Falcon in 7mm

steve fay

My Falcon orders arrived today.

Glad to say there is no damage to them after the trouble with the Class 60's.

It seems the interior of the box has been re-designed with a harder foam which does not allow any movement compared to the previous locos from Heljan.

Got to say all three liveries look superb. I wasn't going to keep one for myself as it doesn't fit in with my modelling era, but I am sorely tempted!!!

Regards

Chris

Edited by North Eastern

When they were planning it, it was pointed out to them, by someone through Brian, that the painted on plate wasn't good enough and that even etched plates were a bit 2D.

They have responded with the superb offering you see.

These are the etched plates I bought to spur me on when I thought I was going to have to scratch-build:

post-13196-0-45268800-1456310402_thumb.jpg

The etched works plates will be used. They have the correct works number etc.

Checking a model over today before a customer collects and one of the locating screws was sticking out about 10mm it looks as though it's been forced in at an angle and it's stripped the thread it won't go in or out.

I've seen this sort of thing quite a lot with Hornby & Bachmann models I think it must be the electric screw drivers are a bit to harsh!

So that's one that has to go back luckily I have a few spare as I got sent to many!!

Other than that it's a fantastic model.

• RMweb Premium

I have just checked my model over tonight and have that one of the windscreen wipers is missing. :scratchhead: :O

I have contacted the seller to see if he can send a replacement wiper (Drivers Side) can be sent to me rather than send the hole thing back to them for a replacement model.

All I have to do is find someone who has an DC O gauge layout to track test the model.

Terry. 

My Brunswick Green one has just arrived from Blackpool, and a huge thanks to all who've made this fabulous model possible!

There is a small bag of spare detail parts, a very sensible and welcome item, although nothing appears in fact to be missing. I assume we are meant to fit the central lamp brackets ourselves as these would be too vulnerable in transit.

One handrail and an underframe bracket were loose in the box, quite trivial to refit, but worth taking care when opening that any similar items aren't lost.

For myself the nameplates as supplied and fitted appear quite satisfactory, although some folk no doubt will choose to fit something else.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Can't wait for Kettering. Mine, a blue one, will get etched works plates too.

Now.......will I be able to bring myself to weather it? I want it to look like it did circa 1973 at Ebbw Junction shed.

attachicon.gifDiesels 70's and 80's829.jpg

The only photo of falcon I ever took, out of use at EJ shed, February 1974. I had gone on a Dalescroft Railfans tour to south Wales, a real "find every 08" tour. We rolled up at EJ at dusk, I had 1.5 shots left, and a very basic 35mm camera.

The tour ended at Severn Tunnel Junction, in pitch dark...someone had a flashlight, someone had a lighter. It had begun at Aberbeeg on a freezing road at 4.30am.

Those were the days.

Steve: does the blue one have the correct data plate and Ebbw Junction shedplates?

Haha, I remember the Dalescroft trips, and indeed did a couple similar but I think in 1971 and 1972. I've never seen Aberbeeg in the daylight, just several times at night as everyone shone torches down from the road to try to get the numbers of the '37's. Presumably there is no point going there now.

Don't think the loco is out of use in the pic Jeff, as the headcode box is lit up, and in fact it can't have been too long after Falcon arrived there for the last phase of its life. It always seemed about in those years when I did trips down there, either on 86B, or trundling along with some wagons, and looking increasingly careworn.

I remember in the early nineties talking to a chap at the preserved Loughborough GCR, who'd worked at Brush. He told me that when Falcon was finally withdrawn Brush offered to buy it back and donate it free to the GC in full working order, no doubt with maintenance backup, but the GC turned them down flat saying they didn't want diesels. Maybe someone can dispute or corroborate this?

Coming back to Dalescroft, I stopped doing British shed trips in the mid '70's. Fast forward to 2010 and a tour of the eastern Ukraine, and who should be on the trip but Mr Fickes himself, bubbly as ever, but not as the organiser rather as a participant. Despite the years we just about remembered each other, and had some great chats about those amazing coach tours. Alas I don't think we or any one else will be going back to the war torn cities of Donetsk, Lugansk or Slavyansk anytime soon if ever!

Apologies for these meanderings!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

I only went on one Dalescroft, when at college in Nottingham, February 1974.

The bus driver had the patience of a saint, winding his way round Cardiff docks looking for elusive shunters. And this was, of course, pre satnav.

Great day out, but I got myself dropped off at the junction of the A52 and the Nottingham Ring Road near Wollaton Hall, to make it easier for them NOT to have to go back through the city centre.

Long walk back from there to Clifton, at 2am.

I used to love the monthly mags with shed visits, all neatly listed class by class, and usually tagged with something like, "With 47086 passing".

• Like 1

I'm new here, been lurking for a while now.

Have about 5 Heljan RTR O gauge locos now.

My BR Blue Falcon arrived from Tower Friday but only yesterday did I manage to get it out of the box to examine. Disappointed to find that part of front pipework one side sheared off and loose in box, 4 sand box tubes missing, 1 bogie end angle bracket missing and one looks like been re-glued back on badly at wrong angle. There are also glue 'string marks' on front buffer beam apron. One head code box glass looks 'frosted' on one side. There also looks like a lot of dust and crud inside cab windows. All the body to frame screws were loose and as soon as I gently tightened them the paint flakes off around the screw hole area. Finally half of the bogie bottom gear cover screws were loose. These are things you do not expect for a model that costs £550.00. I think it was a bad idea to pre fit all the buffer beam pipework and vunerable bogie bits, they should in my opinion been left for owner to fit. There is though thoughtfully provided in box a packet containing some of affected parts. I will contact Tower Monday re issues.

Apart from all above negatives model looks impressive and it crossed my mind whether to also get a Two Tone Green one as well, however I don't think 'Err indoors' would be to happy. Besides have the Class 42 Heljan Warship on order and I also want to get the JLTRT NBL Warship kit as I remember climbing all over D601 Ark Royal as a kid at Barry scrapyard.

Edited by Valleysniper

• RMweb Premium

I have just checked my model over tonight and have that one of the windscreen wipers is missing. :scratchhead: :O

I have contacted the seller to see if he can send a replacement wiper (Drivers Side) can be sent to me rather than send the hole thing back to them for a replacement model.

All I have to do is find someone who has an DC O gauge layout to track test the model.

Terry.

I contacted the seller of my model and has advised me that the replacement part required will be posted this coming week.

I contacted the seller of my model and has advised me that the replacement part required will be posted this coming week.

There are replacements in the small plastic bag.Unfortunately no Sanding Pipes though and mine has 3 missing. Disappointed to also find that part of front pipework one end sheared off and loose in box. Mind you Tower have always been brilliant about replacement spares.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1