Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Magazines as digital editions?

Being in the US, I buy digital editions of issues of BRM, MR, and the Hornby magazine that have content I want. They are available to read on a PC. When I looked at Model Rail magazine's website, it is only offered for iPhone and iPads (though a Android version is due soon).

I have a kindle, which I love, for book reading, but not so much for larger things, such as reference books, and 'How To' type books. Case in point, I bought the Kindle edition of George Dent's 'Kit Building For Railway Modellers'. Having to keep zooming in and out, and other finger dances, to read it and study the photos was a bother. I went ahead and bought the book as well as volume 2, in hard copy.

Today, I downloaded the app, so I could try reading the magazine issues I already have, on the Kindle. Same result, a lot of finger dancing just to read them.

For myself, I will stick with the PC versions, but wonder how popular the phone and pad editions are?

(and will just skip reading Model rail)

And I want to but a tablet for? I mean, just to read one railway modelling magazine? :)

I can already read the others quite well on my PC. My only reason for trying it on my Kindle was to see what it was like.

I can imagine though, for those with a pad, it would be easier than a smaller phone, or a Kindle.

I live in Africa and ordinary overseas magazine subscriptions are very expensive. We are also blessed with a dodgy postal system so digital subscriptions are a no brainer for me.

I can get three digital subscriptions for the same price as one overseas ordinary magazine subscription. There is also the space saving aspect, there were large piles of magazines to be stored.

I like the ability to zoom in to enlarge pictures and text.

I am not fond of the Railway Modeller digital set up as it is difficult to 'keep' digital copies of their magazines if you discontinue subscribing and change your digital device.

Regards

Veronica.

• RMweb Premium

I experimented by downloading an edition of Railway Modeller onto my iPad. I wax quite impressed , although I still like buying the magazine. The single biggest difference I found was that I could actually read the adverts by making them large on the IPad. Struggle to read them in the magazine these days!

I've found my iPad Air indispensable since falling ill and although I suffer from clumsy fingers when rating posts, I take it on holiday and make sure that the establishment has a wi-fi connection. SWMBO loves to face time the children!

I took the Apps for the main newspapers which tend to say they are free but then catch you on the second edition you download! Disposed of those right away as the more important ones have free internet editions which contain the same news as the paper. Sadly this doesn't work with the railway mags but the savings over the normal subscriptions do outweigh the disadvantages and I've come to like the zoom facility as I now wear reading specs. Each to their own as they say!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Although just a few answers, I think they may be a good indication that those who want mobility might be the prime users. I tend to take books when I go anywhere, and for that, my kindle suffices. I prefer to read magazines, news, modelling books, etc.., at home. But for those who do take such things along, the iPad/tablets fit the bill nicely.

The space savings is something is a plus, even for myself. I'm into working in a less popular scale, and a less popular era and railway, so I wouldn't be buying each and every issue, anyway, but still nice I don't have to use up shelf space.

So, having 3 out of 4 of the mainstream magazines available is not bad. And agreeing with trisonc, I most likely won't be around, if and when MRJ ever goes digital. :)

Jim

Archived