Well that scuppers our new model.

rapidotrains

Is this p4?

Believe it or not there are the same issues with Lego trains. The ones the company make are 6 studs wide, but they are a bit narrow for the track gauge. US Lego builders tend to use 8 studs wide, UK Lego builders either accept the inaccuracy of 6 wide or go for 7 wide (the UK loading gauge being so much smaller). Working with odd numbers brings its own challenges, a bit like P4 ;-)

What worries me is that we may enjoy this more than the scale model .I mean it looks huge fun .Play with in the garden on an almost sunny day ,run it across the carpet in imagination mode.Let the cat chase it .Instead we will be ripping Jasons shiny new product to shreds .Pontificating on the fact it doesnt fit in the time scale of someones unscenicked plank ,moaning about a P4version  not being available (I assume LOL) etc.

It is me!  I've just registered to RMWeb just to respond!  In reality I should have registered years ago, since I regularly peruse these forums.  

Thanks for your kind words Jason.  RapidoTrains is an exciting and progressive model train manufacturer.  The quality of your products and clever/entertaining marketing add a sense of fun to commercial side of the hobby!

As an FYI to folks reading this, I am also a "scale" railway modeller; specifically British Rail Southern Region (1970s-80s) in 4 mm (OO gauge--formerly EM gauge).  I have a very robust collection of models both RTR and kit/scratch built, e.g. EMUs made from brass sides/whitemetal ends.  And I also have a modest collection of Canadian prototype models as well.  

Sadly to most folks who read these forums, I have slowly migrated away from the scale fraternity into the Lego train community--more broadly the AFOL (Adult Fans Of Lego) community.  It is a great deal of fun, it is shared activity with my kids, and it resonates hugely with the public.  The Lego brand does have this "halo" effect (whether deserved or not) when I share my hobby with family/friends/the public--their reactions (rightly or wrongly) are different compared to sharing my efforts in scale model trains.  In any case, my attitude is that I am still a railway modeller--I attempt to bring the same sensibility of recreating the prototype with as much fidelity as the medium and my skills will allow.  I am also attempting to bring some of the technological advances and benefits from scale model trains to Lego.  For example, I am fitting most of my Lego models with DCC sound and custom lighting--this requires a good deal of effort and fortunately I have a background in electronics which helps.  The layout is completely computer controlled via MERG C-Bus and JMRI software.  I have working colour light signals and turnouts operated by Tortoise switch machines.  Also, I have built bespoke tables/baseboards to semi-permanently mount the Lego baseplates, track, etc. to the baseboards.  These baseboards are designed to be modular and transportable.  I have attended two public shows with them so far, and the layout has been very well received by not only the general public, but also railway modellers too.  They recognize that fundamentally, my layout is *entirely* scratch built; the scenery, buildings, and moreover the rolling stock are all custom scratch built creations.  Lego does make train sets, but they are generic models targeted to children.  There are no kits or commercial sources for prototype Lego trains, nor (sadly) are there "cottage/3rd party" suppliers for items such as better track, motors, kits, control-systems, etc.  Lego trains as a hobby does not enjoy the same level of legitimacy as their scale model train peers.  Perhaps it due to perception, sole-source vendor syndrome, or simply no one has been commercially brave enough to enter the fray.  I think there is demand for complementary products to the Lego train hobby, but it would be very difficult to assess how robust that demand really is.  Anecdotally, I have been asked on many occasions if I would sell my creations either as instructions or complete kits/sets.  I always have to say no because I simply don't have the time or resources to commit to rendering my creations into commercially viable offerings.  It would have to be a premium product, and more likely fuelled by pre-oreder commitments.  I know that some folks make an ok living selling custom Lego kits in the military themes--customers don't think twice buying a $300-400 Lego model tank for example.

Sorry to go off topic, but I'd just thought it would be nice to chime in.  I very much look forward to Jason's new commercial offering in the British model train scene--if his Canadian models are anything to judge by--we should all be very excited since we can expect a high quality model with obvious (fanatical?) commitment to prototype fidelity! 

Welcome to the forum!  I must say your lego models are fantastic and not something that I have the dedication to achieve.

Lego do make models of prototype trains aimed at adults, Currently you can buy a lego TGV (aka Horizon Express), and in the past models of the Santa Fe Super Chief (F-series + 5 cars) GP-38's, and a steam loco recognisably derived from the Flying Scotsman (Emerald Night) to name a few.  However these were generally available without track or motors so not train set as such.  I must say I was a little cautious as to what reaction I might get when admitting to modelling in lego, possibly expecting a little sarcasm but so far it seems a lot more positive than I expected.  It might be a bit of a niche, but it takes all sorts and I like to be different!

Archived