RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

OK, so there appears to be no wording to suggest freedom for additional runs. It definitely says 'Limited Edition', and has a numbering for limitation. I think that if that were taken to a court by a purchaser to complain if/when an additional production run was done, they'd have a case of some kind (though I'm no legal eagle so wouldn't swear to that) based on either trades description or false advertising legislation.

The only way an additional run could be done would perhaps be like the prototype Deltic, where changes were made to the model in either condition or presentation so that each could be argued to be a different product.

Edited by Ian J.

There will always be rumblings of discontent. Even if they had given the thing away and delivered it to everyone remotely interested in model railways personally with a free ice cream, someone would be on here moaning they didn't get a flake...

There has been news in all the model railway mags from the first announcement onwards. The people moaning are likely to be those who decided to wait until the model appeared before buying. I'm afraid that those who got one were the the people who looked at the track record and took a chance. For everyone else there is eBay.

• Like 2

There will always be rumblings of discontent. Even if they had given the thing away and delivered it to everyone remotely interested in model railways personally with a free ice cream, someone would be on here moaning they didn't get a flake...

There has been news in all the model railway mags from the first announcement onwards. The people moaning are likely to be those who decided to wait until the model appeared before buying. I'm afraid that those who got one were the the people who looked at the track record and took a chance. For everyone else there is eBay.

What Phil said.

ALL the magazines had oodles of news items about the model just after we'd had the 3D scan event at Shildon.

If anyone missed it they can't be all that keen a modeller as they obviously don't take any of the magazines.............

And how many times has the RTC stablemate 97201 "EXPERIMENT" been produced since Rail Express first did it...? And this was in an era when Lima limited editions of 500 often outnumbered the production totals of regular catalogue editions.

I know some people don't like a pre-ordering system, but then again the era of walking into your local model shop and seeing a Model on display in a glass case (as I remember with the Hornby APT) are long departed too. If something is of interest and affordable at the time of purchase (certainly Vs the cost of scratchbuilding one to that standard or paying someone else to do so), then you buy it without worrying about future values. Unless you're one of those Collector type persons...

• Like 1

I'm afraid that those who got one were the the people who looked at the track record and took a chance.

I agree with all except this bit - it was not a chance, it was pretty much a certainty!!!

• RMweb Premium

Please remember that for some of us, not getting one wasn't because we didn't want one, but because our funds have been curtailed.

What Phil said.

ALL the magazines had oodles of news items about the model just after we'd had the 3D scan event at Shildon.

If anyone missed it they can't be all that keen a modeller as they obviously don't take any of the magazines.............

Nor connected to the internet.

Or talk to anyone else in the hobby/club etc.

I was assembling the APT on a large club layout and two of their members (operating the layout) asked me if it was a new Hornby one.

I think it's fair to say that not everyone in the hobby keeps as up to date as most of us do; but they do lose the right to say they weren't told though. ;)

I'm the only member of the Gloucester club who has an APT-E model, and probably the only member who's all that interested in having one too, this being GWR country and anything without a copper capped chimney just doesn't count.  :D

But everyone in the club knew it was happening and were very interested in how it was being designed, built and sold too, all of which were breaking new ground in the hobby in the UK. 

[Hmm, I wonder if I should re-paint the exhausts on my E-Train with Humbrol Copper paint?  :D ]

Edited by Mr_Tilt

I wonder how many of those looking longingly at the model now would actually buy one? How many have seen it and now think "That would be nice" but when faced with the cost, would find something else to buy instead. Anyone who couldn't afford one with over a year to save up, probably can't now either.

As I say, there is always eBay. Prices are crazy at the moment but will settle down in a month or so.

And modellers will ALWAYS grumble. Can you imagine how quiet RMweb would be if they didn't?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK, so there appears to be no wording to suggest freedom for additional runs. It definitely says 'Limited Edition', and has a numbering for limitation. I think that if that were taken to a court by a purchaser to complain if/when an additional production run was done, they'd have a case of some kind (though I'm no legal eagle so wouldn't swear to that) based on either trades description or false advertising legislation.

The only way an additional run could be done would perhaps be like the prototype Deltic, where changes were made to the model in either condition or presentation so that each could be argued to be a different product.

Sorry Ian - there is nothing in there that restricts the NRM/Locomotion from doing another run.  That certificate just certifies that the purchaser got x out of 2000 made for that production. There is nothing to say that another run couldn't be done.

As I said, Locomotion and Rapido were very clear that it was being produced to order (it is little more than coincidence that 2000 were produced) but not that production would be limited to a finite amount. The certificate is just a nice additional gesture nothing more.

• RMweb Premium

I believe the words 'Limited Edition' have meaning in law, so that could be a defining factor. However, I'm not a legal eagle, as I said, so can't be sure of that one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I got the feeling the production quantity was less than 2000, because someone wrote here (much earlier) that DC (DCC-ready) models got odd-numbered certificates and DCC/sound fitted models got even-numbered certificates. If the total run was exactly 2,000 then this implies exactly 1,000 of each, which sounds unlikely. Then again, I have read too much into things in the past.

- Richard.

• Like 1

I got the feeling the production quantity was less than 2000, because someone wrote here (much earlier) that DC (DCC-ready) models got odd-numbered certificates and DCC/sound fitted models got even-numbered certificates. If the total run was exactly 2,000 then this implies exactly 1,000 of each, which sounds unlikely. Then again, I have read too much into things in the past.

- Richard.

Could have been close though, Probably rounded it up to an even number for manufacturing, The few extra's may be for commemorative use, raffles, prize draws etc later on if there is any, I'm only guessing, thinking out loud Don't quote me on this I honestly don't know.

Regarding the certificate numbers, quite a few of you knew what number you were getting, How?

Should the number on the website order invoice wrote in pen match the certificate? I have 42 wrote next to mine and additional coaches 13 & 14, certificate 116.

Regards Craig.

However, it has been a long long time from announcement to delivery with more than a few headaches on my part, but to read the reviews in the magazines and on here too has been fantastic.  It is a brilliant model and I have had more comments from people saying how superb they think it is, and it is!  It's been a bit like christmas every day for the past couple of months and it doesn't matter how young or not so young you are, you are all big kids at heart and are so excitable about the APT-e!  I've loved (nearly) every minute of this project, now, how can we top this one??

Cheers

Sandra

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

now, how can we top this one??

Cheers

Sandra

2000 cries of 'HSDT'....

We're all waiting! Take our orders and our money. Just don't tell us when it arrives this time though........

Cheers!

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...now, how can we top this one??

Cheers

Sandra

Er... well, there's Boxhill to do in 4mm (and 2mm, and 7mm) ;)

Edited by Ian J.

Well, We have E-Train, HSDT is next on the list, We are already asking for P-Train, Why not do the order, HST 125, I know already done by Hornby and lima, But could you imagine what Rapido could do for this model, If HSDT is based on E-Train, Some type of rigid close coupling, With multiplug (good system once worked in) plus all the bells and whistles we now want, The HST 125 (based on HSDT) with working cab and coach doors Smoke generators, A whopping screaming valenta x2. I can't see why not, best of British, 40+ years and running the mainline service. I may be wrong but wasn't the 43 only supposed to be a stop gap until P-Train arrived?

Britain's High speed Trains,

APT-E Prototype

HSDT

HST 125

APT-P

The powerhouse's of British mainline, Why not!

Regards Craig.   

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

. . . now, how can we top this one??

Cheers

Sandra

The BR class 310 and class 312 EMUs.

Slam door commuter trains, retired before their time (rules on central door locking), much missed and ignored by the major manufacturers.

3- and 4-coach formations, so perhaps a 3-coach unit as a set, with an additional fourth coach to buy as desired

Supplied un-numbered, with a sheet of transfers (like the APT-E extra coaches) for the purchaser to add themselves.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

I believe the words 'Limited Edition' have meaning in law, so that could be a defining factor. However, I'm not a legal eagle, as I said, so can't be sure of that one.

This is getting silly. If Rapido want to do another run then why not? The advertising did not specify that this was a limited edition so even if the words do appear on the certificate they were certainly not part of the contract of sale. Anyway Rapido can avoid all such debate by making a slight difference in a future run. One possible difference could be a revised pc board in the trailer coaches as discussed recently to enable control of the interior lights.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sandra has officially announced open season for a Locomotion Wishlist. You'd have thought she'd know better than that!

How about a class 303 Glasgow Blue emu to go with that new OHLE from Peco?

• Like 2