The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Aaagh! Seeing comments from people who've got two identical power cars instead of different ones prompted me to have another look at mine in order to check, having originally only opened the box once just to have a look at it as I've currently got nowhere to run it.

Fortunately, I do have one each of all four sections (PCs 1 and 2 and TCs 1 and 2). But I now have two completely different problems.

The first is that I now really, really do want to try running it, so I'm wondering whether domestic harmony will survive setting up the test track in the living room.

The second is that I managed to tear the cardboard a bit when closing the box again, which has probably wiped a hundred quid off the value if I did decide to eBay it  :O

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Chris, It appears that the diesel engine maybe still present on the RDC looking at the slow speed moves. I hope it had a robust final drive isolation system.

I was always under the impression that the pod was a B47 one,but in an early shot in the film it shows the pod with the intakes closed off something which the B36 could do when not using its jets. So the film is right it being a B36 one not a B47 one 

Thanks for that Chris, It appears that the diesel engine maybe still present on the RDC looking at the slow speed moves. I hope it had a robust final drive isolation system.

I was always under the impression that the pod was a B47 one,but in an early shot in the film it shows the pod with the intakes closed off something which the B36 could do when not using its jets. So the film is right it being a B36 one not a B47 one 

I have the book somewhere - Flight of the M-497 - written by the guys who did it. I seem to recall that the final drives were removed and that positioning moves were done by pushing with a diesel switcher. The 'Darth Vader' front was designed by the wife of one of the guys and was merely bolted on over the flat front of the RDC. It's interesting in the movie how quickly it outpaces the camera car!

Here's the link for buying the book, which is one of those 'print on demand' exercises. Great stuff though, and well worth having.

http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/henry-morris-and-hank-morris/flight-of-the-m-497/paperback/product-20214233.html

(CJL)

Edited by dibber25

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Chris

I wonder what they did about crossing timings, I cant really believe something so primative was done so late. The jet engines they used were 20 years old even then

Cheers Chris

I wonder what they did about crossing timings, I cant really believe something so primative was done so late. The jet engines they used were 20 years old even then

The 'press' surrounding it said it was about providing fast rail service to the 'super-urban' areas which were then being developed. It seems more like a cheap, quick way to try and grab some publicity for passenger rail at a difficult time. It can't have been a serious proposal - unlike the tilting train concept. I have a Walthers RDC and a B-36 kit to do a kit-bash but I'm loathe to ruin a massive aircraft kit by pillaging the three parts that make up the engine pod. I tried casting some resin copies but I really don't have much success with resin casting. Anyway, it's a low priority project. (CJL)

I suspect they used B-36 pods because a] they were more available then as the B-47 was still in service and b] the B-47 pods would have been heavier as they had the outrigger wheels mounted in between the two engines.

Edited by Mr_Tilt

Just opened my box to put together my sound version APT-E and noticed I have two of PC2 but the instruction booklet mentions PC1.

I had two PC1s! Check which is the false PC2 (the one with the sound chip in it), get in touch with Locomotion Models and she will send out a replacement with the correct body along with a prepaid return label to send the wrong one back. You should be able to reuse the packaging the replacement was sent out in.

All very quickly dealt with.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

My Kato/Kobo Custom M-497 in N:

post-6883-0-27809200-1464024334.jpg

They were doing these in batches, picked this example up a couple of years ago. On the function options F5 gives you the Afterburner and F7 the Crossing Gate Airhorn...

I've had a pdf download of the book for some time prior to getting the model - excellent read, still available I see.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I suspect they used B-36 pods because a) they were more available then as the B-47 was still in service and b) the B-47 pods would have been heavier as they had the outrigger wheels mounted in between the two engines.

They could have used the outrigger wheel as a retractable trolley pole!!

By 66 the B47 fleet was in massive contraction,the pure bomber varient went in 65 and the reconnaissance versions following in 67, some weather and electronic versions lasting until 69.

A shame as there were well over 2000 built,they didn't share there bigger brother's long life

Been doing a bit more work on my POP train which will come in kit form, to go with APT-E, all 3D printed, not finshed yet, but getting there.

Going to go stand next to the wall of the North car park at 10:48am, 11th June , 40 years since E train arrive at the NRM, and I saw her in that very spot for the first time.

Paul

APT-E Conservation & Support Group.

post-1304-0-74398900-1464127048_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-92604300-1464127060_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-16421200-1464127070_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-18469200-1464127089_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-29919600-1464127101_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Been doing a bit more work on my POP train which will come in kit form, to go with APT-E, all 3D printed, not finshed yet, but getting there.

Going to go stand next to the wall of the North car park at 10:48am, 11th June , 40 years since E train arrive at the NRM, and I saw her in that very spot for the first time.

Paul

Looks very interesting. This will be available to buy? 

Looks very interesting. This will be available to buy? 

Hopefully yes,  POP1, POP2 under construction , early plans for HSFV1, Hastings, Testrol and Pilot.

The model looks better in real life, pics make it look pretty rough for some reason.

Paul

I was thinking that it wasn't long for that anniversary date just the other day Paul.

It's good that she's under cover at Shildon now, but having her at York for the anniversary would have been better.