Well that scuppers our new model.

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

Time for a new sub-forum?

Do you know the thought had crossed my mind - I'll start a new topic in it with some more up to date pictures of my work in progress layout if it comes to pass!!

I reckon that quite a few of us would welcome this - even if some of us aren't in a position to produce our own Lego models.

OK - some finescale purists might not be frequent visitors to a sub-forum devoted to "L Gauge". If that's the case, then it's their loss.

I prefer to take inspiration from wherever it can be found - and this stuff strikes me as very inspirational.

It undoubtedly also involves a lot of work - a lot of working out - and a lot of skill.

Regards,

Huw.

Modelling is a broad church (for most of us) and a Lego train is completely acceptable form.

Can't be doing with those Meccano oddballs though, trains, tracks and bridges made from bits of metal bolted together and motorised, what's that all about :)

Thanks all for the supportive comments.  I think the suggestion of a forum dedicated to the pursuit of model trains using Lego is a good idea.  One more step towards achieving the recognition and legitimacy so deserved by many great modellers.  :)

As a sampler of what I mean by Lego "railway modelling", please see as follows...

10980251673_8b3d804043_z.jpg

11119339745_dd0cb874f7_z.jpg

9287830673_8f81c468f6_z.jpg

Gorgeous work, Michael! Your photos do a lot more justice to your efforts!

-Jason

Thanks Jason, much appreciated!

The CN Turbo might just be my next prototype challenge ;) Can you recommend a good source for some overall line drawings for basic dimensions and proportions?

p.s. Your new avatar is reassuring; at least you're not an insufferable leafs fan! ;)

The thing that amazes me is that not only are the trains instantly recognisable and superb renditions, is that the same applies for the other models too - I visited the website and realised the bus was not just generic, but recognised it as a 'National' even before I read the caption. The same applied to the Yellow BR van, instantly recognisable as a Mk1 transit. Thats some achievement in lego!

• RMweb Premium

Those models beat the 'professional' ones at Legoland IMO; much more defined and recognisable...excellent craftsmanship.

I used to dabble in Lego trains many moons ago and still have a large bucket-full of the stuff - if this continues I might have to clear the living room floor and have a go again!!

David

Archived