How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

In answer to the thread title, I had about a dozen A4s mostly BR variants by Hornby, but the number has increased considerably having caught a dose of Gresleyitis with the Silver Jubilee foursome 2509-12.  I had intended to buy just one, but indecision and the rapid selling of 2512 in particular made my desire to own all four irresistable.

I wonder if there's a pill I could take?  I intend to photograph and edit the photos as best I can to get that everyday 1935-37 look. Shameless, I know, but enjoyable.  :)

I might even do a blue LNER A4 as an encore.     The tragedy of this is that I have always been a Bulleid fan apologist.

Having over many years collected A4's in 00 I have always wished I had an 0 gauge one, well finally last week I managed to get one. I attach some photos of it

post-4401-0-27837400-1450004976_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-16842000-1450004985_thumb.jpg

[attachlment=654600:60022 C.jpg]

This is an L.H. Loveless model and in my opinion one of the nicest models you can find, along with a few friends from my local model railway club we are building a new 0 gauge show layout which is based on BR North Eastern region. I have also got a Golden Age A2 which is also a super model and am presently looking for possibly a B1 or V2 to add to my collection.

to do this I'm having to sell much of my collection of 00 stock to finance it so I will have quite a few Hornby latest type A4's in BR Green late crest double chimney for sale. If you are interested in any please private message me for details. Most have real coal some have driver/fireman and are DCC on board (but I can remove the chip). Please check out my thread 179 on page 8 for some photos of some of them.

Thanks

Ian H

post-4401-0-19137400-1450004996_thumb.jpg

Edited by silverlink
  • Like 5

Im cannot remember if this has appeared on rmweb but here it is anyway. A few years ago i got hold of the Hornby dublo commemoration ltd edition sir nigel gresley complete with single chimney and skirts. To be honest this was a bit of an impulse buy as i do like the look of the garter blue pacifics. Now i am of the view that models should be run and not spend their life in their box, the problem with this loco is that i model the br period. I thought for a while as was in two minds, but in the end i made up my mind and so it was out with a scalpel and spare parts boxes. I decided that i would change the loco to its as first preserved condition, or as near as possible which bascically involves removing the skirts and substituting the single chimney for a double, also removal of the lner speedo on the firemans side. And then add a br speedo on the opposite side. Finlly to add the reversing rod and other small bits and pieces and, here is the near finished loco.post-10572-0-38172700-1450013728_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

One day I am going to Ride behind an A4...Being form the other side of the earth is not helping... each time I have been to the NYMR SNG has been out of commission.... Then again I have not been behind any LNER Pacifics... as some say one day! 

Lovely photo above though! 

See you learn something new everyday on RMweb, that's the first pictures I've seen of SNG with Gold Decals after preservation. Like Hilux, I was always under the impression that it got Stainless cutouts almost immediately after being repainted garter Blue.

Thanks Chaps.

One day I am going to Ride behind an A4...Being form the other side of the earth is not helping... each time I have been to the NYMR SNG has been out of commission.... Then again I have not been behind any LNER Pacifics... as some say one day! 

Lovely photo above though! 

Doug pick me up at Perth on the way through will you, seeing an A4 in Steam and traveling behind one is well up on my bucket list too.

Although I did see A3 4472 in WA in the late 80's.Twas quite a sight (and sound).

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Gold

Im cannot remember if this has appeared on rmweb but here it is anyway. A few years ago i got hold of the Hornby dublo commemoration ltd edition sir nigel gresley complete with single chimney and skirts. To be honest this was a bit of an impulse buy as i do like the look of the garter blue pacifics. Now i am of the view that models should be run and not spend their life in their box, the problem with this loco is that i model the br period. I thought for a while as was in two minds, but in the end i made up my mind and so it was out with a scalpel and spare parts boxes. I decided that i would change the loco to its as first preserved condition, or as near as possible which bascically involves removing the skirts and substituting the single chimney for a double, also removal of the lner speedo on the firemans side. And then add a br speedo on the opposite side. Finlly to add the reversing rod and other small bits and pieces and, here is the near finished loco.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Lovely job - a loco thats on my 'to do' list but quite a long way down! You just need to add the electrification warning flashes now and if I were being pedantic the tyres should be polished rather than red. But it looks great as it is :)

Golden Eagle looks nicely made, aside from the inside of the tender platwork being painted blue (as noted above). Lamp Irons and Smokebox numberplate in the right place for the first time in many releases.

Assuming these are made by REF, things are starting to look up... just a pity is has taken 3 years and many ££££ forked out for sub-par models (I'm still waiting for Hornby to reply to multiple letters asking for replacement corridor windows from my GG A4s that were 'trimmed' to incorrectly fit inside the tender body)

• RMweb Gold

Golden Eagle looks nicely made, aside from the inside of the tender platwork being painted blue (as noted above). Lamp Irons and Smokebox numberplate in the right place for the first time in many releases.

Assuming these are made by REF, things are starting to look up... just a pity is has taken 3 years and many ££££ forked out for sub-par models (I'm still waiting for Hornby to reply to multiple letters asking for replacement corridor windows from my GG A4s that were 'trimmed' to incorrectly fit inside the tender body)

Your assumption is correct.REF it is.

Lovely job - a loco thats on my 'to do' list but quite a long way down! You just need to add the electrification warning flashes now and if I were being pedantic the tyres should be polished rather than red. But it looks great as it is :)

Since the post the flashes have been added and i am trying to figure oit how to make the tyres polished as i want a shine but not toy like either.

Gary

• Like 1

Doug pick me up at Perth on the way through will you, seeing an A4 in Steam and traveling behind one is well up on my bucket list too.

Although I did see A3 4472 in WA in the late 80's.Twas quite a sight (and sound).

I saw Flying Scotsman here in victoria. Dad took me to Spencer st Station... wrong day.... So missed out But a mate of mine and his family chased it all the way to Seymour in central Victoria... fabulous day out I only had 1 roll of film though. I managed with the camera quite well but mostly of the 2 R classes R761 and R707 But it was a sight seeing FS at about 100Km barely loping along... with the R classes madly trying to keep up... Will always remember that day!  I was only 15 at the time. 

I don't know the next time I will get a holiday in the UK. I see there is a move for direct flights eventually from Perth to London with Qantas just need the Crimea to stop throwing the explosives around so the flight path is cleared again! 

Edited by DougN

To answer the OP - all (35) of them! (or at least access to them).

post-16151-0-19041000-1450270505_thumb.jpg

They were all to be seen together at Barrow Hill last year as part of the A4 event there (No.8, 4489, 4464) and they all ran at least once on the layout during the weekend. Was featured in Model Rail 202. Not an exercise to be repeated in a hurry!

(if you can't count to 35 that's cos there were several on the layout at any one time)

Also fortunate to have access to two of the three streamliner trains:

post-16151-0-80687400-1450270598.jpg

post-16151-0-57415700-1450270705_thumb.jpg

Come and see us on the road in 2016 - but we won't have all the 35 A4s with us!

(Dare I mention the 79 Gresley A1/A3s...?)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5

The latest one

Mallard around the time of its record. It started out as falcon and is new tendered and brassmaster detailed as well as lamp irons and lamps, back head painted up....trust me on that one.

post-23520-0-43582900-1450476445_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-64492800-1450476437_thumb.jpg

perhaps a little dirty? i might tone it down.

Richard

• Like 8

Just re looking over the weathering it is some thing I would love to achieve. Can you give us a run down on what you did and what products you used.

It is very kind of you, it really is the simplest weathering I have tried. Totally back to basics. The side skirts are given a pin wash into the gaps. Then cleaned up with a cotton bud with a little white spirts on it. Then the boiler bands and boiler top have black pastel brushed on with most brushed off leaving only the merged in subtle change in tone (hopefully).

Then that is that no airbrush or fancy stuff.

Hope that helps, I am rather pleased how it came out for a loco kept clean but working.

Richard

While pondering the number of A4s I own, and having bought all four 'silver' versions, I was lamenting the low number of pre-war blue versions, Mallard and Herring Gull (with DCC sound) in the higher-detail forms being the only two I could remember, then I remembered buying an Argus trainpack a while ago...  The Flying Scotsman with 4483 'Kingfisher' and three high-detail Gresleys including a buffet carriage...    sure enough,   and what a beautiful find!

Are there any Hornby versions in garter blue with exposed rods as per late LNER?

Here is Kingfisher, pic slightly edited. What a lovely model!  :)

post-7929-0-15592700-1451332698_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

While pondering the number of A4s I own, and having bought all four 'silver' versions, I was lamenting the low number of pre-war blue versions, Mallard and Herring Gull (with DCC sound) in the higher-detail forms being the only two I could remember, then I remembered buying an Argus trainpack a while ago...  The Flying Scotsman with 4483 'Kingfisher' and three high-detail Gresleys including a buffet carriage...    sure enough,   and what a beautiful find!

Are there any Hornby versions in garter blue with exposed rods as per late LNER?

Here is Kingfisher, pic slightly edited. What a lovely model!   :)

attachicon.gif4483_A4_LNER_Kingfisher_1abcd_r1200.jpg

Sadly no 

• RMweb Premium

There's been heaps of models in LNER Prewar Blue. They just almost all have the same name and number lol. There has been the special edition 4498 as well as Bittern in the Great Gathering/Goodbye sets and DOC in the GG set too.

Edited by Hilux5972