Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

eChurchLanelevelcrossing(southof)312791LiverpoolSttoClacton5thMay80C5057.jpg.57c0765e4b94d352b63a4d59263811b6.jpg

Church Lane level crossing (south of) 312791 Liverpool St to Clacton 5th May 80 C5057

The ER certainly liked to hold on to their headcodes!

May 1980 is very late for the blinds to be intact, never mind actually in use. And the cl.313 & 315 even had them too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

Yesterday after tea I didn't get chance to post the fourth set of photos, so here they are now as a bonus set.  They are on the Great Eastern mainline.

eChurchLanelevelcrossing(southof)312791LiverpoolSttoClacton5thMay80C5057.jpg.57c0765e4b94d352b63a4d59263811b6.jpg

Church Lane level crossing (south of) 312791 Liverpool St to Clacton 5th May 80 C5057

Boreham47170upleJan79C4281.jpg.d0011336c7cf1afaf5d9bcf0bb04a8b9.jpg

Boreham 47170 up l e Jan 79 C4281

Boreham47069up79C4282.jpg.5f24f459a84c1c790bea6f4336f483c6.jpg

Boreham 47069 up Jan 79 C4282

BorehamClass47LiverpoolSttoNorwichFeb79C4299.jpg.1b66f098eaf5f304f2b68714ee85f75f.jpg

Boreham Class 47 Liverpool St to Norwich Feb 79 C4299

jBorehamClass312uppassdesertedA12Feb79C4300.jpg.9a4474374f099365a176cafd279a773c.jpg

Boreham Class 312 up pass deserted A12 Feb 79 C4300

David

I do remember some harsh winters growing up outside Brentwood. On a school morning my Dad would wake me earlier and tell me I needed to walk to school instead of cycle, just under three miles!

Schools seemed to stay open more in severe weather in those days, perhaps because staff lived locally. Last job I had near Shenfield the staff couldn't afford to live locally and that included me.

Great photos as always, thanks for posting.

Martyn

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an impressive selection of photo’s at Bridgnorth, on the Severn Valley Railway, in October, 1976. In the first photo’ of LMS Ivatt Class 2MT, 46521, you have taken a superb portrait shot which certainly benefits from the ground level vantage point.

The photo’s of Dudley on the ECML between Newcastle and Cramlington, on the 16th August, 2016, are a superb set, and are already of historical interest. In BSC_1193, of 43206 leading an Inverness to Kings Cross HST, at 12.50 p.m., that’s a well composed shot, and, of course, the HST’s are now gone from LNER services.

What a fantastic selection of photo’s of the Great Eastern mainline. In C4299, at Boreham, with a Class 47, on a Liverpool St to Norwich service, in February, 1979, you have taken an excellent photo’ of the train on what will have been an exceptionally cold day.

The photo’s of Pilmoor, from 1967, are a splendid set. In J0927, of Class 55, D9020, Nimbus, working the 11.00 Newcastle to Kings Cross, in June, 1967, is a beautiful photo’, which captures well the power of a Deltic hauled train. 

Finally, the photo’s of the Midland at Kegworth and around Trent, are a truly excellent selection. In C2504, at Trent, of the Railway workers cottages, in October, 1975, you have captured a superb view which shows how substantial they were designed and built.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveF said:

Some more ECML photos, this time at Pilmoor north of York in 1967.

PilmoorClass40apparentlynotD229upgoodsMay67J0882.jpg.f82631e5db82aaf7f3c9cf4469dc3812.jpg

Pilmoor Class 40 apparently not D229 up goods May 67 J0882

Might be D239, as that was a long-term Eastern Region loco. I think that it was a Gateshead loco at that time and certainly was so in 1970 and until, at least, 1972 (and still green). Latterly, it moved to Healey Mills.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s of Damdykes, just south of Cramlington and the NBR Rothbury branch from Scotsgap Junction, in September, 2023. In BSC_8237, at Damdykes, with Colas, 56049, on a down rail train from Doncaster Decoy to Millerhill, on the 8th September, 2023, you have taken a superb side on portrait shot of the 56.

The photo’s of Carlisle, in the 1980’s, are an excellent set. In C9191, of 81006, on the 27th October, 1987, you have captured a splendid side portrait of the 81.

That’s a stunning selection of photo’s of Germany at Wernigerode, with both standard gauge and the metre gauge Harzquerbahn, on the 27th July, 1991. In C16026, of 99 7232, that’s a well composed shot of the locomotive.

Finally, the photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne at South Newsham and Plessey Road (Blyth) crossing, in Northumberland, are a superb set. In the last photo’ at Plessey Road Crossing, Newsham, of 37199, reversing to Isabella exchange sidings, on the 6th April, 1985, you a splendid portrait photo’ of the 37 in a typically weathered state.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DaveF said:

Something a bit different this morning.  Three photos taken earlier this month at Damdykes, just south of Cramlington and two of the NBR Rothbury branch from Scotsgap Junction.

One shows the Fontburn viaduct, the other is captioned to try to explain it.

sBSC_8242WardsHill.jpg.ed76348f9829bc0604a1c2dc17e8cf3c.jpg

BSC_8242 Wards Hill  22nd Sept 23  This is taken looking north from the very minor road between Embleton Terrace (The Lee) to the east and nowhere in particular to the west but eventually you get to Forestburn Gate.  To the left of centre is a farm, further left and further away is a second farm.  In front of the second farm but behind the first farm is a long curving hedge.  To the right of the first farm in the centre the hedge become broken up but leads to a line of trees to the right.  This is near enough the trackbed of the branch.

There is a second line in the photo, if you look at the nearest trees then in the field beyond them left centre of the photo there is a darker coloured line in the grass running left to right.  Again this is roughly the trackbed of a branch line which went to a pit just out of shot to the right on this side of the trees.

Behind me there was a quarry which had a short stretch of line to carry stone from the working face, it was not connected to the Rothbury branch.

Almost wherever you go in Northumberland there are remains of railways and pits etc.

If you type "Forestburn Gate Morpeth"  or "Wards Hill Quarry Northumberland" into Google Earth you can bring up an aerial view which shows it clearly.

David

I find Google Maps aerial views are great way to follow old trackbeds.  There are still many scars left on the landscape by railways that closed nearly a hundred years ago.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

C9191 of the class 81 at Carlisle with the leaping salmon reminded me of a pic I've got somewhere of a class 85, similarly adorned, but also (un)officially?? named Fell Runner, circa late 70's.

Then the photo of the trackbed at Stratford on Avon: we camped there around 1982 at the Racecourse, and I was fascinated to find I could walk two trackbeds, one, double track south to the River Avon, the other, as shown.

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, David. That’s a great selection of photo’s at Market Overton, on the ex British Steel lines, during the preservation period. In J2991, of Baguley, Bass Charington No 5, on the 1st July, 1972, your Dad has taken a beautiful portrait shot of the locomotive. 

The photo’s of the Great Eastern at Manningtree, are a superb set. In the first photo’ of a Class 37, on an Ipswich to Liverpool St. service, in May, 1975, you have taken a delightful photo’, and it shows that not all trains are long, and it should fit onto most layouts.

That’s a delightful selection of black and white photo’s around the Cambridge area. In JVol1192, your Dad has taken a striking photo’ of the River Cam Bridge, with a D15, on a passenger train from Cambridge to March via St Ives, in 1948. Thank you for posting it.

Finally, that’s a fascinating set of unrelated photo’s, taken by your Dad. In J1598, at Sutton in Ashfield station, on the GNR Leen Valley extension line, in April, 1969, it’s a well composed photo’ and captures well the station with it’s platforms cut back, and unused sidings with one being lifted. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefer said:

That's a masterpiece!

Might be slightly better with the objects in silhouette but then you wouldn't see the lettering on the sign.

Spring points, semaphores and point heater gas bottles. Lovely!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

ThameGloucesterdmuOxfordtoPaddingtonAug64J161.jpg.744053367f612ef9efa449dc303564ef.jpg

Thame Gloucester dmu Oxford to Paddington Aug 64 J161

I could see immediately that wasn't Thame due to the wooden platforms and the two bridges in the background. I have done a bit of searching and come up with Islip.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.0&lat=51.82573&lon=-1.23926&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

The formation fits, so it is a Bletchley bound service from Oxford, which makes the destination blind incorrect, but then it would have been incorrect for the original caption anyway. So, it is the old L&NWR line which in the not too distant future will have a similar service restored, but probably with Milton Keynes as the initial endpoint, Cambridge still a bit up in the air like HS2 is....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Davexoc said:

I could see immediately that wasn't Thame due to the wooden platforms and the two bridges in the background. I have done a bit of searching and come up with Islip.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.0&lat=51.82573&lon=-1.23926&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

The formation fits, so it is a Bletchley bound service from Oxford, which makes the destination blind incorrect, but then it would have been incorrect for the original caption anyway. So, it is the old L&NWR line which in the not too distant future will have a similar service restored, but probably with Milton Keynes as the initial endpoint, Cambridge still a bit up in the air like HS2 is....

Thankk you very much for finding the correct location, I had a feeling it wasn't Thame but had no idea where it might have been.

David

• Friendly/supportive 2