The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

We've been working on that for some time, years even, but while we have some support at York, there's precious little real support at Shildon, which seems to be a hard-over 'Steam Chapel' from what I can see.

There have been some meetings in the last year or so, but nothing's actually happened from the other side.

Hi All,

Kit is totally right, the meetings we have had over the past few years always promise a lot, but delivered little to nothing.

The new manager of Shildon actually said to us that because we where not an official organization outside the NRM, he called us "a few blokes just doing the odd few bits on the train" quote, the work we had done in the past didn't really matter and they could do what they like with the train.  He also wanted us to sign over all material that the group has repaired, fitted to the train as the NRM does not borrow items of other groups,  something we said we wouldn't do.  Came down to the point that the NRMs legal team was going to get involved,  that's the last thing we heard about anything.

The point of the group was to rescue the train from destruction, which we did, and after the move to Shildon to return the train is display standard.  I don't think we have done to bad, its take 17 years so far, 99% of it being paid for out of the groups own pockets, via members.

We (the group) know just everything there is to know about E train, but sadly some of the powers that be up at Shildon just really don't give the train or us a dam.

Me and Kit have spoken about fitting PC2 with a copper exhaust funnel and a firebox in the APU bay, maybe we would get more notice then.................

No workdays have been done for ages, although we have been up a few times, but not official, about the only time we can do anything on the train now.

Funny how a group not really recognized by most of the NRM obtained and Engineering Heritage Award a few years back,  the award was as much for the groups works as it was for the train.  Take note :- Shildon!!!!

Edited by apt-e

That's what they told us at the various meetings Shane, but we've not heard anything more about that for 6 months or so.

That would give us the chance to re-locate the vehicles in the correct order and the right way round, which in turn would enable safe movement to be made from one vehicle to another, which isn't the case currently.

As usual it'll depend on funding I suppose, and who knows what's happening on that front just now?

I think the plan to move E-Train to Leicester has been shelved though.

The NRM hierarchy prefer that the train's moved back to York as part of the York Central expansion plans. The NRM's part of that is to move the Lednum Rd south and west around the rear of the Museum's South Hall and build a large connecting hall between the two current Halls, with E-Train in the middle of the new hall.

• RMweb Premium

Well I am so sorry to read about such problems. I did really pop into Shildon only to see the APT-E, and this might confirm it is a bit out of place there. Certainly it takes more space in their hall than any other single exhibit.

Looking back, I wish I had asked for permission to go up the steps and look through the vestibule doors (the steps are roped off). To see some 1970s technology. I didn't expect a guided tour, just to be able to look. Perhaps, in the longer term, the team can borrow from a technique I've seen in old aircraft and ships, where tall sheets of perspex are put up so the visitor can walk past and see the fixtures and fittings, but not touch them. Or, perhaps a viewing platform beside some of the windows along the side of the trailer cars. I can appreciate how the power cars would never be designed for viewing. It is very sad to read about thefts.

I actually had a nightmare about the E train last night - one of the trailer cars had been sectioned like Ellerman Lines, and the profile of the body shell had been lost in the process. Probably thinking about it too much.

It was great to be able to see the train.

- Richard.

It's sad to hear all this, To ask a daft question who is the legal owner of E-Train, NRM or the preservation group? Does seem to look as the NRM don't really care, even when she was moved to Shildon they weren't that fussed of how she got there, Stihl saw took care of the cabling.

Hi All,

Sadly the move to Leicester has indeed to shelved due to the fact E train is too large to fit in the space available.  Hence the York project which me and Kit were told about last year.

The York project however requires a massive amount of re-development in the Leeman road area as Kit has said, and they were talking of around 8 -9 years before it could be completed.

So for now, E train is staying in Shildon and we will just have to do our best in the meantime.

As a note, a brand new amplifier has been removed from inside TC2, its just vanished!!!  so you can see why access the train is so limited.

The walkway / plastic covers are all good ideas, but we do not have the funds for that, and Shildon for certain wouldn't pay for it sadly.

All dark times for the project, but we have to try and be confident it will get better in time :-)

Regards

Paul

Edited by apt-e

When the model was launched, I thought it a privilege to get inside the power car, the executive lounge and even sit in the driver’s seat of the real thing. It turns out that it was an even greater privilege than I thought at the time. APT is an example of how we should be making trains for the world instead of getting the world to make trains for us. Paul and Kit, you have done wonders. At least APT-E is under cover now and looking handsome. It seems that constant vigilance is still needed, unfortunately.

“a few blokes just doing the odd few bits on the train”. That’s rude and rough after everything that has been done.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the plaudits, we're flattered (well I am anyway, and I expect Paul is too.  :D ) but it wasn't just us, the group has been quite large at times, maybe as many as 20 when the train was at York, as we've always needed a wide range of talents to keep the restoration on track.

Just to name a few more, there's Malcolm and Barrie and Mel and Simon and Dave and................... (memory overload....)

Edited by Mr_Tilt

If anyone spots an APT-E DCC Sound version for sale can they please let me know as my entire collection worth £4,000 at least has been stolen and the APT-E was one of them

So sorry to hear that. Was the collection insured? I've been toying with the idea of a separate collection policy recently but been putting it off, now you've made me think more seriously.

There don't appear to be any on EBay at the moment, they do pop up at shows though the only place I can think of who actually has them (for a price) is Olivias, but marked up as Hornby APT-E last time I looked.

So sorry to hear that. Was the collection insured? I've been toying with the idea of a separate collection policy recently but been putting it off, now you've made me think more seriously.

There don't appear to be any on EBay at the moment, they do pop up at shows though the only place I can think of who actually has them (for a price) is Olivias, but marked up as Hornby APT-E last time I looked.

Stupidly no, I was in the process of cataloging the lot just for such a reason......

If anyone spots an APT-E DCC Sound version for sale can they please let me know as my entire collection worth £4,000 at least has been stolen and the APT-E was one of them

That's terrible. :O

Is there any way of telling your E-Train from any others? Does it have the TC1 seat cover decals installed for instance?

There's some scumbags in this world, It's not just the cost (which is a big factor) It's your collection what you have built up over years, some models might not be replaceable as they are just not out there anymore,

And the cost of E-Train from Olivia's, £700 plus £100 for sound and £29 p&p,

That's terrible. :O

Is there any way of telling your E-Train from any others? Does it have the TC1 seat cover decals installed for instance?

Sadly not, I was hoping that it would be offered with a collection but I doubt it will be recovered

Sadly not, I was hoping that it would be offered with a collection but I doubt it will be recovered

Talk to model shops, particularly local ones.

When I worked for the Signal Box, one of our customers had his collection stolen. He gave us full details.

The person who stole it, passed in the shop wanting to sell the collection to us. We took his details, kept the collection in the back while we "estimated" it, called the real owner who confirmed it was their's then the police (mind you the local chief of police was a good customer of ours as well - so it was not hard to arrange a discreet investigation).

If you know the limited edition number that might help

Those were not on the model so separating them would just need selling as lost certificate, I'm resigned to having lost the entire collection and having to rebuild it from scratch some how.

It's to late now, but one way to identify the loco is read the decoder, each Loksound or any ESU decoder (select for E-Train) has there own serial number, (not sure about other makes) this can be read with a Lokprogrammer.

It's not much help but might be a good idea as I don't think Mr light fingers would think about removing the decoder.

Those were not on the model so separating them would just need selling as lost certificate, I'm resigned to having lost the entire collection and having to rebuild it from scratch some how.

If you want to put in some time sleuthing you might be able to trace them. A friend of mine had some models stolen including trains so I broke down the search into a number of phases; model shops within 100 mile radius (easy as there are not so many sadly); Craig's list and other internet marketplaces and finally eBay. On eBay I searched for one or two of the items using all the descriptors for those items - setting the radius at 100 miles and including sold items. This throws up a lot of legitimate offerings; note the seller's names and also look at the list of similar items along the bottom. I knew that some train sets had been stolen so searching "train set" found some of them. For the APT search "APT" but also "Rapido" and "Museum" and try some spelling mistakes too "ATP". For any suspicious names just open up their page to see what else they have sold or have on sale. Within a few hours I had narrowed the search to a single seller who not only had all my friend's stuff that he knew about but also some he didn't (and found missing when he checked). Take screen shots of all the pages featuring your stuff as the perp will remove them once they feel a bit of heat and you need some evidence. Contact the police and they can get in touch with eBay to get their details. Good luck!

If anyone is interested (yesterday) in the window of the second hand train shop in the Harris Arcade, Reading there was a Locomotion APTE  set £250. Cash buyers can generally negotiate a discount.