How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

• RMweb Gold

I love the A4, but have just realised with this post, that I have never owned one.  Need a K1 next, but I really should get myself at least a railroad version at some point. Think the TTS sound version is amazing value.

Depends on which era/variant you wish to model and whether or not sound is essential for you.

There are 4 in my fleet, one original tender drive Seagull which is at my dad's and the three in my possession are all railroad spec; Silver Fox from the train pack, Falcon, which has been renamed also as Silver Fox but in blue as ruining in the late 30s, and a TTS Gadwall which I'm considering a simple rename to Sir Ralph Wedgwood.

All are LNER liveried, I will eventually add some BR ones, I do have a Bachmann Dominion of New Zealand in BR early crest for now though!

Cheers

J

Going to be applying new nameplates to my 4491 in a few days- what's the best method for getting them to sit flat on the boiler?

Hi Ade - just completely remove the old nameplates and cut a notch in the first bolier band. This is my 4489 when that was being done;

post-16674-0-18340100-1421695463_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just wondered if anyone got a set of the 80th anniversary Silver A4s on order. http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon/lner-4-6-2-siver-jubilee-80th-anniversary-limited-edition-assortment.html

And I wonder how many of us have a suitable Silver Jubilee set to run with them........all dressed up and nobody to go out with....they're going to be awfully lonely.

I now have three, in order of "modernity":

Mallard, in BR Green (R2784X) ie Railroad with factory fitted DCC.

Mallard in LNER Blue. A GBL body/tender body on a Triang Hornby Flying Scotsman chassis (the one with firebox glow!). This lives on a Super 4 layout.

Silver King in BR Green (EDL11). a 3-rail Hornby Dublo locomotive.

I don't mind A4s, its just that they're a bit of a boring shape, even with the valences cut back..

Aren't they?

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking of getting a custom cabinet made to hold all the Great Gathering/ Goodbye and Jubilee collection in one cabinet. I'm planning on getting the gathering and goodbye collection . One for display and one for running. Maybe

I now have three, in order of "modernity":

I don't mind A4s, its just that they're a bit of a boring shape, even with the valences cut back..

Aren't they?

:swoon:  :swoon:  :swoon:  :swoon:  :swoon:  :swoon:

Now I've recovered from the initial shock of that, I have to say that's quite funny.

Edited by The Blue Streak

Just wondered if anyone got a set of the 80th anniversary Silver A4s on order. http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon/lner-4-6-2-siver-jubilee-80th-anniversary-limited-edition-assortment.html

I have them on pre-order from my local model shop, I was assured by the Hornby Rep before he retired I would get them. I have them to go with my Golden Age Models Jubilee coach set. Sadly I missed out on a GAM silver A4, and at £1200 each wouldn't have bought more than one.

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Great pics micklner. I like the Apple Green ones . Makes a change from the LNER blue . Much prefer Woodcock to Sea Eagle. I appreciate the livery is authentic but it just doesn't seem to sit right on an A4.

• RMweb Gold

I have them on pre-order from my local model shop, I was assured by the Hornby Rep before he retired I would get them. I have them to go with my Golden Age Models Jubilee coach set. Sadly I missed out on a GAM silver A4, and at £1200 each wouldn't have bought more than one.

Regards

Roy

Obviously a man of impeccable taste ......and deep pockets. With regard to the Golden Age set which is gorgeous,I had a conversation a while back with someone who had one.His one caveat about them was that they would only negotiate the shallowest of curves.Do you yourself find that is the case ? The other caution I would have with the Hornby A4 is that it might struggle with them given their weight ?

Only got of them . Mallard  L N E R Blue

Sir Nigel Gresley B R Blue

Peregrine  Wartime Black

Bittern   B R Green late crest  

Obviously a man of impeccable taste ......and deep pockets. With regard to the Golden Age set which is gorgeous,I had a conversation a while back with someone who had one.His one caveat about them was that they would only negotiate the shallowest of curves.Do you yourself find that is the case ? The other caution I would have with the Hornby A4 is that it might struggle with them given their weight ?

Hi Ian,

I've not really had them on anything other than a straight short test run (scared of them coming off the rails and being damaged). With them being on roller bearings they do have quite a drag more like old Triang coaches, my Bachmann "Silver Fox" seemed to manage the short test run. I've not tried with the latest Hornby A4s, but am hoping for the best. With the coaches having only a Buckeye coupling the A4 will also need one. I sadly missed out on the GAM silver A4s but am keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market. I did get them for a good price direct from GAM much less than RRP for the full set. At the time I was contemplating the full Flying Scotsman set but I'm very much scared of SHMBO and this was B.C. (Before Children).

P.S she still doesn't know about them.

Regards

Roy