese 50's' and the diesel shunters (08)  exported its still an unusual event

Not that unusual at that time. Around that time Brush also built the DE4 Class for Rhodesian Railways, AEI were exporting their 'Zambesi' class to Ghana and Hunslet the Class Y shunters for Ceylon to name a few. English Electric even had a subsidiary in Australia.

I'm perfectly well aware of all of these.

Taken in the context of just how many locomotive designs have been built in Britain overall, the export of British designs was still a rare occurance was it not - therefor my observation was correct..

Also none of the ones you mention were actual British designs adapted for export - those I mentioned were.

Hi All,

Thank you for your kind comments Gentlemen - its much appreciated.

I have had many people ask me about the model at exhibitions and indeed I've known a good few who have walked away after me telling them what it is in total disbelief.

I can assure you that they really were built - photos of them exist on the internet whilst in service in Cuba - Google 'Cuban class T'.

I did think about posting this one on April the first with the story that it was to be an RTR model from a major manufacturer due to the lack of British prototypes left to model - but I thought better of it as if I had no-one would have ever believed they were real !.

Although the model was conceived originally in rather a light-hearted way it became a very interesting research project for a number of reasons and the model has proved of more interest to other modellers than I ever imagined.

Thank you again for your comments

Regards

Hi All,

Thank you for your kind comments Gentlemen - its much appreciated.

I have had many people ask me about the model at exhibitions and indeed I've known a good few who have walked away after me telling them what it is in total disbelief.

I can assure you that they really were built - photos of them exist on the internet whilst in service in Cuba - Google 'Cuban class T'.

I did think about posting this one on April the first with the story that it was to be an RTR model from a major manufacturer due to the lack of British prototypes left to model - but I thought better of it as if I had no-one would have ever believed they were real !.

Although the model was conceived originally in rather a light-hearted way it became a very interesting research project for a number of reasons and the model has proved of more interest to other modellers than I ever imagined.

Thank you again for tour comments

Regards

I'm old enough (just) to remember articles about them in Locomotives Illustrated, which was the precursor of Modern Railways. I wonder if the reluctance to allow them to be test run might be attributable to either the difficulties in providing an assisting engine should they fail (no screw couplings or buffers) or worries about upsetting the Americans by breaching their embargo. There was direct action taken by 'unknown parties' against a ship taking British-built buses to Cuba, after all... The locos would have been safe enough at Brush's works (imagine the difficulties of an American agent asking for a ticket to Loughborough), but the main line was another thing..

It's a shame really, 1st April you could of put up a photo of the real thing and advertised it as the original 57/6 with an oversize mars light!!!

Ian

Archived