British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about a single line 4ft long single board module, using 9mm wood frame and cross bracing, with a 9mm track bed. Track plan will be straight through line, with a main line single point to a pair of simple sidings for some sort of industry, possibly a clay dries.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

Thinking about a single line 4ft long single board module, using 9mm wood frame and cross bracing, with a 9mm track bed. Track plan will be straight through line, with a main line single point to a pair of simple sidings for some sort of industry, possibly a clay dries.

I haven't checked PECO's lengths but from my HO experience, the main point and the point to the two sidings will take up 18" (at least) followed by another 9" point length of convergence to separate the two sidings if they are parallel.Then you end up with two approx < 18" sidings. that presumably need to be able to hold a shunting loco and at least one freight wagon each. (The arithmetic allows that you need a little space between the turnout and the buffer stops from the end of the module)

Andy

You can insure my car ! In fact anyone other than those named on my insurance policy has to have insurance to drive it (or trade plates and trade insurance) also if my car was for hire you would have to provide insurance. I could even insure your life …

I cannot insure your car as I have no ​insurable interest in it. Likewise you cannot insure my life because you have no ​insurable interest in it. If you decide to lend me your car I can legally drive it because my insurance policy includes third party liability, so if I hit a pedestrian while driving any road legal vehicle my licence allows me to they can make a claim with my insurer. However if I hit a patch of oil and stuff it into a wall I'll just walk away. My insurer won't cover the damage and neither will yours (unless you have added me as a named driver, with comprehensive coverage).

Apologies to all for taking this thread off topic but I don't like to see bad legal advice being bandied about, most will ignore it and check with a qualified professional, but some may just believe it and act on it. Mods please feel free to remove this post and the paragraph I quoted :)

Again it's only the end plates that matter, the module / layout can be 45" deep in the middle

If someone wants to model Ribblehead or the Forth bridge they can as long as it has the adjustable feet so the limit is really 1 inch off the floor ;)

Just don't try and limbo under it lol.

Now that some standards have been nailed to the turntable I can start looking at planning a module. i'll start simple as this is a new thing for me. if it works, i might well alter my main layout plans to allow it to be joined (either directly or via a translator module) onto other layouts.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't checked PECO's lengths but from my HO experience, the main point and the point to the two sidings will take up 18" (at least) followed by another 9" point length of convergence to separate the two sidings if they are parallel.Then you end up with two approx < 18" sidings. that presumably need to be able to hold a shunting loco and at least one freight wagon each. (The arithmetic allows that you need a little space between the turnout and the buffer stops from the end of the module)

Andy

At 18" long, in clear, a siding will hold 5 short wheelbase wagons so the total capacity of the 2 sidings would be 10 wagons - which is likely to be a reasonable sized proportion of most freight trains.  That should provide plenty of play value operating potential shunting that lot in off a train having picked up the outwards and no doubt having to shunt out a couple from behind the others in that siding.  And keep the single line blocked while shunting - JLTRT, that's what timetables are for (oops, wrong thread).

I think preparation and cut off times could solve some of the financial problems mentioned above

And that's effectively what Nick and I did for Armitage, it was plugged well in advance, folk were asked to commit, from that we took a decision with a few months to go as to whether we had enough folk interested to make it viable, and we confirmed to the folk involved it was going to happen.

Once we knew the (rough) numbers we did a (rough) budget to work out what we needed to charge per head, and asked folk to pay in advance (having a commitment is good, it means that somebody doesn't get stuck with the job of messing about with cash on the day, and it meant that Nick had the cash to pay for things like the insurance/food without being out of pocket.) 

• Like 2

At 18" long, in clear, a siding will hold 5 short wheelbase wagons so the total capacity of the 2 sidings would be 10 wagons - which is likely to be a reasonable sized proportion of most freight trains.  That should provide plenty of play value operating potential shunting that lot in off a train having picked up the outwards and no doubt having to shunt out a couple from behind the others in that siding.  And keep the single line blocked while shunting - JLTRT, that's what timetables are for (oops, wrong thread).

I think I'd change the second point to a double slip and make the other end a short headhunt, and then not put more than two wagons in either siding. That would at least keep the main clear much of the time

aNDY

• Like 1

Before i start building something, am i right in thinking the current 'standards' for us are:

floor to top of rail = 45''

end board 'depth' = 4''

DCC Bus = 'Banana' connectors

Aesthetic recommended board width = 18''

Track position at end = centre

Double track seperation = 50mm, centred on 18'' end profile centre.

Hi Folks

I have just returned from holiday to find this thread has gone from 4 to 36 pages. I also returned to find my FREMO society magazine had also arrived and in the editorial was a link to a Youtube video of a meeting at Pannonia in Hungary in 2013.

I add the link here because it is a great advert for the concept of 'modular' layouts, (FREMO or FREE-MO or whatever).

I hope you find it enjoyable and encouraging too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYB6SLmHOHs

Dave

Aesthetic recommended board width = 18''

Track position at end = centre

Double track seperation = 50mm, centred on 18'' end profile centre.

As the end board width is only a recommendation (mine probably will not be)

the next two points are similarly recommendations (which similarly may or may not be met)

and the double track spacing still seems uncertain with the Fre(e)mo lobbyists. (Mine will be)

Note I accept that a double track that does not end in the decided specification will only b able to be lined up on a single track - which then makes it a single track module with a siding (that ends on the module join) ie it is still a useful module ... even if the siding becomes disused.

• RMweb Gold

Means I can use the existing US legs for my adaptor board then :)

18", or close to it for Kenton, only applies at the ends you can go narrower or wider within the module. Just measure it up and make a scale drawing once complete to assist the layout planners for a meeting.

• RMweb Gold

i'm not considering leg height yet - it doesn't affect the module itself, so isn't important.

What are we planning for end profiles though ? Norfolk flat with the rails on an embankment, or more hilly with the rails on a hillside ledge, or a deep cutting, or anything and the module-to-module join doesn't have to match ???

• RMweb Premium

I suppose that is one of the compromises that would need to be made. Personally, I would prefer scenic undulations to take place within the module itself having the point of interface with other boards being at board height. It may look a little odd, but in my opinion would look better than a cutting or embankment abruptly finishing at the join.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Gold

A profile that's symmetrical around the centre line is easiest to reverse so I'd suggest flat, cutting or embankment rather than sloping hillside ;)

Flat being easiest as you don't need a profile to copy. There's no reason a profiled one can't be added later and joined to flat with a 6" mini module of a bridge with flat sides as we've seen earlier on here.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

This is how I see myself doing modules hence why leg height being agreed is fundamental to my plans:

Using my already adapted legs that give rail top at 45" with main boards 20" wide then add 6" long adaptor boards ot get down to 18" wide boards.

Any plain modules can then be 18" wide (single track) on new legs to suit.

i'm not considering leg height yet - it doesn't affect the module itself, so isn't important.

What are we planning for end profiles though ? Norfolk flat with the rails on an embankment, or more hilly with the rails on a hillside ledge, or a deep cutting, or anything and the module-to-module join doesn't have to match ???

Legs - Neither am I - it can be done later

At least one of mine will start at a level to adjacent module and will within about 3" start to drop away (leaving the track on an embankment). Another will end in a cutting. Ultimately as track has to meet track the scope for real scenery is somewhat restricted (gradients very difficult to achieve)

Someone somewhere is bound to do a tunnel with a windmill on top .. the portal could start soon after the join - I'm sure there is talent enough out there to do it realistically and no doubt there is a prototype tunnel entrance - somewhere urban perhaps?

[Ed] found one http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?img=67-010-30&serial=42&page=2

just ignore the turntable - the module connected before could even be a big station :D - I'm sure there are others. So no the end of a module does not have to be flat bland and uninspiring landscape - but it could be - perhaps that makes the meet design more interesting and probably more varied in British landscape.

Edited by Kenton

Someone somewhere is bound to do a tunnel with a windmill on top .. the portal could start soon after the join - I'm sure there is talent enough out there to do it realistically and no doubt there is a prototype tunnel entrance - somewhere urban perhaps?

[Ed] found one http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?img=67-010-30&serial=42&page=2

just ignore the turntable - the module connected before could even be a big station :D - I'm sure there are others. So no the end of a module does not have to be flat bland and uninspiring landscape - but it could be - perhaps that makes the meet design more interesting and probably more varied in British landscape.

Can't see the windmill? Although I have visited an (now) urban Windmill in Nottingham

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold

My Taunton module has a bottling warehouse and shunting puzzle on top, no room for a windmill!  The tunnel entrances are a few inches from the ends of the module - not difficult, even for me, to arrange that.

• Like 1