Converting Bachman Bulleid coaches to set 860

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I'm hoping you might be able to help. I have started converting three Bachman Bullied coaches into set 860. According to what I have read they are a very close match to those in set 860, all being to diagram 2123 and 2318. This set had a slightly different diagram with longer toilet tanks which I know what to do. 

The question I cant work out concerns the underframe. I know from various sources that sets 850 to 865 were not fitted with the Prestall vacuum brake cylinder, so that on the Bachmann coaches will be cut off. What I am unsure of and have not been able to find an answer on is were those coaches in sets 850 to 865 fitted with the large vacuum reserve tank or was it just the 2 small reserve tanks to either end?

Many thanks for your help in advance

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

These sets built with the pair of 22" vacuum cylinders at each end would have also had a pair of 1'6" dia tanks at each end (ie not the 2' dia tanks fitted with near the Prestall cylinder)

Those Sets that were later retrofitted with two 22" cylinders in place of the single Prestall cylinder did however retain the larger tank

I hope this helps

Archived