The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

If you go all the way back to this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/?p=2364536

That's the 1st and only fully seated coach I have done, though with a bit of experimenting I think I've come up with another idea, may take a while due to working in Sheffield for the next 5-6 weeks and the repair of one of my first love's comes before anything else, plus there's a bit of butchery to the coaches a bit like how Disco Coach was done, you can also see her innerds on the same post although now had the little Zimo speakers removed and some bigger louder ones fitted!

On the blue paint front there was a bit of a step forward today at Shildon.

There's one Joint Module that's not been used since the train was split in 1976, and it's outside the back of the train shed at Shildon. The blue stripe on that module will still be the original blue, albeit a tad faded by now, but a short session with T-Cut should sort that out.

So there's hope yet that we'll find the exact original shade, however weird it may be.  :D

• Like 1

It might not be 100% perfect, but if you can take a photo of the module with a good camera under a high quality photography white light source, then print it out on a color printer and hold it up against the module, and then tweak the color in Photoshop a few times until it matches closely, you can then take that paper to any number of shops that will mix paint to that exact color.  Most shops can then give you a color code for that custom color so someone else can take a train ride to that shop to purchase a jar of that paint.  Hint-hint...

Edited by Fredashay

It's a great idea in theory, but the Joint Module and my printer are almost 300 miles apart................  :D

The procedure is approximately what I had in mind, assuming we can move the Module indoors, but there's precious little spare space at Shildon at the moment. There's some intentions on moving various items around at Shildon pretty soon, so things may improve. 

Oh god you found it,

I've just found her and TC-11, doesn't have the full seating so must be in the coach rake, It would be nice if Rapido released the blue paint for E-Train but what I did for Disco Coach and TC-3 & 10 was to use black insulation tape on the inside of the glazing to blank them out,  Looks o'k but would prefer them in the blue scheme.

I just want to mention to Craig that I happen to come across one of those Trix/Marklin entertainment carriages on Hattons today and snapped it up!  I don't intend to use it to kitbash my E-train with it like Craig did.  I just thought it was a unique carriage to add to my collection of unusual trains, and so I now have a new mission to buy the rest of the set and make a complete matching train, though I don't know much about German railroading, lol.

I just want to mention to Craig that I happen to come across one of those Trix/Marklin entertainment carriages on Hattons today and snapped it up!  I don't intend to use it to kitbash my E-train with it like Craig did.  I just thought it was a unique carriage to add to my collection of unusual trains, and so I now have a new mission to buy the rest of the set and make a complete matching train, though I don't know much about German railroading, lol.

It is a lovely and unique coach, although I think ESU do one now, and I also have it boxed up somewhere I bought 2, one for the APT-e Disco Coach and one to keep and build up a rake which never happened.

Trix/Marklin are releasing another coach in the same livery but did release 4-5 others before the Entertainment Car which is real and was in active service it's not a made up gimmick, (well Disco Coach is, but it's fun).

Roco did or still do the same livery so may be possible to build up a rake.

I can't remember if the program is on the SD card or you download it from Marklin (free) but you have to convert MP3 files to a smaller or different format them run them through Marklin's program to put them onto the SD card for the coach to read, Depending on controller you use it can operate under DCC or M4 protocol, it does it itself and if memory's correct you can play/pause skip forward/backward volume up/down as well as four light options,

Coach lighting, disco lighting, strobe lighting and bar light and I think you can add rear tail lights, not for E-Train though, all from the controller, it does have some German music preloaded which I deleted but have kept the cheering and clapping sound files as well as the "German discotheque" style sounds on Disco Coach.

• Like 1

It is a lovely and unique coach, although I think ESU do one now, and I also have it boxed up somewhere I bought 2, one for the APT-e Disco Coach and one to keep and build up a rake which never happened.

Trix/Marklin are releasing another coach in the same livery but did release 4-5 others before the Entertainment Car which is real and was in active service it's not a made up gimmick, (well Disco Coach is, but it's fun).

Roco did or still do the same livery so may be possible to build up a rake.

I can't remember if the program is on the SD card or you download it from Marklin (free) but you have to convert MP3 files to a smaller or different format them run them through Marklin's program to put them onto the SD card for the coach to read, Depending on controller you use it can operate under DCC or M4 protocol, it does it itself and if memory's correct you can play/pause skip forward/backward volume up/down as well as four light options,

Coach lighting, disco lighting, strobe lighting and bar light and I think you can add rear tail lights, not for E-Train though, all from the controller, it does have some German music preloaded which I deleted but have kept the cheering and clapping sound files as well as the "German discotheque" style sounds on Disco Coach.

That's great news!  I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get additional coaches in the same livery and have to get out the airbrush and stencils, bleh.  BTW, I use the NCE ProCab DCC system (it's an American system, but it's really good -- much better than either Hornby Select or Elite). 

Edited by Fredashay

That's great news!  I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get additional coaches in the same livery and have to get out the airbrush and stencils, bleh.  BTW, I use the NCE ProCab DCC system (it's an American system, but it's really good -- much better than either Hornby Select or Elite). 

Got 'em!  Someone on eBay was selling a set of coaches in the same livery as the discocar for about £180.  I'm gonna have a huge credit card bill next month :-( 

Anyone know what locomotive I should use for this train?

Edit: Before a moderator yells at me for being off-topic, I started a new thread about my Märklin adventures in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131603-running-marklin-3-rail-equipment-on-conventional-hooo-track/

Edited by Fredashay

Got 'em!  Someone on eBay was selling a set of coaches in the same livery as the discocar for about £180.  I'm gonna have a huge credit card bill next month :-( 

Anyone know what locomotive I should use for this train?

Edit: Before a moderator yells at me for being off-topic, I started a new thread about my Märklin adventures in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131603-running-marklin-3-rail-equipment-on-conventional-hooo-track/

Just to answer the question, Trix and Roco do locomotives in that livery,

I'm wondering if E-train had a numeric designation?  I don't see any designation other than TC1 on the lead locomotive.  Craig and Kit: what DCC addresses did you assign to your E-trains? 

Edited by Fredashay

I'm wondering if E-train had a numeric designation?  I don't see any designation other than TC1 on the lead locomotive.  Craig and Kit: what DCC addresses did you assign to your E-trains? 

This was discussed somewhere in the last 4292 posts

There were many people who came up with different ideas as to a number

Assuming I am correct & the full set was PC1,TC1,TC2,PC2 in that order. I'm sure Kit or someone will correct me if I'm wrong

You could number it 1122

​A 2 digit address could be 12( using the digits on each power car)

John

• Like 1

Yes, they are numbered like that, so that's a good idea.  The only complication is that I bought two of them and some extra coaches so I can keep one true to the prototype and run the other in passenger service on my layout.  My NCE system can assign numbers from 1 to 9999.  I guess the E-train was never given a class designation, so I suppose 1122 and 1123... 

Edited by Fredashay

156 is a popular one as it was the maximum speed reached,

I used an algorithm based on the PC/TC numbers the wheels and windows plus exhausts, Yeah right, I'm not that clever so use 1234 for E-Train and 5678 for Service Use, 

Running ESU ECoS you just select the name and the picture comes on the screen, don't need to remember numbers,

• Like 1

There were many people who came up with different ideas as to a number

Assuming I am correct & the full set was PC1,TC1,TC2,PC2 in that order. I'm sure Kit or someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Correct, APT-E never was given a Class number, and during its active life the vehicles were configured in that order. After the ASLEF ban and Rebuild 1 we ran in 3 car form for a while, PC1, TC2, PC2 but added TC1 after it had undergone vibration tests.

Sadly the train's NOT in that order at Shildon, it's displayed as PC2, TC1, gap, TC2, PC1. That's because the contractors who moved it up there didn't listen to Paul and me and just pushed it in the Hall in the easiest way. We're working on changing that around with a more enthusiastic NRM team right now, but it'll be a BIG job and it'll take some time. 

156 is a popular one as it was the maximum speed reached,

I wish, but it was 152.3 actually. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

Correct, APT-E never was given a Class number, and during its active life the vehicles were configured in that order. After the ASLEF ban and Rebuild 1 we ran in 3 car form for a while, PC1, TC2, PC1 but added TC1 after it had undergone vibration tests.

Sadly the train's NOT in that order at Shildon, it's displayed as PC2, TC1, gap, TC2, PC1. That's because the contractors who moved it up there didn't listen to Paul and me and just pushed it in the Hall in the easiest way. We're working on changing that around with a more enthusiastic NRM team right now, but it'll be a BIG job and it'll take some time. 

I wish, but it was 152.3 actually. 

I was close, sorry Kit,

The cut cables remind me of the opening of a Michael Palin one-man show. He shambled onto a dimly-lit stage covered in a tangle of cables and started picking up cable ends and bringing them together. They would spark and he’d drop them and try another pair. It was a few seconds until the audience realised it wasn’t a stage hand.

Those contractors have a lot to answer for. In fact, a lot of people on high have a lot to answer for in relation to the APT. Sorry, Mr. Tilt, I didn’t mean to liight your blue touch paper!

The cut cables remind me of the opening of a Michael Palin one-man show. He shambled onto a dimly-lit stage covered in a tangle of cables and started picking up cable ends and bringing them together. They would spark and he’d drop them and try another pair. It was a few seconds until the audience realised it wasn’t a stage hand.

Those contractors have a lot to answer for. In fact, a lot of people on high have a lot to answer for in relation to the APT. Sorry, Mr. Tilt, I didn’t mean to liight your blue touch paper!

Yes, you could easily get me going on that front................  :wild:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I've been using DCC addresses 4 and 5 (I already assigned 1 to Thomas, lol), so I'll use 1122 and 1523.

And, yes, I want to get an ECoS system someday, but I have too much invested in my NCE system at the moment to just toss it in the bin...  Also if you select your loco by picture, what if you have more than one of the same loco?  The E-train isn't the only train I have more than one of :-/

Edited by Fredashay

The numbering system for decoder addressing is an interesting topic.

For none steam I have gone down the TOPS route, using the for 2 TOPS class numbers for the loco and the last 2 cabside numbers for the identifier.

Hence 08762 has address 0862, 40141 - 4041, 45036 = 4536 etc. This works well for me without any duplications though could have duplicates for some folks.

For units I use the first three class digits to identify the class and the final digit the individual unit. For example I have 2 Class 108's and these are 1081 + 1082.

For locos or units not designated a TOP class reference I assign a defacto one, so HS4000 'Kestrel' is given Class 54 and addressed as 5400.

For the APT-E I chose class 270 and address 2700.

For steam I use the first 2 and last 2 cabside numbers, so 60163 is given 6063 and The forthcoming Stirling Single will be 0001.

It is not a prefect system but I like the logic and it is easy for most items to know the address straight away and it is pretty user friendly on the ECoS, given you can sort by address or by given name etc.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet as a point of reference for all locos / units / carriages / wagons / buildings etc. on different tabs. Eventually they can all be hyperlinked to an image.

Hope this helps!

To try to keep on topic, The ECoS is a good system, not without its faults but I like it and wouldn't be without it.

You select loco's from the loco list by name,

post-28965-0-82159900-1520542238_thumb.jpg

Guess which one's I picked,

post-28965-0-60961700-1520542263_thumb.jpg

Fairly simple, As for binning the NCE, No, I don't know the system but the ECoS has a sniffer port on it (think Roco Z21 is the same) you can connect the NCE to the sniffer port of the ECoS and use your NCE system as normal but it runs through the ECoS. so you can keep both systems and with the new ECoS it puts out 6-7amps? to the track now.

Check out Jim's (Hovermotion) YouTube channel, from memory he runs ECoS as primary controller, has a Mobile Controller 2 connected, runs Roco Z21 through the sniffer port for his Iphone, Ipad, and Ipods and a Multimaus plus operates the layout off the computer,

Ah, so ECoS allows you to name your trains in addition to using photos -- solves that problem!   And since this tangent was caused when I asked what DCC addresses to assign my two E-trains, I think we're technically still on topic :-p  Thanks again, Craig!  You too, Opelsi!

• Like 1