Phoenix Precision Superspray

Anyone used one of these? sounds good from the blurb but I would appreciate other webbers feedback on their experience with this product

These were discussed at some length on one of the previous versions of RMweb - perhaps all of the previous versions! From reading those threads, I seemed to be very much in the minority of users who were happy with their results. It does take a LOT of cleaning out.

One little tip - if you have paint left over and pour it back into the tin - don't put the lid back on straight away, let the disolved gas come back out of solution for a couple of hours, swirling the tin every 20 minutes, then when you put the lid on the tin, g-clamp it to the workbench overnight.

I didn't consider the disolved gas and put the lid back on, then went away and did something else. I came back an hour later to discover the lid lying next to the tin, and whilst I was convincing myself I had put the lid on, I noticed a small drop of paint on the over-bench cupboard, I then discovered a perfect circle of Network SouthEast blue paint on the workshop ceiling the same size as the lid!

Jon

hmmm, thanks for the feedback, so, woyld you say that you get similar sorts of results as using say a commercial car spray using Humbrol paints?

Yes, very similar.

Did you thin the paint (apart from adding the proellant etc)?

No the propellent is liquified propane/butane, so it thins the paint for you. I would suggest adding rather more propellent than the minimum, as it will help even out the spray performance.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I had paint bubbling for days

on the model or in the tins?

To be fair, an airbrush would be nice, but is a hell of an investment when all I want to do is spray a couple of loco bodies one colour that you can't get in aerosol form. At a tenner (plus postage plus a can of lighter fuel) it's tempting ....

on the model or in the tins?

To be fair, an airbrush would be nice, but is a hell of an investment when all I want to do is spray a couple of loco bodies one colour that you can't get in aerosol form. At a tenner (plus postage plus a can of lighter fuel) it's tempting ....

Ian

I have had similar thoughts, but I decided to bite the bullet and buy a compressor (I have a decent airbrush) I mentioned this to a friend down the golf club on satutday and he told me 2 weeks ago he brought this compressor with 2 airbrushes, he is over the moon with it. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290381971522 just going to order mine now.

Must work out cheaper in the long run and can be used on the layout as well as with stock.

OK, to quote Fish (Forgotten Sons - Script for a Jester's Tear) "The Discision has been made"

I'm ordering a Superspray for now and adding an airbrush to my birthday list in June, that eBay kit looks quite good value ...

Ian

PM me in June and I can tell you of my friends and my experance with this model, if I can manage to use it any one can.

• RMweb Gold

might not wait until June, just checked out that seller on Amazon and the price is a lot higher than on eBay, not sure how long they can hold the price at the eBay level ....

Superspray is ordered. I hope that I can get on with it and it will be used for large area coverage such as whole loco spraying. Should pay for itself as I can get away with buying a tinlet at GBP2.50 rather than a can at 7 or 8 quid that I don't use 1/3 of ...

To be honest, I can see that both devices will have their uses in future

Archived