Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

State of Origin model challenge

G'day all,

As some of you are no doubt aware, every year there is a three-game series of NRL between New South Wales and Queensland. For the last 8 series, Queensland has won. It has gotten to the point that even railway modellers have started feeling pretty confident. Therefore, QRModeller and myself have agreed to a challenge, that whoever's team and state wins, the loser has to build a model from that states railway system (so if NSW win, he has to build a NSW kit and visa-versa).

The only limit is that the item cannot be RTR, and the time limit for the challenge is the day before the beginning of the 2015 series.

Until the end of the series though, it's time to sit back and see who comes out victorious.

So, let the best state win!

It can be any of those, as QLD railways run on 3' 6" track, and there is plenty of 2' up there as well.

The challenge was originally to be a wagon, but I feel that by opening it up it'll allow many more ideas to be pursued.

• RMweb Premium

Being mischeievous , does the range of permitted subjects include trams? 4'8.5" in both states I think

Or indeed the subject could contain an item on the standard gauge link between the NSW border & Brisbane. But then I suspect, we're being spoilsports!

:rtfm:

Being mischeievous , does the range of permitted subjects include trams? 4'8.5" in both states I think

It can, although I don't know QRModellers stance on this. The Sydney Tramway Museum is just a couple of minutes from me, and they have a few Brisbane trams, so it's not hard for me to knock one up.

As to something that runs/ran between Sydney and Brisbane, I suppose I could get away with a Motorail wagon from the Gold Coast Motorail.....

I guess it could, although when I initially suggested the challenge last year I only had the state railway systems in mind.

Or indeed the subject could contain an item on the standard gauge link between the NSW border & Brisbane. But then I suspect, we're being spoilsports!

:rtfm:

Well if QLD win, I could suggest a model of one of the QR 2800 Class locos that have had their bogies exchanged for standard gauge ones, but that's probably asking too much, and locos weren't part of the original rules we'd agreed on.

In any case, 69843 has an idea of what he's going to build in a few weeks anyway!  :P

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, better get this over with!

Managed to get down to the Gold Coast show yesterday and picked up my 'prize' for losing the challenge

post-11907-0-45172100-1405335680_thumb.jpg

post-11907-0-79695500-1405335688_thumb.jpg

It's an AR Kits FWH/NGBF wheat hopper which should look something like this (just without the graffiti) when I'm finished with it.

I'll detail its construction on my blog and post the finished article back here once it's done.

With a bit of luck, that's the last time I'll have to do one of these posts!  :blum:

Matt.

Archived