Athearn Genesis SD70ACe

Donny4472

Finally a week or so ago the official announcement of the release ultimate US Locomotive in HO.

http://www.athearn.c...2010_POSTER.pdf

I know MTH have had the market on these sewn up for a while now, but that could change come Septemberish. These look awesome.

The SD70ACe saving fund is under way. Gotta get a couple of these with Sountraxx Tsunami. cool.gif

Donny

Finally a week or so ago the official announcement of the release ultimate US Locomotive in HO.

http://www.athearn.c...2010_POSTER.pdf

I know MTH have had the market on these sewn up for a while now, but that could change come Septemberish. These look awesome.

The SD70ACe saving fund is under way. Gotta get a couple of these with Sountraxx Tsunami. cool.gif

Donny

ACK! No MRL on this run....

M-a-y-b-e I can excuse a BNSF one..... :D

-Rob

• RMweb Gold

Must....resist...screaming...eagle....

wink.gif

I tried that line myself, but I already know its not going to work. Tsunami in it too, mmmm!!!

Interestingly MTH are doing one DCC ready which they announced days after Athearn released these details. Interesting 'head to head' ahead!

Hopefully the D&RGW and 'Miss Katy' will be along next year!

I tried that line myself, but I already know its not going to work. Tsunami in it too, mmmm!!!

Interestingly MTH are doing one DCC ready which they announced days after Athearn released these details. Interesting 'head to head' ahead!

Hopefully the D&RGW and 'Miss Katy' will be along next year!

MTH is already out, personally I am waiting for the athearn, with the soundtraxx, it ca not get much better

Interestingly MTH are doing one DCC ready which they announced days after Athearn released these details

MTH is already out

If i'm reading that right the key part of the line is "DCC ready" - as in with just an 8 pin socket for DCC.

Their attitude when they originally hit the market was "buy our the bells & whistles semi-DCC-compatible version or go away" - so reality & market forces affecting their marketing strategy I think! :)

• RMweb Gold

Correct Glorious NSE. The initial MTH releases were with their own 'DCS' system instead of DCC and with sound only. Wihile it could be operated on DCC systems, some functionality such as advanced consosting was not available. I dont think this was met with much favour in the States. Now there is one coming out DCC ready to take on Athearn's new release.

I was tempted by the MTH release but I'm glad I've played the waiting game!

IIRC Tower 55 had these catalogued but never delivered them - T55 had Gevo's (ES44DC/ES44AC) for sale though, something else for Athearn's "to do" list! :)

intermountain is doing the ES44AC/DC this might delay athearn.

I've been looking at a MTH SD70 in Katy livery on e-bay but I'm not sure about the sound unit from what has been said on this site and others it has it's problems is that right :huh:

For a pick-apart review of a Norfolk Southern MTH SD70M-2, see http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58145

The MTH DCS decoder is proprietary and pretty crippled with DCC - http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/Page?template=dcc-sound has a link to a pdf file describing it. There's also been a couple of reports of gearing issues with the MTH engines : http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58348

The models are too modern for me. I'd like to have the demonstrator unit (I sort of collect demos) but I'm not certain I want to support MTH and their way of doing business. I dunno...

intermountain is doing the ES44AC/DC this might delay athearn.

The Intermountain models are availably with Soundtraxx Tsunami sound too.. Supposedly they will be available March / April.

Think i need to get some overtime booked in. unsure.gif

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking at a MTH SD70 in Katy livery on e-bay but I'm not sure about the sound unit from what has been said on this site and others it has it's problems is that right huh.gif

If you dont mind the toy like radio chatter "looks like its gona be a grrrreat sunny day on the railroad" and other such nonsense and motor control CV's that you cant control, leading to a model that jumps straight to 10mph from a start, then the MTH is the loco to have.

Personaly, I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole and Im even more glad now that I played the waiting game.

Its also interesting to note that alot of American owners of the MTH effort have been ripping out the boards from these models and fitting them with Tsunami's blink.gif , I wonder why wink.gif

Ive heard that Soundtraxx has made the sounds especialy for this model. If its anything like their previous offerings, should be the best there is.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone got hold of an Athearn SD70Ace with sound yet?

Are they any good, better than the MTH?

1- due to arrive in the UK around the 17th according to LSWR

2- yes they will be good detail wise seeing the pics of the model. Athearn mechs and soundtraxx electronics are both pretty reliable in my experience so they should beat the Mth there. I think the comments on US forums about replacing mth boards with soundtraxx are telling as mth still hasn't caught on that many want realisim over gimmicks in sound. Limiting control over the cv's was also crippling as many of us opted to wait confident in Athearn s ability to still go ahead and produce a quality product. Athearn realised their original Mrc decoders were poor and upgraded to soundtraxx and are now reaping the reward for that move.

Has anyone got hold of an Athearn SD70Ace with sound yet?

Are they any good, better than the MTH?

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. BNSF livery. I've not had a lot of time to play about with it, but the sound is superb. Detail wise it's as good as anything in the Genesis range. I've got and MTH DCC Ready Miss Katy, so can't compare sound, but i'd say the Genesis model just edges the MTH one for quality of finish etc. The running quality of both models is fantastic though.

Once i get home from work i'll spend more time with the model

Cheers

Ian D

If only the UP hadn't painted the front half barfy Rock Island bankruptcy blue. Sigh. The Katy and WP ones are really cool.

Dave, say what you mean, why don't ya? :D :D

I must admit from an aesthetic point, I really do like the Katy livery :)

Really nice looking model - must resist!

-Rob

Archived