The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Those interested in APTs (P, rather than E in this case, though other items might interest), I took some photos today of the APT-P powercar at the ERM, along with a former hastings unit that has tilting modifcations.

That's Lab 4 'Hastings' that we used to test the APT-P non-articulated bogies.

They were called H4Xs and predated the BT12s on the P-Train. 'Hastings' is owned by the APT-E Support and Conservation Group but it needs LOTS of money and work to restore it as Hastings Diesels rather neglected it when they had it. Currently almost all the work on it has been done by Shane, Wolf27, on here, and he's done a super job on it. 

Here's 'Hastings' in her RTC days.

SZiHlL.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3

Having read your original post a few times just to make sure

You state you have full directional lighting in DC mode is this correct ?

The lights only play up when you fit the decoder  again is this correct ?

If I could ask what DCC system are you using

Cheers

stuart

Thanks for replying Stuart

Yes, works ok on DC. I've got a Hattons decoder and using a Digitrax Zephyr controller and yes, the lights are not working correctly on DCC.

Mark

Thanks for replying Stuart

Yes, works ok on DC. I've got a Hattons decoder and using a Digitrax Zephyr controller and yes, the lights are not working correctly on DCC.

Mark

Always happy to help

Do you have another 21 pin decoder to hand that isn`t a cheapo one

Yes, I adjusted the powercar back to backs after derailing on the same set of point. Took the wheels out and squeezed then so they were hard against the plastic spacer. Seems to have resolved the issue.

Cheers

Shane

I had the opposite problem - mine are too tight for Peco Code 75 points and for my back-to-back gauge. When the train comes out of its box again, I shall adjust the wheels. It's only a problem with the driven bogies at the ends.

The only other one i have is a Bachmann type 21 pin decoder.

Is that giving you the same problem as the hattons one

Just trying to find some info about the digitrax Zephyr to see if your problem lies outside the decoder

Is that giving you the same problem as the hattons one

Just trying to find some info about the digitrax Zephyr to see if your problem lies outside the decoder

Thanks, yes the lights still don't work properly using that one either.

Thanks, yes the lights still don't work properly using that one either.

Right next question then lol

Shame there isn`t some form of chat window on here to make things quicker

Are the decoders brand new un-used or have they come from and been used in other loco`s

Edit: I`ll send you a PM

Edited by tgvfan

Well, I've had a chance to play with mine.

I noticed on TC1 there was a bit of light leaking along the bodyside.  On close inspection it appears that the upper body is not correctly fitted into the lower over its central section, the upper is proud by almost a mm.  Not much I know, but it shows.

The "Do Not Pass Go" booklet says that refitting the body is not easy, mine does not respond to a (moderately) firm squeeze.

Any ideas?

Yes but please remember this is not a business and are not experienced in commerce but are doing this to give us a fantastic model to help raise funds to preserve these prototypes to refer to to replicate in model form.

There is no reason to not order a one off never available again model just because it was not posted in preferred order.

Yes I understand that, but Rapid Trains are a business entering a new market so you would think they would have come up with a better solution for logistics to make a good impression. I never said that I wouldn't order from them again, I certainly however won't rush out in the first 48 hours to put down the order/deposit either though. I'll definitely order the prototype HST, but I'll go into it knowing there is no advantage to putting the order in early..

Yes I understand that, but Rapid Trains are a business entering a new market so you would think they would have come up with a better solution for logistics to make a good impression. I never said that I wouldn't order from them again, I certainly however won't rush out in the first 48 hours to put down the order/deposit either though. I'll definitely order the prototype HST, but I'll go into it knowing there is no advantage to putting the order in early..

Rapido aren't the ones doing the marketing and logistics, that's all handled by Locomotion Models, so you're aiming at the wrong target. 

• Like 1

Well, I've had a chance to play with mine.

I noticed on TC1 there was a bit of light leaking along the bodyside.  On close inspection it appears that the upper body is not correctly fitted into the lower over its central section, the upper is proud by almost a mm.  Not much I know, but it shows.

The "Do Not Pass Go" booklet says that refitting the body is not easy, mine does not respond to a (moderately) firm squeeze.

Any ideas?

Try taking the top half of the body shell off and re-fitting it.

If you take both bogies off and then insert your thumbnail into the gap at the Joint Module end you can lever the sides out and then slide your nail along the body it will unclip. You'll probably need to do both sides separately and then the whole thing comes off. Re-align it and press down and in and it should go back on again, I've done it to my TC2 about half a dozen times at my local club,  just to show them the insides.  :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt

I model mostly US protoytype and I use an NMRA gauge to check that my wheels are in gauge, this gives an indirect BTB measurement .

post-28417-0-58064700-1460250353_thumb.jpg

I have found older peco points were made to a coarser scale standard (probably so that old Triang wheels would run through the points)

These points can cause derailments on NMRA standard rolling stock

Many moons ago I read that this could be fixed by shimming the catch rail.(I would credit the author if I could remember who it was)

Unmodified points can work OK most of the time but when they cause derailments I shim them with thin plastic strip (5 or 10 thou usually works)

You should be able to see the shim glued to catch rail on the running rail side

post-28417-0-54465200-1460250316_thumb.jpg

In this exaggerated drawing of what happens with the red catch rail to far from the running rail, the flange goes to the wrong side of the pointy part of the frog an a derailment is inevitable

The wheels on the right hand side are held away from the frog by the green shim and the flange misses the frog and stays on track

post-28417-0-18013400-1460250386.jpg

If the BTB is correct an it still derails then it may be the points.

John

I dunno, you wait years for a model to come out, then a difference of a few days between someone else getting one and yourself is a problem... (*)

Perhaps they could have borrowed that Routemaster Bus that Jason and Bill drove in Crewe, and drive around the country delivering them by hand...? I'm sure I read somewhere that REx hired a couple of students and a Van to do that one summer.

*I was the same way as track laying progress has been delayed whilst waiting for some RailCrew uncoupling magnets, they arrived last week and I've spent no more than five minutes checking they fit in the pre-drilled holes...

Edited by 298

Is it too late to order one or by ? i would really like to own one

:locomotive:

You would have to contact Locomotion so they could take your details in case they have any left if someone who'd reserved one has cancelled it.

Hi, forgive me if i can't see for looking, i've just paid the balance for my sound version, but i cant see the option to purchase the extra trailing car ( i did select one at pre-ordering), any help pointing me in a probably obvious direction would be welcome,

thanks

Darren

• RMweb Premium

IC82 has hot a great review video on YouTube. I haven't ordered one and it's still not my thing, but I enjoyed the excitement of him opening the box , assembling it and watching it run. I can see how you would get satisfaction owning something like that. The sound functions are superb, although I can imagine it eventually getting on your nerves. But I particularly like the illuminated interior of the coaches, they really look good . Looks like a really great model , the way it all comes together looks like an ingenious piece of design.

What would you suggest as a better solution to the logistics?

How much will your solution cost?

How are the costs going to be met?

Oh and hiring in a dozen people for a couple of weeks is a non starter unless you are happy for your new models to be used as football's!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, forgive me if i can't see for looking, i've just paid the balance for my sound version, but i cant see the option to purchase the extra trailing car ( i did select one at pre-ordering), any help pointing me in a probably obvious direction would be welcome,

thanks

Darren

Darren if you selected an extra trailer car at ordering then you have already paid for it so it should be included in your parcel. Edited by Colin_McLeod

Rapido aren't the ones doing the marketing and logistics, that's all handled by Locomotion Models, so you're aiming at the wrong target. 

I think you missed my point. Locomotion Models are partners in this first effort by Rapido Trains in the UK market. So you would think they would have made sure the resources were there to provide a good customer experience. I'm not aiming at any targets, I'm just raising a valid point so that maybe Rapido Trains and Locomotion Models can fix the problem the next time around.

As far as I'm concerned, Locomotion Models have provided a good customer experience. I paid a deposit to reserve a model yet to be built, then paid the balance when it was nearly ready, waited a bit, and it arrived. It was well packed for delivery and arrived entirely undamaged. I haven't actually had a chance to run it yet, so I'm assuming there will be no problems and I'm not going to need after-sales support, but comments on here from the few people who have had issues suggest that this has been handled well enough.

There isn't really anything more that I could justifiably have wanted. I didn't pay extra for express delivery. Nor, indeed, was that even an option. "It will arrive when it arrives" is, therefore, all that I could reasonably expect.

Nor does it bother me that some people got theirs before I did. Having worked in online retail, I am well aware that the dispatch process is the most time-consuming element. The only way that Locomotion could have arranged for everyone to get them all at approximately the same time was to pack them and label them all first, and only hand them over to UPS when they'd done them all. But that wouldn't have made it faster for anyone. On the contrary, it would have delayed everybody's parcel to the date of the last one being ready!

• Like 2