Isle of Man

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone on here live in the Isle of Man or is likely to visit there soon?

If so could you please take a few piccies of some turnouts (points) on the Steam Railway.

Please DO NOT trespass on the railway to take them.

Thanks in Advance

SS

Why is this under UK PQs? :O

The Isle of Man is a self-governing British Crown Dependency. Considering it's proximity, and if you asked the man in the street whether it was part of the UK they would probably answer 'yes', it is probably being pedantic to start shifting this topic about...

Which team does Mark Cavendish race for?

It seems as reasonably a place as any for this question - it certainally isn't continental or European.

Probably not a good example - he rides for Omega-Pharma-Quickstep (OPQ), a Belgian cycling team. Now if you'd said which country does he race for...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Those are just the sort of shots I have been looking for, it's interesting to see that the switch has joggled stock rails and that the check or guard rails are the shorter sort as used by the GW.

Thanks for your efforts.

SS

Today, I had the opportunity/pleasure to measure up a turnout at Castletown. It looks as if the main running lines have been going through a renewal process, however this turnout appears slightly older. Various other dimensions also obtained.

Track Gauge: Supposedly 36" however in practice it is often greater than this. A Track Gauge gauge in the Port Erin museum suggests 36.25" is the optimum gauge.

Sleepers are 9" x 7'0" x 5". Turnout timbering is also 9" width. Wheelsets have back to back of 33.25" with a tyre width of 4.75" (locos and wagons), 1.125" effective flange, 1" flange depth. Wagon axle is 4" dia. Rail length appears to be 36'0" although it physicaly measures 36'0.5". There are 14 sleepers per length. Spacing at ends is 26.25" (13.125" from end of rail). Remaining sleeper equally spaced. Rail is BS60A. Fishplates are 16" length. Some of the mainline running rails have been welded into longer lengths.

The turnout is 1:6.5 although a cast frog (their term not mine) in the Port Erin museum appares to 1:5.5. The length of planing of the switches is 86". Switch blade length is 16'0", then a 3/8" gap, closure rails(assuming I hae the right term) is 24'0.5", then another 3/8" gap, then 7'1" to tip of vee.

9'0.25" is the distance from the tip of the vee to the joint with the normal diverged running rails. Interestingly sleepers/timbers are aligned to he centre of the turnout, not the straight route. Crossing flangeway is 1 7/8", Between checkrails is 32.25". Checkrails are 10'0" long. They flair out 9" from the end to give a gap of 3.5". Wing rails flair 12.125" from end to 3.5" gap. From tipof vee to end of wing rail is 51". Turnout operating rods are 1 3/8" diameter giving a gap between running rail and blade of 4.125".

Hope that helps.

• RMweb Premium

Mike

Some very interesting measurements there and all are very useful. The photo's are also very useful. I thank you for your time and effort in accruing this information and photo's.

It looks as if you have had some decent weather for your stay on the island.

Cheers

SS

Archived