Falcon in 7mm

steve fay

I also have a blue one ordered.

Since the bird plaque is iconic, (the Brush works in Loughborough is called the "Falcon Works" and used to have a Falcon statue on top of it), http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/images/Trams/BrushFalconStatue.jpg

Heljan could do well to produce a decent representation. The real one is in the NRM, so easy enough to access?

I wouldn't even mind losing out on the price of my plates, if theirs was 3-D.

Don't worry Jeff I am really pushing for a decent nameplate and as you say it's what makes this loco so interesting I think. It just has to be one of the most iconic nameplate made hence the price it went for at auction. We have some photo shoots in mind that I hope will make a nice picture.

• Like 1

My thanks to you yet again Brian, I'm sure that quite a lot of praise is due to you for getting this done at all.

I might even bring you a nice bottle of wine to Telford to say thanks.

Brian: are the worksplates Severn Mill? Can we see them please?

With the right background, that b&w shot is real.......

lancer: Falcon made it to Plymouth at least once, but I'm unsure about Penzance. Modeller's license: deputising at short notice for yet another failed Warship? LOL.

Edited by JeffP

Well it looks like Falcon to me.

So how long before we get the it's windows are 0.05mm to small, the front left hand grill has 10 slats when it should have 11 Etc. Etc. Yawn.

For a first preproduction go it looks the part.

OzzyO.

I've just been looking at some photos of Falcon in chocolate & lime flavour colour and in two out of the three photos show her with no makers plates,

post-8920-0-99947000-1423596939.jpg

post-8920-0-93841000-1423596922.jpg

Then with with plates,

post-8920-0-74187500-1423596962_thumb.jpg

About all I can think of is that the plates weren't fitted until she went out onto B.R. metals.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

Also in the above photos in the first one she has the transfer Falcon, with the name Falcon across the wingspan and in the bottom one she has the cast Falcon with the nameplate below it. When you look at it Falcons nameplate was not up to much!

post-8920-0-43336600-1423601997.jpg

Now where did I put my coat and hawking gloves,

OzzyO.

Brian, a question if you can not see the roof to see the boiler exhaust how do you know what end you are looking at?

In all the photos that I can see the works plates they have always been at the front of the loco on the left hand side, I don't have a photo showing it at the R/H end of the loco.

When I've looked at the top and bottom photos above I think it shows the same side, as when you look at the roof behind the rear cab you can see an exhaust port of some kind just in front of the second set of vents on the body side.

Or have I only got photos showing one side of the loco?

OzzyO. 

I can't see anything on the body that gives the end away apart from the boiler exhaust.

These pictures show the worksplate at the right-hand end and no boiler exhaust on the middle of the roof.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, these two photos are fascinating for the colour and condition of the roof.

The top one in colour shows the green wrapping round the cantrail up to the roof panels, which are dark, light & dark. This looks to be the loco in "as new" condition, probably at Finsbury Park, with Falcon transfer not plate, and the scheme used by Heljan for their OO model. I'd always wondered if the dark panels were just dirty and hadn't been cleaned, but hardly so on a new loco and why clean the centre part in that case.

In the lower shot, although in B&W, the previously dark roof panel at the far end is now light (but not the nearest one), and I suspect the roof is otherwise a pale cream down to the top of the bodysides - a feature that can be inferred from other colour shots. The Falcon is now a plate, not transfer, so a later shot, but still obviously on the Eastern.

So something happened - apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is the same picture that Heljan sent out as a press release, glad to see you are paying attention.

I am painting a spare body that they sent into BR green as I just can't wait to see it this livery. It will have a couple of bits missing though but should still give use a nice idea of a complete model that we will get later.

Edited by brian daniels