Falcon in 7mm

steve fay

I've just put mine back in the box after a weekend of gazing at it adoringly!

In doing so I managed to knock off the "Falcon" name on one side - easily refixed with a bit of varnish - but a word to the wise that this can be done with handling.

To those of us used to modern RTR in 4mm, the issues of handling and servicing with bits coming off are very familiar, and indeed in my view quite unavoidable given the fineness of detail, but I can see why those without this background might feel a little put out.

On the strength of the quality of Falcon, I have ordered a Warship - hopefully it won't turn up too soon to allow me to get the piggy bank in order!

John.

Been admiring my blue and yellow version.

Care definitely needs to be taken whilst handling these weighty models.

Whilst mine had arrived from Tower Models completely intact by pure chance I noticed a fuel tank area foot rung or similar had become detached and was staring up at me from the carpet !

A DP2 in '0' gauge would be great

Edited by DLIBOD17

Further to my earlier post after e-mailing and talking to Tower and the spare parts agent Howes of Oxford, Tower are arranging to replace my BR Blue Falcon this Friday due to the number of issues. Therefore I cannot fault them for customer service, hope replacement is defect free.

Edited by Valleysniper
  • Like 1

All the best. Good service from Tower, keep us informed?

Well the replacement Falcon from Tower arrived today and they took the other one back. It managed to survive 'White Van Delivery Man' with only one buffer block and one bogie angle bracket found loose in the box. I took super care again in removing Loco from box placing a soft pillow over the loco then inverting it carefully.

This is far superior example and the bits will be easily glued back on.

So cannot fault Towers customer service.

Heljan should in my opinion leave off all the 'vunerable' detail parts and let customer fit, particulary all the buffer beam pipework.

My Lime green example arrived safely from Tower with no damage at all. Loco needs careful removal from box as lamp irons are tight against the packing. ( I have shaved a little off ) Now fitted with sound, rear lights are  switchable via CVs rather than the under body switch and the cab lights are independently switched to. Tried a loksound 4L not man enough needs the XL  IMHO. A very heavy model even by Heljan Standards.

After a futile couple of hours at Kettering where first my, and then Steve's phone had no signal, we did manage to meet up and I took delivery of my banger blue Falcon. At last!!

it's been a long wait, and well worth my repeated pleas to various manufacturers...and despite a certain large retailer of Heljan stuff insisting they would NEVER do it as it would NEVER sell!

The model is awesome and well worth  what I paid. Thanks to Steve Fay.

My Lime green example arrived safely from Tower with no damage at all. Loco needs careful removal from box as lamp irons are tight against the packing. ( I have shaved a little off ) Now fitted with sound, rear lights are  switchable via CVs rather than the under body switch and the cab lights are independently switched to. Tried a loksound 4L not man enough needs the XL  IMHO. A very heavy model even by Heljan Standards.

Who does the sound chip, please? Is it specifically for 7mm?

Hi,

Coastal DCC supplied my chip has a nice touch whereby rear lights are switched out (Aux 1 and Aux 2) by one function switch and Aux 3 forward and Aux 4 reverse are switched by another.

Cheers Jeff, good to see you again.

Brian at Howes does a chip suitable. There was one on display today complete with sound.

Thanks again

Steve

Damn, where was that? i couldn't even find Howes or SWD.

How easy/difficult is it to chip for sound?

Edited by JeffP

John Edwards had one on display next to Warren Heywood. I've not chipped mine yet but with the V4 XL decoder it is easier as the chip has screw terminals. I'm sure some one will post a diagram up soon.

The 4XL chip fits nicely as the mounting holes match with those that are used to hold the circuit board which is removed. The speaker housing area is designed to fit the 40mm speaker and housing, it being held in place by the fixing screws. Only problem I had was having to move the fan circuit board to one end as it fouled the 4 XL (not a problem really as there was sufficient wire to allow for this). The fan operates at a reasonable speed and relatively quietly all round well done Heljan 

Edited by MiDAS

John Edwards had one on display next to Warren Heywood. I've not chipped mine yet but with the V4 XL decoder it is easier as the chip has screw terminals. I'm sure some one will post a diagram up soon.

I saw that, but it wasn't running, and nothing to say it was sound equipped, so I just looked and passed on.

I have my Falcon and it is delightful model, It is the best release from Heljan to date?

The three liveries,  according to Class47 website, there were four. The lime greenchestnut  was originally two tone lime and dark green.  The dark green areas  were overpainted with chestnut brown.

Also suggestions that the lime green /chestnut brown acquired small yellow warning panels for a very short time before a full repaint in two tone green.

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_feature_424.php

(click on liveries tab)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55919985@N06/5643178258

(lime/green /chestnut with yellow warning panels)

Edited by Pandora

Yes, they could have done that one. I did mention it at the time.

There is no strong photographic evidence to suggest that the original livery was two tone green apart from an image in bad lighting conditions that was once available through Colour-Rail.

We have images of Falcon as it left the Brush Works on delivery and this shows the livery was definitely lime green and brown with orange highlights.I know it was never repaired by BR and therefore run in service in this form. This has been confirmed by ex.Brush employee's who have endorsed this.

It was produced with a small yellow panel in OO form because there was sufficient demand for a re-run in blue and green liveries to warrant a extra version. There had already been two versions of the original livery with both the painted and etched Falcon crest.

There is no strong photographic evidence to suggest that the original livery was two tone green apart from an image in bad lighting conditions that was once available through Colour-Rail.

We have images of Falcon as it left the Brush Works on delivery and this shows the livery was definitely lime green and brown with orange highlights.I know it was never repaired by BR and therefore run in service in this form. This has been confirmed by ex.Brush employee's who have endorsed this.

It was produced with a small yellow panel in OO form because there was sufficient demand for a re-run in blue and green liveries to warrant a extra version. There had already been two versions of the original livery with both the painted and etched Falcon crest.

If the Class 47 website is checked, the gallery and write up shows Falcon in all over light (lime) green including the cab side window area with   only the  "solebar" in a darker green, later the cabside and solebars were in darker green,  then those two darker areas were painted in  the well known chestnut

Edited by Pandora

The explanation of a B&W print or negative which has been  hand-coloured makes sense. colouring of B&W prints is a well known technique in photography.

Ladybird Book of British railway Locomotives,  does anyone still  have a copy? (from my childhood ) I recall a good number of the shots in the book  had a "hand coloured look about them

Edited by Pandora

To add to my confusion, the lime green example reviewed in Hornby Magazine,  it may be the as-built by Brush,  ie all over green  with just the solebar in the darker green.  Not the same finish as the production version lime green / chestnut

The attached image is what FKI /Brush allowed Heljan to use from their archive. This is how Falcon originally left the factory and this image was taken prior to dispatch for the first time. Now confusingly there is an image in the Brush Falcon brochure which was produced at the same time which shows Falcon in two shades of green but this is a black & white image which has been 'coloured in' by an artist so cannot be taken as a true colour variation. I have not seen as yet, and I have many, a convincing image showing the locomotive originally had dark green relief where the chestnut brown has been applied. Agreed in poor light conditions the chestnut brown has a slight green tinge to it but from the original colour charts used, as far as we know and have been advised by Brush, Falcon originally only had one livery.

The livery depicted in the Hornby magazine review is of course its second livery applied after being sold to BR by Brush in 1965.

post-4697-0-25817300-1457953233.jpg

• Like 2