Hi folks  having purchased a nice cheap GEM 56xx  part completed kit  from flea bay only problem is its missing the trailing truck and wheel

my question is ......  What  and where  can i get this wheel / axle  from  I have contacted GEM  for the trailing truck

Cheers Nigel

The radial truck wheels are 3'8", 10-spoke, which you can buy from Alan Gibson Workshop.

As for the truck / axle carrier itself, I'm not sure that's available as a spare. However, if you want to make a proper radial truck, then London Road Models produce an etch which can be built in OO, EM or P4.

Hi folks  having purchased a nice cheap GEM 56xx  part completed kit  from flea bay only problem is its missing the trailing truck and wheel

my question is ......  What  and where  can i get this wheel / axle  from  I have contacted GEM  for the trailing truck

Cheers Nigel

Hi,

This kit builds into a particularly inaccurate 'model' of a 56xx - with the far superior Bachmann version available I cant help asking is it worth the effort to end up with a poorly detailed (no rivets etc.) locomotive that will never stand comparison with a modern model?.

Regards

Hi,

This kit builds into a particularly inaccurate 'model' of a 56xx - with the far superior Bachmann version available I cant help asking is it worth the effort to end up with a poorly detailed (no rivets etc.) locomotive that will never stand comparison with a modern model?.

Regards

How does this help him?  If you don't have the info he needs then why butt in just to say - "Ha, ha, you've wasted your money"  What are you the Nelson Muntz of RMWeb?

How does this help him?  If you don't have the info he needs then why butt in just to say - "Ha, ha, you've wasted your money"  What are you the Nelson Muntz of RMWeb?

Asking a perfectly valid question that's all - and offering information in case the modeller concerned didn't realise just how poor the kit is.

If he was really stuck for sorting out the radial truck I could even offer to make him one in my workshop - I'm well aware of how the kit is intended to portray the rear truck, having built several (now replaced) over the years - I often help fellow modellers making use of my facilities - its a pleasure and I don't expect anything for doing it.

I wasn't suggesting he'd wasted his money - if he wants to build the kit then I hope it turns out well and he is pleased with the result - after all its his to enjoy.

I think a lot of modellers would have asked that question in this day and age.

I would suggest your post is of even less value to the OP.

Edited by TheWeatheringMan
  • Like 1

Cheers Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Just to confirm what I said in my previous post - if you are really stuck the offer to make up a truck assembly (following the original Gem idea) is there if you need it.

Regards

Jon

I agree with you.

There are some like myself that actually prefer, firstly the enjoyment of actually building a kit, then seeing it run and also the nearer scale weight that a whitemetal loco has over a modern plastic one. Anyone with a few pounds in their pocket can buy a RTR loco, far fewer have the skill and ability to turn a kit into a working model

No doubt you run your accurate scale models on fully chaired track in 4 mm scale with the correct sleeper width, or do you run it on RTR H0 track? Don't mean to be rude but some of us like the  modelling side of the hobby and settle for old kit faults, as most others do by buying their under scale ready to run track for their highly detailed models

Edited by hayfield

Jon

There are some like myself that actually prefer, firstly the enjoyment of actually building a kit, then seeing it run and also the nearer scale weight that a whitemetal loco has over a modern plastic one. Anyone with a few pounds in their pocket can buy a RTR loco, far fewer have the skill and ability to turn a kit into a working model

No doubt you run your accurate scale models on fully chaired track in 4 mm scale with the correct sleeper width, or do you run it on RTR H0 track? Don't mean to be rude but some of us like the  modelling side of the hobby and settle for old kit faults, as most others do by buying their under scale ready to run track for their highly detailed models

I don't know why you are diercting that at me.  The OP was asking for a source for the pony truck and the response he got was that building it would be a waste of his time when he could buy a better model RTR.  I simply was pointing out that this was not that helpful a reply.  TheWeathingMan's later reply was obviously much more helpful compared to his first which came across to me as very off-puting.

Jon

Sorry I was agreeing with you (have added additional text). I am one of those who like the modelling side and for all their faults I like the older whitemetal kits. As do it seems a lot of other people. This GEM kit has not been around for some time so will in time be harder to obtain, likewise the Nucast range being discontinued is affecting prices of K's etc kits that were taken into their range.

I do see that Weatherman has kindly offered his assistance, and if it helps nigelb I do have a GEM instruction sheet (for what its worth) which I can copy and send him. Just to echo my first reply the kit was designed to go on an adapted Triang/Hornby Jinty chassis, a brass bar whit was fastened to the chassis was attached to a whitemetal casting which held the wheels.

Sorry for any offence

guys  guys        i got the kit for  £5.00  and £3.50  postage  just cos it was cheap  it will be used on the grandsons  layout in the garage  so cheap is good  accurate  is optional lol

I do have the instructions and am  able to fabricate  bits  i am considering  making the radial  truck as  it should be   will just have to see i will post  some pics  when i get home  ( and motivated)

thanks to you all for your  input   guys

Jon

Sorry I was agreeing with you (have added additional text). I am one of those who like the modelling side and for all their faults I like the older whitemetal kits. As do it seems a lot of other people. This GEM kit has not been around for some time so will in time be harder to obtain, likewise the Nucast range being discontinued is affecting prices of K's etc kits that were taken into their range.

I do see that Weatherman has kindly offered his assistance, and if it helps nigelb I do have a GEM instruction sheet (for what its worth) which I can copy and send him. Just to echo my first reply the kit was designed to go on an adapted Triang/Hornby Jinty chassis, a brass bar whit was fastened to the chassis was attached to a whitemetal casting which held the wheels.

Sorry for any offence

Hi,

I just thought that i'd also clarify something in case anyone gets the wrong idea about my modelling.

I have been active in the hobby for 56 years now.

I work in OO on both hand built track (copperclad sleepers) and Peco code 100 and code 70.

I run RTR, detail and repaint RTR, build kits (both etched brass and whitemetal - including older kits -I have a Gem 'Cardean' and 'Gladstone' to start soon) and scratchbuild -I have a GWR 'Kruger' 2-6-0 underway.

I turn my own brass replacement fine scale wheels for Lima diesels and re motor them using a motor I've found a source off.

I etch my own detailing parts having designed them on one of my pc's and printed the artwork for etching including GWR type name and numberplates.

I cast my own resin parts and intend to buy a metal casting machine next year.

I have a fully equipped workshop including lathe and milling machine.

I have one complete layout -a 1960's Western Region branch line (Spelsbury).

I am building a large WR and SR joint terminus layout for completion next year (Milchester).

I will shortly be starting a new layout based on the Somerset and Dorset line in its last years (Shilingminster).

and lastly the best layout of all:

Sodor  -  yes a Thomas the Tank Engine (including 'Underground Ernie') layout making use of Peco track and the Hornby 'Thomas' locos.

All are exhibition layouts. PM me if you might be interested for your exhibition.

Yes I'm what might be called an experienced modeller but I've never lost sights of my roots or the fact that many modellers like me still enjoy the kits etc. from older days - and long may we all continue to do so.

Regards

Edited by TheWeatheringMan

I think it was a 12mm Romford plan axle wheel which went in the radial truck.

As its the grandsons layout id assume its going around fairly tight radius, so its worth putting a slither of plasticard on the inside of the bunker section to prevent the wheels coming into contact with the body and shorting out occurring

I have one made up which thunders around fairly happily and makes an impressive looking site, a second is awaiting building so I can have a double header excursion with some GWR coaches. 

Good luck with the project

• 3 years later...

Comet models do a pony truck etch, instructions were just an exploded diagram with a few notes. Might be worth buying a new etched chassis Highlevel, Comet or Perseverance of Southeastern Finecast do an etched replacement Jinty chassis (add a Comet pony truck etch)

• RMweb Gold

having just bought a cheap completed kit from ebay,I find its minus the pony truck and instruction sheet can any one helps please be very grateful

I don't have the instructions, but I do I have a spare pony truck from the Gem kit. It's designed to fit the Triang chassis block which I think needs to be slightly

modified to fit the white metal body. Drop me a PM if you'd like the pony truck.