RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

On 28/09/2023 at 17:07, DaveF said:

Bottesford20181andanoNottinghamtoSkegnessJuly81C5468.jpg.9d2a08f3386d45047b6042b445be19fa.jpg

Bottesford 20181 and ano Nottingham to Skegness July 81 C5468

According to RailGenArchive, 20 181 was paired with disc-fitted 20 047, from 7th to 20th July 1981. That was its last "Jolly Fisherman" appearance that month. It had made one earlier appearance but paired with headcode-panel equipped 20 136.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

bPrincesStreetGardens47614DundeetoEdinburgh12thApril86C7424.jpg.c6ba99566efac55c0dc5cd7d211ad13d.jpg

Princes Street Gardens 47614 Dundee to Edinburgh 12th April 86 C7424

Not sure it's a Dundee train as those weren't diagrammed for a buffet car (they didn't even have 1st class).

Also heading into Edinburgh on the Up South line, so maybe an Inverness train or Edinburgh portion of a train from the WCML?

Fife/Dundee/Aberdeen trains usually used the North lines (the two tracks on the left).

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, keefer said:

Not sure it's a Dundee train as those weren't diagrammed for a buffet car (they didn't even have 1st class).

Also heading into Edinburgh on the Up South line, so maybe an Inverness train or Edinburgh portion of a train from the WCML?

Fife/Dundee/Aberdeen trains usually used the North lines (the two tracks on the left).

While I agree with everything you've put there @keefer, one thing did suddenly spring to mind:

I've seen the odd use of a Mk1 BSOT on the Dundee sets, there were numerous variations with those but at least one had a red stripe over the first three window bays and only two bays can be seen in the photo.

Equally it could be a Mk1 RMB, but I think by April 1986, the Inverness sets were Mk2A/C with Mk2C TSOT and the few Aberdeens which weren't either ECML HST or XC LHCS workings were air-cons normally at this point AFAIR. It could even be an Aberdeen XC portion, as they had a restaurant or buffet car usually at the outer end from when the larger full sets (which usually had a Glasgow portion) were divided at Carstairs. We can only see the end of the first vehicle here, unless anyone can readily identify vehicle type from that.

Either way, unless @DaveF is certain it's a Dundee working it could be a few things.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

While I agree with everything you've put there @keefer, one thing did suddenly spring to mind:

I've seen the odd use of a Mk1 BSOT on the Dundee sets, there were numerous variations with those but at least one had a red stripe over the first three window bays and only two bays can be seen in the photo.

Equally it could be a Mk1 RMB, but I think by April 1986, the Inverness sets were Mk2A/C with Mk2C TSOT and the few Aberdeens which weren't either ECML HST or XC LHCS workings were air-cons normally at this point AFAIR. It could even be an Aberdeen XC portion, as they had a restaurant or buffet car usually at the outer end from when the larger full sets (which usually had a Glasgow portion) were divided at Carstairs. We can only see the end of the first vehicle here, unless anyone can readily identify vehicle type from that.

Either way, unless @DaveF is certain it's a Dundee working it could be a few things.

Based on the presence of water pipes running towards roof tanks in the centre of the vehicle, I suspect the red banded coach is a buffet restaurant car

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I've been to two model railway exhibitions today so the second batch are a bit late.

They were taken at York in 1965 and 1966

YorkK162026leAug65J218.jpg.f73c320bc2ffb0d0badddee1a2fb2c33.jpg

York K1 62026 le Aug 65 J218

YorkLMSClass443035downlightengineAug65J240.jpg.f476a8ec1f9e407e4b6c26d21f73332c.jpg

York LMS Class 4 43035 down light engine Aug 65 J240

YorkClass55D9017DurhamLightInfantryKingsXtoNewcastleandClass110ecsOct66J671.jpg.6507aa349359ba0c538a845ba8f4da19.jpg

York Class 55 D9017 Durham Light Infantry Kings X to Newcastle and Class 110 ecs Oct 66 J671

YorkDec66Class47KingsXtoNewcastleandClass104Dec66J706.jpg.4ae6f7ac6545472a7a548aa8790ae160.jpg

York Dec 66  Class 47 (not visible) Kings X to Newcastle and Class 104 Dec 66 J706

YorkDec66Class104Dec66J709.jpg.a5ddb9d5d59ec6de71100243e2bd5c58.jpg

York  Class 104 Dec 66 J709

David

As a native ‘Yorkie’, I enjoyed seeing these pictures - even though I was only two years old in 1966!  I don’t remember seeing steam but I will have done when travelling with my parents.  

The last photo showing the evening sun (?) shining under the station roof is beautifully lit. Of particular interest is the fascinating rake of mostly pre nationalisation vans in platform 3. This was typical of York until the late 1970s. 

The picture of the Deltic running into platform 9 reveals how filthy even this premier class of locomotives would be allowed to become - I bet this was a Gateshead loco. By the way the DMU in the centre road is a class 104 unit whereas the DMU in platform 8S in the fourth picture is a class 110 - Calder valley high power set incorporating a 4-character headcode box

Edited by coronach
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, coronach said:

The picture of the Deltic running into platform 9 reveals how filthy even this premier class of locomotives would be allowed to become - I bet this was a Gateshead loco. By the way the DMU in the centre road is a class 104 unit whereas the DMU in platform 8S in the fourth picture is a class 110 - Calder valley high power set incorporating a 4-character headcode box

Many thanks for the note about the dmus - one day I'll get them right!

David

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Thanks for those early KWVR shots Dave, so many memories there for me as we visited frequently back then. Looks like the bunker of the N2 in front of Sir Berkeley maybe?

I am pretty sure it is the N2.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s from Scotland, at Edinburgh Princes Street Gardens and Haymarket. I particularly like C7429, at Princes Street Gardens, with 47629, on a Edinburgh to Dundee service, on the 12th April, 1986.

The photo’s of York, from 1965 and 1966, are a most nostalgic selection. They show York just as I remember it. In particular, that first one of K1, 62026, on what is a freight train, in August, 1965, could be of special interest since it could well be coming from Market Weighton. K1’s were used on the Market Weighton pick up.

Well, that’s a delightful set of of black and white photo’s of Wollaton, taken by your Dad. In particular, JVol2227, of Jubilee 45659, Drake, on a down express passenger train, in c1952, is a classic and so well composed.

So, finally, the photo’s of Beattock and Lockerbie are a great selection. The first one at Lockerbie, with 87028, on an up express, in March, 1981, is well composed and it appears to be a Mklll catering car in the formation.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Luke Piewalker said:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cscPAUf8hPaiir2h6

That's the best candidate I could find. The motorway being built has changed things a bit though.

Can confirm Lockerbie is definitely Lockerbie.

I think that must be it but it looks very different.  I can't see where else it can br along the line.

Many thanks,

David

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, coronach said:

Based on the presence of water pipes running towards roof tanks in the centre of the vehicle, I suspect the red banded coach is a buffet restaurant car

I think it is an RMB, showing the two-bay end i.e. just to the right will be the two half-height windows (opposite the buffet counter). The other end of the coach has the toilets. Note also the normal second class seating.

A BSOT will have a half-width window between the door and first seating bay.

An RBR doesn't have end vestibule doors.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, keefer said:

8 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Didn't Perth/Inverness trains run via Ladybank at that time, so more likely to use the North lines?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Didn't Perth/Inverness trains run via Ladybank at that time, so more likely to use the North lines?

I did wonder about this but assumed that by this time, the l/h trains went via Stirling especially when they became push-pull.

Leaving Perth-Edinburgh via Ladybank to DMUs?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, keefer said:

I did wonder about this but assumed that by this time, the l/h trains went via Stirling especially when they became push-pull.

Leaving Perth-Edinburgh via Ladybank to DMUs?

RailUKforums suggests that you are right:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/edinburgh-to-inverness-forth-bridge.213273/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Via Stirling became the usual route from the 1982 timetable, though one service each way used the Ladybank route until the May 1986 timetable when they then all went via Stirling until that all changed again when the Express Sprinter timetable was introduced on the Highland Main Line when Ladybank became the normal route again for all Edinburgh/Inverness trains except the Highland Chieftain to/from London, which continued to run via Stirling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, keefer said:

I think it is an RMB, showing the two-bay end i.e. just to the right will be the two half-height windows (opposite the buffet counter). The other end of the coach has the toilets. Note also the normal second class seating.

A BSOT will have a half-width window between the door and first seating bay.

An RBR doesn't have end vestibule doors.

I'd forgotten about the former toilet window on the BSOT. Could still be the XC Aberdeen, I've seen a few photos with RMB rather than RBR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Luke Piewalker said:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cscPAUf8hPaiir2h6

That's the best candidate I could find. The motorway being built has changed things a bit though.

Can confirm Lockerbie is definitely Lockerbie.

18 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think that must be it but it looks very different.  I can't see where else it can br along the line.

Many thanks,

David

Not realising anyone had already looked for the location I did my own bit this morning and found the same location and thought that looks like it, it's the rising road beyond the bridge that I think confirms it, the A74 has then affected all the surroundings since.

image.png.27952241e4cab05841211e71ed74ec24.png

Edited by woodenhead
removed duplicated image
  • Like 6