Trolleybuses

Had a daft thought the other day.

As the overhead wiring is similar to 2 rail DC model railways there must be a few insulated sections where a location has a reversing loop or a triangular junction.  Otherwise a short circuit would occur.

Reversing Triangle

http://www.trolleybus.net/subhtml/picture66.htm

Nice diagram for both

http://www.rotherhamtrolleybus.org.uk/articles.php?Article=23

Answering my own Q looks like wiring for each side of the road - so runs like an oval line.

post-9506-0-99979300-1400619090_thumb.jpg

This was taken in San Francisco in October 2012 during the MUNI 100 celebrations where the preserves Trackless Trolley (Trolley Bus) i was traveling on dropped a pole!  You can clearly see the insulated sections here and it worth remembering where lines cross their are a minimum of 4 dead sections

XF

• RMweb Premium

A couple of notes on XF's picture:

The curved wire through the frog is continuous while the straight wire is interrupted and jumpered over the top.

Trolley bus curves had curve segments in them which seem to be metal strips rather than wires. Sort of visible in the switch if you know to look.

Trailing frogs were just that -- castings with a guide for the shoe.

Facing frogs were switched. In the picture, the other wire has a switch with 2 lumps on the wires.(visible between the coach roof and the poles) These were staggered so that when the bus was turning the poles were not opposite each other (paralellogram) and made contact with the two contacts (!!) at the same time. This caused the switch to flick over. As the shoe trailed around the curve, it met a projection on the casting and knocked it straight again.

I have a book that diagrams where a bus should make its turns so that the poles are best positioned to turn the switch.

N.A. trolley poles have ropes going to a sort of window blind mechanism that pulls the pole down if it rises too fast. The rope is then used to put the show back on the wire. Unlike streetcars, the show can rotate, making it a bit harder to re-wire.

Aside: one of my friends had a student job a conductor on an English trolley bus system. One Sunday they dewired at the far end of the line. It was the conductor's responsibility to have the hook for the pole in its slot; guess what wasn't there. They had to wait for the following bus.

............. It was the conductor's responsibility to have the hook for the pole in its slot; guess what wasn't there. They had to wait for the following bus.

My father used to drive for Rotherham Corporation and had many stories to tell, not least of which was the substitution of a short piece of bamboo for the original full length pole. A cursory check would reveal that everything appeared to be ok, that is until you drew out the pole fully.

Hi All,

I remember many years ago in the days of the National Bus Company when I was involved in research into liveries - mainly railways but our brief included bus company's too - and I was looking into matters at the then Reading Corporation Transport, during a very interesting conversation with a former trolleybus driver he (I suspect slightly tongue in cheek) told me of what he called 'the prime rule of trolleybus driving :

'NEVER but NEVER overtake the one in front'   !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the posters photo of the SF trolley reminded me of the conversation.

What a missed opportunity our trolleybus systems were - in to days world they'd be highly regarded on so many points.

Regards All

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I remember many years ago in the days of the National Bus Company when I was involved in research into liveries - mainly railways but our brief included bus company's too - and I was looking into matters at the then Reading Corporation Transport, during a very interesting conversation with a former trolleybus driver he (I suspect slightly tongue in cheek) told me of what he called 'the prime rule of trolleybus driving :

'NEVER but NEVER overtake the one in front'   !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the posters photo of the SF trolley reminded me of the conversation.

What a missed opportunity our trolleybus systems were - in to days world they'd be highly regarded on so many points.

Regards All

I was told the reason for the wartime white bullseye on the rear of London motor buses was so that trolleybus drivers would know that it was safe to overtake them in the blackout. Having witnessed one trolleybus trying to overtake another all I can say is that it can give quite a fireworks display.

I was told the reason for the wartime white bullseye on the rear of London motor buses was so that trolleybus drivers would know that it was safe to overtake them in the blackout. Having witnessed one trolleybus trying to overtake another all I can say is that it can give quite a fireworks display.

Hi,

Many thanks for that.

Now you mention it I do have very distant recollection of having read that about the white bullseye (circle?) being for that reason.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

My father used to drive for Rotherham Corporation and had many stories to tell, not least of which was the substitution of a short piece of bamboo for the original full length pole. A cursory check would reveal that everything appeared to be ok, that is until you drew out the pole fully.

Sadly I must report that my wife's uncle Alfred Jones ex tram/ trolley bus/ bus driver of Rotherham Corporation, died about fortnight ago and. Will be cremated at Rotherham crematorium approx 10:15 27th May 2014

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gif776's Trolley Poles de-wired and came down on a turning edt.jpg

This was taken in San Francisco in October 2012 during the MUNI 100 celebrations where the preserves Trackless Trolley (Trolley Bus) i was traveling on dropped a pole!

Oh ! how I remember such things ..... but in Cardiff.

As a 'nipper' I lived close to where the last two Cardiff routes (10A and 10B) diverged/converged, at the junction of Cowbridge Road West and Grand Avenue, from where the frequency of 'trollies' into town obviously doubled..

If one stood outside "Bobbies" (properly known as The Pendine Stores) long enough, a 10A coming from town turning right to go 'up the avenue' would lose a pole.

Cue chaos as the trolley, travelling at slow speed would coast a very short distance then stop across the junction - with the clippy jumping off the platform and drawing out the long bamboo pole from beneath the trolley, waving it around like an oversized wand trying to firstly catch the errant pole then hooking it back onto the wire.

Not being electrically minded, so I don't know why, I was once told that one pole always had to be connected to the wire first i.e. they had to be connected in order.

My memories include the tragic death of a young lad, who rode his bike out of Heol-y-Felin into the path of a speeding trolley, and leaving my breakfast on the top deck of another as it came to a stop outside 'the Angel' in Westgate Street.

Whether it was a young boys imagination, but the Cardiff trollies always gave the impression of being larger than their contemporary busses.

Brian R

Cardiff.

• RMweb Premium

The Cardiff ones were all built to low bridge height, which to me made them look more massive. I am ignoring the single deckers here!

They were built to a low profile not to low bridge style in which the upstairs aisle was sunken on the offside.

Both real and model trolley bus overhead wiring must conform to the same wiring precautions as 2-rail model trains.

But in the model case, it sure isn't easy, as the typical model trolley wire hangers for single wire streetcar operation are metal and intended to be soldered to the cross span wires.

Andy

Bournemouth adopted a different solution, with a turntable at Christchurch.

Bill

When  as  a  young boy  we  went  to  Bournemouth  on  Hols,  the  Christchurch  turntable  was  one  of  the  fortnights  highlights!!!!!

Along  with  the  train  journey  through the  night  from manchester  Central  via Bath  to  Bournemouth!!

I occasionally  rode  Manchesters  Trolley  Buses,   Ashton -u-Lyne  &  Hyde  Gee  Cross routes  and  can  clearly  remember  their  rapid  acceleration  and  high  speed  on  the  straight  ( and  empty) stretches of  road

The Cardiff ones were all built to low bridge height, which to me made them look more massive. I am ignoring the single deckers here!

True, but when Trolleybuses replaced Trams in the 40's or 50's the road under the Taff Vale railway bridges in Queen Street had to be lowered to accommodate them!

Still remember the Cardiff Trolleybuses with affection.

Was on a Trolley at the start of the 60's when it went into the back of a schoolboy cyclist outside Mackross department store - The lad was ok but the bike ended up with a square back wheel and the trolley was dented.

The Oakdale Press book on Cardiff Trolleybuses is a good read.

Cheers,

Dave

Memories are made of this.......

Brian R

Brian,

Fitzalan Technical High School, when in Howard Gardens didn't have any games pitches so it was a 10A 0r B to Ely Racecourse (Rugby) or a No 4? to Llandaff Fields for cricket - I see the turning circle still exists at Llandaff but now seems to be used for car parking for the fields.

Missed you on Monday,

Cheers,

Dave

Archived